Sioux Vs DU

Shawn-O

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please, please, please,

If we make the tourney, and I know that is a big IF; SEND US OUT EAST. It is easy to forget that 6 of the 7 best teams in the nation are in the WCHA. Of course the Polls can't show that, because we play each other so much.

Yep, give me Harvard in the first round. Maybe we can pull the upset.

It sounds like the Sioux have played pretty well against CC in both games, and now against Denver - the two top teams in the country. They have a decent shot at being respectable in the playoffs if they keep playing as well as they have been (I'm conveniently forgetting about Bemidji), and I'd certainly settle for seeing them win a game or two in the NCAAs in Hakstol's first year.

Add Murray to the team that played tonight, and I like them a bit more. Keep working hard, and the goals will eventually come.

John

When you call Coach Haks voicemail, this is the message you receive.......

Press 1 if you have seen James Massen. We have been looking for him the last four years

Press 2 if you can't figure out how guys like Pat O'Leary get cut and guys like Canady continue to get playing time

Press 3 if you think it is pathetic that our 2nd best forward line has two guys that should be playing defense (Bina/Foyt)

Press 4 if you like how we cycle the puck without anyone in front of the net

Press 5 if you think our defense looked like swiss cheese tonight. Normally you don't get to see that many 2 on 1's except in a squirt game

Press 6 if all of our woes are due to "puck luck"

Press 7 if you are surprised at my performance this year. What did you expect bringing in a lifetime .500 player/coach to lead the most storied program in college?

Press 8 if you know who BringDeanBack and Central for Life are. They are hurting my feelings

Press 9 if you are Toews and have changed your mind.

Well last week nobody agreed with me that the WCHA officiating crews have the ability to change the game, but does anyone want to change their stance? I just don't understand how the incompetence can continue.

MK, the DU player was taunting the Sioux. If someone sticking up for the team is a bore to you, then you should be happy with the lack of leadership this year. :silly:

For a moment, John, I thought I was going to be the only positive poster tonite.

Just got back from watching the game. THANKS JOE SENSER!

1. I don't think Lammy had one of his best nights. I think he'd like to have 1 or maybe 2 of those back, and it looked like he struggled to control the puck on a few saves too. Oh, did I say PLEASE DON'T HANDLE THE PUCK before?

2. I think the Sioux played well enough to win tonite, obviously so did Denver unfortunately. However, while I don't think it cost us the game, I'm going to say tonite they didn't get the bounces. If you read my recap last week you know I didn't lightly fall back on that excuse. And I don't think it's an excuse either. Tonite Denver made the most of their chances. I think they may have piped one too? But when Fischer goes whirling dervish and by pure luck the puck hits the front of his pad and kicks out (it just as easily could have bounced off the back of his pad and into the net) and a puck bounces up over his shoulder but just happens to travel 2, maybe 3, inches too far and lands on top of the net it's just not your night. Sioux didn't connect on a few of their very best chances, but were close. I'm yet holding out hope that we'll see 5-6 goals yet in an important game. This team is close to doing it.

3. Leadership. We've been wondering where it would come from. Tonite I thought the first line of Stafford-Zajac-Spirko came out with the idea that they would carry the team. They came up short, but IMO put forth a wonderful effort and gave Denver fits all night long.

4. Spirko MIGHT be our best player. Can he control the puck or what?

5. I thought Schneider might have been our hardest worker. Jones was excellent again tonite as well. He's a stud.

6. Smaby had a solid game. Way to go Matt!

7. Radke looked pretty good to me. I'm going to assume he's playing with much more confidence and I base that on how physical he played, as well as some of the decisions he made with the puck. I've only read other's comments on his play to this point, but he appears to have become an effective defensemen and based on tonite I think he'll get regular ice time from here on.

8. We had one excellent line tonite, and 1 decent line tonite, and the other 2 worked hard and did create some chances, but we lack depth (as if you didn't already know that).

9. I thought the Sioux did an excellent job of avoiding unnecessary penalties and playing a physical smart hockey game tonite EXCEPT for Canady giving the shoulder to the goalie. I like you Brian, and you busted your butt out there tonite but you have to know when to lay off and this penalty was obvious.

10. I was so afraid right after we scored that Denver would come right back and score. WHY do we look SO ragged right after we score a goal? What's up with that?

11. IMO we had guys crashing the net tonite looking for rebounds, they just weren't rebounds at the right time.

12. Overall, what I saw on TV still has me feeling optimistic. Maybe I shouldn't be but I am. This is still a team I can cheer for easily. They kept working all night long, kept trying to create some chances and created enough to give themselves a chance to the end. I'm already looking forward to tomorrow night. Wish I could watch again.

13. Transition game looked MUCH better tonite. We really seemed to know better what to do with the puck in our own zone. Much improved over what I saw last Friday night.

