SiouxSports.com Forum

Why Old Logo?

radionews

When they show a stat Sioux related on the bottom of the screen, why does it feature the olg geometric logo??? Is it something to do with the name controversy? Looks stupid since they don't use that logo anymore.

ps-Having a ball watching the Sioux playing great hockey with my Gopher fan Dad tonight!!! All WCHA Frozen Four??? Would be cool

When they show a stat Sioux related on the bottom of the screen, why does it feature the olg geometric logo??? Is it something to do with the name controversy? Looks stupid since they don't use that logo anymore.

ps-Having a ball watching the Sioux playing great hockey with my Gopher fan Dad tonight!!! All WCHA Frozen Four??? Would be cool

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not an expert but I think that the newer UND logo is so detailed that it will not show well in the space allowed on standard definition sets.

I saw this "old logo" situation on TV last night in a sports bar here in California. It really annoyed me, too.

However, this is no worse than the last time UND made the Frozen Four, and the DUFUS announcer said "Notre Dame penalty on......"

good idea but it has been on other broadcasts on differnet channels..they have not shown the sioux on espn since they changed the logo in 2001 so they need to get on top of that by the f-4

I'm not an expert but I think that the newer UND logo is so detailed that it will not show well in the space allowed on standard definition sets.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

good idea but it has been on other broadcasts on differnet channels..they have not shown the sioux on espn since they changed the logo in 2001 so they need to get on top of that by the f-4

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, and the new one was also used when a bigger image was used on ESPN. It is only when the small image is shown that the old one is used. For example when they go to break and show the score.

If the current Sioux logo was used for TV broadcasts, it couldn't be any harder to make out than Denver's logo which some people can't seem to figure out no matter how big it's shown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just what the heck is that thing suppost to be anyways?? I thing it looks like some sort of a mutant Pac-man or something.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not for hockey, but they have for football and they've continued to use the old logo.

I'm not sure, but last I heard the new logo wasn't officially adopted by the university, but since that is what REA uses that is what most products use...I also seem to remember that UND gets a bigger cut from the use of the new logo...funny if it hasn't been officially adopted

If anyone knows for sure please feel free to correct me.

On a side note I found some intresting Frozen Four Stats:

Karl holds the record for lowest GAA and Highest SV% in the FF, ahead of some other guys you may have heard of: Marty Turco and Ken Dryden

the geometric logo is still an officially approved and commercially acceptable logo for UND Athletics (according to the UND.EDU website) - and truth be told it probably does show up better squeezed up in a small scoreboard window than the new logo would. Doesn't bug me...remember...the jerseys on the replays show up a more often than the scoreboard!

Just what the heck is that thing suppost to be anyways?? I thing it looks like some sort of a mutant Pac-man or something.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it's a covered wagon being attacked by an eagle! HELLO!! ;);) jeez, even I could figure that out :angry::lol: (but only after major psychotherapy!)

I just sent ESPN an e-mail asking them why they have still been using the old Sioux logo. Hopefully I either receive an answer back to this question or else we only see the new logo used during the broadcast and on SportsCenter.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sportscenter? Please they didn't show hockey when the NHL was playing, now with plenty of other sports to showcase... Wiffleball, full contact croquet, Jai Ali, and blind folded ping pong balancing with a spoon in your mouth (looking to become olympic). ESPN has no time for the F-4, thus it has been banished to the "deuce".

Been a long time since I have been on the board, but I noticed that the old logo is being used on the front of this forum page as well. Can't they fix that one either?

Good to be back. Hope to make it to Columbus!!! Looks like it will be a "game time" decision for me. I can only make it to the finals so we had better get there (is there any question??)

Later,

Kev