SiouxSports.com Forum

AJ Thelen Booted

PhillySioux

Lots of fans were complaining that Thelen should have been on Team USA in place of Lee. It looks like there were some other things that Sandelin took into consideration. Lee certianly didn't make a big impact, but I'm sure he wasn't a "cancer" in the locker room either.

Some young players think they are bigger than the game or the team itself and I think it was part of the problem with Vanek. It has gotten so bad that some even think they are worthy of their own press call or conference before they even play a single game. I am glad that we haven't seen this disturbing trend creep into the Sioux dressing room yet, and that despite the hype that could have been generated the Toews family has done their best to keep their son's decision low key. The Parise's were no different.

Some young players think they are bigger than the game or the team itself and I think it was part of the problem with Vanek. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh NOOOOOO... now your going to get Gopher fan in here telling us that Vanek wasn't a cancer in the locker room and that he really did play at both ends of the ice.

Some young players think they are bigger than the game or the team itself and I think it was part of the problem with Vanek.  It has gotten so bad that some even think they are worthy of their own press call or conference before they even play a single game.  I am glad that we haven't seen this disturbing trend creep into the Sioux dressing room yet, and that despite the hype that could have been generated the Toews family has done their best to keep their son's decision low key.  The Parise's were no different.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is an awesome point. The whole press conference was really a little over the top. In fact it was very cocky. Actually I hope the kid falls flat on his face. But that being said, its what Herbie Brooks said, "whats on the front of your jersey is more important than what is on the back of your jersey." I think some of the athletes forget that in this day in age. Thats why I had Basketball so much. The athletes are such punks. I hope hockey doesn't get to be this way too.

I didn't want to single out any other sport but in the back of my mind I was thinking we don't want to become like DI Basketball.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just think of the posse's all of our number 1 picks would have if this was similar to the NBA :D . But for you students, think of all the groupies :D

GO SIOUX!!

That is an awesome point. The whole press conference was really a little over the top. In fact it was very cocky. Actually I hope the kid falls flat on his face.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Has this kid really done anything to this point to warrant someone actually wishing bad things upon him? I never would have said the same thing about Parise no matter what I thought of him, not untill he'd done something extremely out of line and/or criminal. A press conference was held to announce where he's going - maybe it was over the top but just maybe it was slightly beyond his control, but I guess it's enough reason to want him to suck? We as fans benefit from seeing kids succeed when they elect to play college hockey rather than in some other league. You're not even a true fan of college hockey if you want something like that to happen - it's bad for the WCHA and its bad for the game. Unbelievable.

http://www.uscho.com/news/2005/03/08_010231.php

Thelen admits his boozing played a role in getting kicked off spartans.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How naive. Comely may be a moron but he's not an idiot. Everyone knows that hockey players drink. Even idiots know that underage drinking is commonplace in the Universities. I could rant and rave and possibly piss (even) more of you off on this topic. However, what I'm saying is, drinking isn't the main issue that got him kicked off the team.

Thelen is trying to save his name by quoting a mistake. He's looking like a naive fool rather than an mishandled player.

My opinion.

I didn't like to drink the night (though I admit on occasion I was forced to) before my games as a lowly NAIA/NSIC baseball player. His willingness to go out drinking and blow off a commitment shows alot about Thelan's commitment to the Spartan program.

There are other ways to express dissatisfaction with the head coach than blatantly disreguarding team rules/warnings and getting kicked off the team. The defense that others were drinking as well has NEVER worked.

Thelan is still young enough to get his act together, I believe he had accelerated his high school and maybe that was not the best decision. Grades are not his problem, maturity and respect for authority seem to be.

Has this kid really done anything to this point to warrant someone actually wishing bad things upon him? I never would have said the same thing about Parise no matter what I thought of him, not untill he'd done something extremely out of line and/or criminal. A press conference was held to announce where he's going - maybe it was over the top but just maybe it was slightly beyond his control, but I guess it's enough reason to want him to suck? We as fans benefit from seeing kids succeed when they elect to play college hockey rather than in some other league. You're not even a true fan of college hockey if you want something like that to happen - it's bad for the WCHA and its bad for the game. Unbelievable.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol: Blah, Blah, Blah...