SiouxSports.com Forum

Thoughts on the Sioux Badger Series

JMissile

Glad we won but what is with the conservative approach once we went up 3-2?  It was like there were 5 Sioux defensemen out there for over 10 minutes in the 3rd.  I know the Alaska announcers commented on this last Saturday when the roof caved in during the 3rd period and we lost.  Just wondering what others think.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wonder if this may have been an overreaction to the recent onslaught of fast goals given up after we've scored as well as our incredible inability to hold one goal leads.

And Federov, no, I mean for at least the 2nd and 3rd periods. The first was pretty rough, I believe (UW got both of their goals in the first I think?). But we're the only scorers after the first period ended.

It's odd to say this, but the first period is definitely our worst on average, IMO.

You know, another positive is that after Bucky's 2nd goal the Sioux came back with an answer in about a minute and a half. Yes, Bucky answered the Sioux's first goal in a couple of minutes, but nice to see us taking it right back at them later.

Steps in the right direction!

You know, another positive is that after Bucky's 2nd goal the Sioux came back with an answer in about a minute and a half.  Yes, Bucky answered the Sioux's first goal in a couple of minutes, but nice to see us taking it right back at them later.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is, isn't it!!!!

I'm happy! I truly am! It's nice to feel this way about the team.

You know, another positive is that after Bucky's 2nd goal the Sioux came back with an answer in about a minute and a half.  Yes, Bucky answered the Sioux's first goal in a couple of minutes, but nice to see us taking it right back at them later.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Sioux won the 2nd period because, for the most part, they got to the puck first. Parise saved the game for the Sioux tonight, I must admit...Hopefully, they will carry this into Sunday and win...I know I said this last week too. Let's hope it comes true this time...

Interesting of note: I think the top players recently have been Greene, Jones, Zajac, FABIAN, Porter, Spirko, and JORDAN PARISE. Notice the two I capitalized. One is a sometime warrior, the other is a much maligned goaltender.

I think Zajac and Spirko have been the two freshmen with the most impact. I think Radke has been the most underutilized (recently despite good play they've been finding every excuse it seems not to play him). Biggest disappointment has to be Kaip. No, not for his play. but because he played so well while he was healthy and then lost the season to injury.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree that Kaip has been the most disappointing freshman regardless of injury. In my opinion there is no doubt it is Radke. The coaches just must have no confidence in him if Marvin is playing over him in the biggest game of the year to date today. The way it sounded when we recruited him he was going to be a regular in the line up and make an impact as a freshman. In the games I have seen Radke play he just does not look comfortable out there. If Greene leaves to the AHL after the season Smaby will be our only defenseman with any experience besides maybe Bina and that is scary since Smaby has been shaky much of his time at UND. We will be strong at forward next year but very inexperienced at d next year. I do not feel that Kaip played that well while he was healthy either, he was OK but 4 assists in 20 some games is not exactly tearing it up for a player described by Blais as "like McMahon but with a better scoring touch"

I disagree that Kaip has been the most disappointing freshman regardless of injury. In my opinion there is no doubt it is Radke. The coaches just must have no confidence in him if Marvin is playing over him in the biggest game of the year to date today. The way it sounded when we recruited him he was going to be a regular in the line up and make an impact as a freshman. In the games I have seen Radke play he just does not look comfortable out there. If Greene leaves to the AHL after the season Smaby will be our only defenseman with any experience besides maybe Bina and that is scary since Smaby has been shaky much of his time at UND. We will be strong at forward next year but very inexperienced at d next year. I do not feel that Kaip played that well while he was healthy either, he was OK but 4 assists in 20 some games is not exactly tearing it up for a player described by Blais as "like McMahon but with a better scoring touch"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I understand why you'd see Radke as a disappointment. Radke has played sparingly for reasons unknown. He has had a shaky first half, but his second half was far better. Then, suddenly, he's pulled off the ice. So, yes, I could see how that is a disappointment, but Radke has been far from the worst player on the team.

I feel that, once he's actually allowed to play more, Radke will turn it around and continue improving. No way will I give up on him. And Smaby's second half has been much better than his first as well.

As for Kaip, uh, he didn't really have a chance to acclimate to the DI game before getting sidelined. I think he was living up to expectations. Rory didn't score a whole heckuvalot until his junior season. He had maybe 7 goals a season his first two years. If Kaip had played all of the games, I don't know how many goals he would have scored, but perhaps he would be somewhere around there? And besides, his forechecking was solid and he wasn't beaten very often. I actually think he would have been more effective as a checking forward than Fylling has been this year had he stayed healthy.

Hopefully Kaip can make a full comeback from his concussion next year and be a valuable member of the team. Radke will be depended on next year on d and that is why I think it is strange that he rides the pine consistently. My only conclusion is that he just does not look good in practice unless there is something off the ice....classroom etc??

I am really surprised that Radke has been riding the bench the last few series. I thought he was really starting to look good out there and gain some confidence. Strange that he sits in favor of Marvin now, especially being that the Sioux will count on him next year to step up.

With the win over Wisco, plus other helpful games, the Sioux climb to #12 in the PWR, and tied for #9 with a 3-2-1 bonus. A sweep over the Badgers would help us out tremendously in gaining a bid in the tourney, I hope the boys can go out there and get it done tomorrow afternoon....

I am really surprised that Radke has been riding the bench the last few series.  I thought he was really starting to look good out there and gain some confidence.  Strange that he sits in favor of Marvin now, especially being that the Sioux will count on him next year to step up.

With the win over Wisco, plus other helpful games, the Sioux climb to #12 in the PWR, and tied for #9 with a 3-2-1 bonus.  A sweep over the Badgers would help us out tremendously in gaining a bid in the tourney, I hope the boys can go out there and get it done tomorrow afternoon....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is more of what I was thinking as well. Radke had a very rough start to his DI career, which is why I understood where that other poster was coming from, but he was turning it around and gaining confidence. The last thing you'd want to do is to bench a player who is just coming into his own at the level. It could just reset all of the progress that he mae.

I hope Radke remembers what good progress he's made this season thus far so that when he does reenter the lineup, he won't have to regain it all. And I definitely hope it isn't academic or other off ice issues.

I am really surprised that Radke has been riding the bench the last few series.  I thought he was really starting to look good out there and gain some confidence.  Strange that he sits in favor of Marvin now, especially being that the Sioux will count on him next year to step up.

With the win over Wisco, plus other helpful games, the Sioux climb to #12 in the PWR, and tied for #9 with a 3-2-1 bonus.  A sweep over the Badgers would help us out tremendously in gaining a bid in the tourney, I hope the boys can go out there and get it done tomorrow afternoon....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I must not work the USCHO.COM pairwise right. When I add 3-2-1 bonus, I show the Sioux tied for 5th. Don't you just change the numbers to 3.0 for road, 2.0 for neutral, and 1.0 for home?

We saw that at times in past years too.  I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment on whether it was a good idea or not.  Sometimes though, it does seem that a team that has been attacking and winning changes to a more defensive posture and suddenly the other team starts scoring.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dags, I think UND worked it to prefection, shut it down and give them nothing. Your goalie has to be sharp too and Jordan was last night. I am sure that Lammy will probably get the start tonight.