SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Football

UND_Hockey

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen parts of practice a couple of different days, but I've only caught the basic offensive and defensive drills and stuff like that so its hard to get real feel for how things are going and who might be ready to make a big impact. I can say that I have paid particular attention to what's going on at the WR spots since there are some openings there.

From what I have seen, it looks like Weston Dressler is going to be the go to receiver and he has looked very good out there, making some terrific catches. Dan Grossman is out for spring practice (I'm not sure what the injury is) and it looks like for the most part anyway, Thomas Loegering has been the number one split end in his absence. I have also watched transfer Martin Tatum closely and while he looks like a very good athlete, he has had trouble catching the football consistently when I have been watching. Maybe it was just a coincidence or whatever, but I'm just reporting what I have seen.

As an aside, does anyone know if the team still practices at the same time on Saturdays as it does on the weekdays? I'd like to go check out practice for awhile tomorrow if I know when it is for sure.

From what I understand, Jordan Muro is not enrolled for this spring semester. This may be a concern regarding this years rotation at nose guard as well as next years depth. Two players(Ducscher and the oft-injured Ross Brennan) are seniors,and the other Wolffe, are the only returninees. I wonder if Enger will see time at nose or perhaps Richter(if fuuly recovered) will get reps at that position.

Dan Grossman is out for spring practice (I'm not sure what the injury is) and it looks like for the most part anyway, Thomas Loegering has been the number one split end in his absence. I have also watched transfer Martin Tatum closely and while he looks like a very good athlete, he has had trouble catching the football consistently when I have been watching.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Grossman had surgery on his shoulder a couple months ago. I am not sure when he is supposed to be healthy again. From what I am hearing is that most of the Receivers are out with injuries right now. I heard that there are only 6 of them right now that are practicing on a daily basis.

Grossman had surgery on his shoulder a couple months ago. I am not sure when he is supposed to be healthy again. From what I am hearing is that most of the Receivers are out with injuries right now. I heard that there are only 6 of them right now that are practicing on a daily basis.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We well be tailgating on the East side.Look for the Motor Home with the Welcome Sioux Fan sign.It starts at 10.00AM and the scrimmage starts at 1.00PM .Everyone is welcome We well have the grills going ,so bring your favorite food and brew. .My system cant wait for that morning BREW.Its been a long time waiting

Lennon was on the tim and swyg. show this morning talking about practices. He did praise dressler quite a bit today. He also said he has received many calls from former players asking if there was going to be tailgaiting on saturday. Lennon was hoping there would be a great crowd of tailgaiters and hoping for a nice day. Should be a fun event. I hope the sioux faithful show up early and enjoy the day. I wonder if everybody remembers where there old spots at memorial are?

To reply to the Dan G thing. He had surgury on his shoulder. And also about the whole nose guard situation..It doesn't matter that Muro is gone because shane d and adam w will do an awesome job their. While at the same time ross b will move out to play d-end. That is were he has been this spring. That gives the d-line two SOLID lines wether it being Jason P shane d and Enger, or ross b adam w and the young buck alex c. There is no limit to all the rotations you can have with that beef. the receivers do look pretty good with the young core that they have. With Lee G moving back to receiver they gain even more experience. Plus shane d is my favorite player in the whole world.

To reply to the Dan G thing. He had surgury on his shoulder. And also about the whole nose guard situation..It doesn't matter that Muro is gone because shane d and adam w will do an awesome job their. While at the same time ross b will move out to play d-end. That is were he has been this spring. That gives the d-line two SOLID lines wether it being Jason P shane d and Enger, or ross b adam w and the young buck alex c. There is no limit to all the rotations you can have with that beef. the receivers do look pretty good with the young core that they have. With Lee G moving back to receiver they gain even more experience. Plus shane d is my favorite player in the whole world.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you telling us that Lee G. has moved back to receiver or that you think he will?

Any other observations? How are all the new faces on the offensive line looking?

In the paper on it had the depth charts and listed Lee G at receiver also I noticed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If someone has a lot of time on their hands, it would be great it if they posted the depth charts here. I could not find it on the Herald website.

