SiouxSports.com Forum

Replays at the Ralph

yepdude

Do they try and upset the whole rink by not playing a quasi-sketchy play. i.e. I wanted to see what Matt Greene was going balistic about against DU. So I keep watching the screen and ..... nada. Or any of those close goals, I would loved to have seen a replay just once. I don't care who is in the crowd, I want a damn replay.

End rant

Weird that the Ralph decided early on not to show replays in fairness for the Referees and as a sign of being "politically correct." Yet, the arena proudly displays thousands of the Best college logo in America.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only thing that I can think of is there is an NCAA rule that disallows you from showing a replay of a questionable call. Or basically they are trying to be PC, which is then gutless. Show the replay. The officiating that weekend was horrible at best.

Wasn't there a post somewhere on here recently that after showing a disputed goal Blais gave the "use your head" sign to the replay guy? I took that to mean that Blais didn't want some close calls up on replay in case the ref blew a call in UND's favor and would later want to make up for it.

I don't know. Just the way I took it.

The only thing that I can think of is there is an NCAA rule that disallows you from showing a replay of a questionable call.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's it. Greg Shepherd was in the press box during one game of the Canisius series when they showed a replay on the scoreboard involving a penalty. He made a comment about that not being allowed and seemed rather upset by it. I'm guessing that he talked to someone at the Ralph or UND and told them they had to comply with the NCAA rules..

That's it. Greg Shepherd was in the press box during one game of the Canisius series when they showed a replay on the scoreboard involving a penalty. He made a comment about that not being allowed and seemed rather upset by it. I'm guessing that he talked to someone at the Ralph or UND and told them they had to comply with the NCAA rules..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That shouldn't prevent them from showing a questionable goal on the big screen.

Greg Sheppard is a horses @$$, anyone who hires his son and then does nothing when his officating is that bad is wrong. I say show the questionable goal get the crowd involved.

That shouldn't prevent them from showing a questionable goal on the big screen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think they're supposed to show anything that questions a referee's call. They don't want the crowd involved in "helping" the referee make a decision..

I remember at the 2001 Final Five championship game when SCSU scored the game-winner in overtime, those of us at the Excel were in the dark about what the replay showed. It wasn't until after I got home and watched the tape of the game that I knew exactly what happened on the play.

I don't think they're supposed to show anything that questions a referee's call. They don't want the crowd involved in "helping" the referee make a decision..

I remember at the 2001 Final Five championship game when SCSU scored the game-winner in overtime, those of us at the Excel were in the dark about what the replay showed. It wasn't until after I got home and watched the tape of the game that I knew exactly what happened on the play.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that is wrong, I would you need people to see the replay to keep the officals honest. So it appears the officials are strong arming the league building into not questioning the refs call. Making them all powerful Oh no you can't question the officials. I saw the hell with them especially in this league were they are refs leaving too much subjectivity in their calling the game based on their personal opinions of various teams (for instance Todd Anderson, Don Adam and Derek Sheppard have axes to grind against UND so UND suffers from bad officiating). Shepards waving the goal off that was in the net was a bad and it should have been showed on the screen.

The only thing that I can think of is there is an NCAA rule that disallows you from showing a replay of a questionable call.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is there really an NCAA rule? Could it be a WCHA rule? The Alerus shows football replays without anyone questioning them, doesn't it? If there is video replay capability in an arena, I would argue that it is unethical not to show a replay.

Is there really an NCAA rule?  Could it be a WCHA rule?  The Alerus shows football replays without anyone questioning them, doesn't it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe it is a WCHA rule. I just know that Shepherd said the REA wasn't supposed to show replays of questionable calls and that this policy has been in effect at the WCHA Final Five tournaments I've attended.

Plus, there's also the question of whether people know the rules exist and, if so, how well they adhere to them. Until Shepherd got upset, replays were almost always shown at the Ralph. But I've noticed that since Shepherd got irritated, the REA has cut back on the replays it shows.

To answer yepdudes question about why Matt Greene was upset vs. Denver is because the refs didn't call penalty when there should have been an obvious interference penalty at the Sioux blue line and Denver proceeded to score. Instead of Sioux Powerplay it was a DU goal. Big swing in the game.

All you have to do is convince the WCHA to change the policy. Good luck at getting that done.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you have the email address? I will fire one off to the league office. I was meaning to send an email anyways about the level of officating I have witnessed this season.

Is there really an NCAA rule? Could it be a WCHA rule? The Alerus shows football replays without anyone questioning them, doesn't it? If there is video replay capability in an arena, I would argue that it is unethical not to show a replay.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They show every replay on the screen and I like it. I think the WCHA Is a little defensive about their officials being questioned or it just appears to be that way.

I think the coaches need to bring it up at the WCHA meetings this season.

This is one of the most rediculous things i have ever seen. It is my feeling that a person who buys a hockey ticket and sits in the seats at a hockey game has a "right" to see a replay if its available. The WCHA should have no control over what is shown, FOX and their NFL coverage show replays at super slow motion and prove often that the Official made a wrong call. Get real and show the replays of what "really" happened not what Todd Anderson saw in his airhead with his own blind eyes.

I think the replay should be shown...I know in the past I've disagreed with a call, but then saw the replay and saw that the correct call was made. The officials need to not be so thin-skinned when it comes to this type of thing. They're supposed to be unbiased anyway...what does it matter what the crowd thinks?

Don't know if it is a league thing or not. If it is DU should be getting in trouble. On UMD's fifth goal tonight it looked like Peluso tipped it in with a high stick. Mason reviewed the goal and let it stand. The anouncers said the crowd started to boo when they got another look on the big screen. If they show replays of questionable calls in Denver they should show them at the Ralph. :silly:

The way it is in the WCHA with fans giving officials a hard time, I can see why they wouldn't want to play the replays, however, an official has the final say on plays in the game, so whats the difference with showing or not showing a replay, there have been some goals where i would have loved to see it from a closer angle.

This has got to be one of the most stupid rules ever. These are the plays that often determine the game and as fans we obviously want to see them - whether or not they go for or against our team. We all know (or should know) that questionable calls happen, but at least let us see how the play developed! And as for PC, its not like the refs are not used to getting boo'd anyways ???

I remember reading that when the Alerus and REA opened up they weren't going to show close calls on the replay boards. I don't remember any rule saying why they wouldn't show them. It does seem that the Alerus has gone from showing no questionable calls when it opened to last year showing replays of everything.

I remember reading that when the Alerus and REA opened up they weren't going to show close calls on the replay boards.  I don't remember any rule saying why they wouldn't show them.  It does seem that the Alerus has gone from showing no questionable calls when it opened to last year showing replays of everything.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't recall the Alerus showing replays of questionable calls. They showed replays of everything else though.

At the Ralph, they barely show replays at all, questionable or otherwise.