SiouxSports.com Forum

Why is it the same every year?

01grad

Perhaps this has already been covered, but I can't remember.

Why does Michigan always play in Michigan, Boston somewhere near Boston and Minnesota in the Twin Cities? Is it just because of the money knowing that if they make it a point to put these teams further away nobody will travel? Why isn't it in North Dakota or do they just assume Sioux fans will always travel no matter what or where? If it were in North Dakota, would be automatically be put at home instead of heading out to good ole' Boston?

I just don't think it is very fair and it makes it tough for us fans to get tickets away because the home teams always eat them all up. Sure if a team wants to be a champion and the best it shouldn't matter the environment, but I know it does. Look at how good CC has been the past few years and they are always stuck in MI against the home teams. The Sioux are just good enough that they can usually get by their home opponents, except that one year in Mpls.

next years regional is in grand forks. when the sioux get the #1 seed next season we will be placed at home. the sites are determined a few years ahead of time.

here is a link to future regional sites...

http://www.uscho.com/m/ncaad1/#future

Why does Michigan always play in Michigan, Boston somewhere near Boston and Minnesota in the Twin Cities?

Why does Michigan always play in Michigan, Boston somewhere near Boston and Minnesota in the Twin Cities? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually we didn't play here last year.

The locations are bid on in advance by all venues. As the previous post said, next year the Ralph will host a regional and not the Cities. So don't worry, it isn't all a vast Gopher/Boston conspiracy. Altho, money DOES play a role in the selected sites. And seeds also play a role in WHERE a team plays. Concievably this year the Gophs could have hosed themselves out of playing at Mecca and next year UND could get hosed out of playing at the Ralph. It all comes down to consistancy/seeds. Genarelly there is a group of teams that make the field of 16 very consistantly and it seems like they get special treatment, but ithey do not.

WPoS

Concievably this year the Gophs could have hosed themselves out of playing at Mecca and next year UND could get hosed out of playing at the Ralph. 

WPoS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WPoS,

I'm not sure what you mean about how the Gophers could have hosed themselves out of playing at Mariucci. Regardless of whether they had been a #1 or a #4 seed, by NCAA rules, since they are hosting a region, by qualifying for the tournament, whether as the #1 team in the country or #16 just happy to get in, they MUST be placed in their home arena.

What bugs me is that the NCAA picks regions that play on different ice surfaces from where the Frozen Four is.

Is there any other sport with such a descrepency in it's demensions?

Baseball doesn't count, because all of the base paths are the same.

Since hockey moved to the regional format in 1992, counting this year the Gophers have hosted three times. One of those three times in '00, they didn't even qualify.

Of course the Gophers were lucky to be hosting the Frozen Four in a year they had a great team as well. However BC has now shown twice recently and the Gophers have shown in the past that playing the Frozen Four at home isn't always enough.