If someone has a lot of time on their hands, it would be great it if they posted the depth charts here. I could not find it on the Herald website.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Defense

OLB: 1. Dahlen; 2. Babington-Johnson

OLB: 1. Maier; 2. S. Brennan

ILB: 1. Anderson; 2. Halstenson

ILB: 1. Ullsperger; 2. Meek

NG: 1. Duchscher; 2. Wolff

DE: 1. Enger; 2. R. Brennan

DE: 1. Peterson; 2. Cadwell

SS: 1. Gagner; 2. DeSautel

FS: 1. Brandsted; 2. Greenwood

CB: 1. Hoffschneider; 2. Weigelt

CB: 1. Alexander; 2. Longe

Offense

QB: 1. Belmore; 2. Manke

TB: 1. Strouth; 2. Beatty

FB: 1. Christensen; 2. Thomas

SE: 1. Groeschl; 2. Loegering

FL: 1. Dressler; 2. Grossman

TE: 1. Kusler; 2. Mielke

LT: 1. Hoffelt; 2. Bauer

LG: 1. Braegelmann; 2. Soll

C: 1. Storhaug; 2. Muscha

RG: 1. Kuper; 2. Troen

RT: 1. Buisker; 2. Bronson

I was surprised not see Franklin as at least a backup corner. Is he still on the team?

So does anyone know why Groeschl switched again already.....did coaching sway him or did he realize playing time was much easier at receiver?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was at part of the scrimmage on Saturday and noticed that Groeschl was back at receiver. Whatever the deal was with switching back, it was a smart move for both him and the team. He would have been no better than third on the depth chart at QB (behind two guys in the same class) and he's too good of an athlete to stand on the sidelines and watch. With him back at receiver, I'm a lot more comfortable with the talent and depth at that position going into the year.

Defense

OLB: 1. Dahlen; 2. Babington-Johnson

OLB: 1. Maier; 2. S. Brennan

ILB: 1. Anderson; 2. Halstenson

ILB: 1. Ullsperger; 2. Meek

NG: 1. Duchscher; 2. Wolff

DE: 1. Enger; 2. R. Brennan

DE: 1. Peterson; 2. Cadwell

SS: 1. Gagner; 2. DeSautel

FS: 1. Brandsted; 2. Greenwood

CB: 1. Hoffschneider; 2. Weigelt

CB: 1. Alexander; 2. Longe

I was surprised not see Franklin as at least a backup corner. Is he still on the team?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have no idea what the deal with Franklin is. I can't say I've noticed him at all this spring. I believe he has had grade troubles before, so who knows.

I think it goes without saying that this defense is going to be outstanding. I don't believe I'm exagerrating at all in saying that this defense should rank right up there with the 2001 UND defense and could be among the best in Division II history.

Just some interesting facts on the 2005 Sioux defense:

*There are six players (Anderson, Dahlen, Duchscher, Peterson, Brandsted, Gagner) that were named All-NCC last year. Anderson and Gagner were All-Americans according to several publications and both have been named conference MVP at their position groups.

*It appears that there will be seven senior starters and nine seniors overall in the rotation. Five of the juniors (Ullsberger, S. Brennan, DeSautel, Babington-Johnson, Hoffschneider) have been regulars in the rotation since their freshman seasons.

*There will be two 4-year starters (Anderson, Gagner) and five 3-year starters (Hoffschneider, Brandsted, Duchscher, Maier, Dahlen) in the lineup.

It's hard to fault a unit that led the nation in scoring defense last year, but there are a couple of areas that I think could use some improvement going into this fall if this defense is going to rank up there with the all-time best:

1) Believe it or not, tighten things up a bit against the run. I know 107 yards per game on the ground is not exactly porous and when you face running backs the quality of Jamar Day (UNO), Jermaine Race (Pittsburg State), Stefan Logan (USD), Lee Marana (Harlon Hill finalist from MTU), and Matt Birkel (SCSU) twice-- you're going to give up some yards. But UND gave up some big plays on the ground at times last year. That needs to be addressed and I think it will with the defensive line being another year deeper and stronger.

2) Force more turnovers. Last year's defense forced I believe 32 turnovers in 14 games and I don't believe any were forced in any of the three losses. By contrast, the 2001 defense forced 45 turnovers in 15 games and scored six defensive touchdowns.

3) Develop a shutdown corner (or two would be even better :silly: ). Ryan Manke was sensational last year and he essentially took away a third of the field by himself. Craig Riendeau did the same thing for the 2001 defense. Hoffschneider was much improved last year but still had a tendency at times to give up the big play. The two guys on the depth chart on the other side (Alexander and Longe) are extremely talented but unproven. Someone needs to step up and become the guy that can lock up the receiver on his side of the field every down.

I was a little surprised that Storhaug is listed as the starting center at this point. I figured Braegelmann may more over to that slot. Obviously I hope Storhaug can handle the job, and if he does he would be the smallest UND starting offensive lineman in many, many years, at least in terms of height. I don't recall the last starting lineman who was under 6'0".