13. Met a couple of nice Sioux fans while sitting there at the bar. Don't know if you guys read or post but here's to you if you do.

p.s. I watched bits of the WI-MN game and I didn't think WI looked great tonite, but obviously good enough to win. They didn't look that fast to me, but maybe that was the big ice.

Hey Dagies, are you at Senser's in Bloomington? I'll join you tomorrow night if you reply and you're going back...

John

For a moment, John, I thought I was going to be the only positive poster tonite.

Just got back from watching the game.  THANKS JOE SENSER!

1.  I don't think Lammy had one of his best nights.  I think he'd like to have 1 or maybe 2 of those back, and it looked like he struggled to control the puck on a few saves too.  Oh, did I say PLEASE DON'T HANDLE THE PUCK before?

2.  I think the Sioux played well enough to win tonite, obviously so did Denver unfortunately.  However, while I don't think it cost us the game, I'm going to say tonite they didn't get the bounces.  If you read my recap last week you know I didn't lightly fall back on that excuse.  And I don't think it's an excuse either.  Tonite Denver made the most of their chances.  I think they may have piped one too?  But when Fischer goes whirling dervish and by pure luck the puck hits the front of his pad and kicks out (it just as easily could have bounced off the back of his pad and into the net) and a puck bounces up over his shoulder but just happens to travel 2, maybe 3, inches too far and lands on top of the net it's just not your night.  Sioux didn't connect on a few of their very best chances, but were close.  I'm yet holding out hope that we'll see 5-6 goals yet in an important game.  This team is close to doing it.

3.  Leadership.  We've been wondering where it would come from.  Tonite I thought the first line of Stafford-Zajac-Spirko came out with the idea that they would carry the team.  They came up short, but IMO put forth a wonderful effort and gave Denver fits all night long. 

4.  Spirko MIGHT be our best player.  Can he control the puck or what? 

5.  I thought Schneider might have been our hardest worker.  Jones was excellent again tonite as well.  He's a stud.

6.  Smaby had a solid game.  Way to go Matt!

7.  Radke looked pretty good to me.  I'm going to assume he's playing with much more confidence and I base that on how physical he played, as well as some of the decisions he made with the puck.  I've only read other's comments on his play to this point, but he appears to have become an effective defensemen and based on tonite I think he'll get regular ice time from here on.

8.  We had one excellent line tonite, and 1 decent line tonite, and the other 2 worked hard and did create some chances, but we lack depth (as if you didn't already know that).

9.  I thought the Sioux did an excellent job of avoiding unnecessary penalties and playing a physical smart hockey game tonite EXCEPT for Canady giving the shoulder to the goalie.  I like you Brian, and you busted your butt out there tonite but you have to know when to lay off and this penalty was obvious.

10.  I was so afraid right after we scored that Denver would come right back and score.  WHY do we look SO ragged right after we score a goal?  What's up with that?

11.  IMO we had guys crashing the net tonite looking for rebounds, they just weren't rebounds at the right time.

12.  Overall, what I saw on TV still has me feeling optimistic.  Maybe I shouldn't be but I am.  This is still a team I can cheer for easily.  They kept working all night long, kept trying to create some chances and created enough to give themselves a chance to the end.  I'm already looking forward to tomorrow night.  Wish I could watch again.

13.  Transition game looked MUCH better tonite.  We really seemed to know better what to do with the puck in our own zone.  Much improved over what I saw last Friday night.

13.  Met a couple of nice Sioux fans while sitting there at the bar.  Don't know if you guys read or post but here's to you if you do.

p.s.  I watched bits of the WI-MN game and I didn't think WI looked great tonite, but obviously good enough to win.  They didn't look that fast to me, but maybe that was the big ice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

p.s.  I watched bits of the WI-MN game and I didn't think WI looked great tonite, but obviously good enough to win.  They didn't look that fast to me, but maybe that was the big ice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

UW dominated the special teams and goaltending battles tonight. Hopefully better for everyone tomorrow night.

Hey fellas,

Depressing night. I had to work so I was just waiting for phone calls. When the 'Dogs tied it up, I thought they had a prayer. Not so much, as it turned out.

I see the Gophers getting swept in Wisconsin. They're done. I hope we see them in the first round.

We bought the TV webcast so no posting tomorrow night. Good luck, try for a split.

The bounces really didnt go their way, Prpich got robbed on the one that hit the post and the goalies leg pad, one puck landed on top of the net. In the last 6 minutes they couldnt do anything to score. They had to of outshot DU by at least 10. Overall a good effort put out. Lammy could have had the 2 five hole goals but he still didnt play that bad.

Hey fellas,

Depressing night. I had to work so I was just waiting for phone calls. When the 'Dogs tied it up, I thought they had a prayer. Not so much, as it turned out.

I see the Gophers getting swept in Wisconsin. They're done. I hope we see them in the first round.

We bought the TV webcast so no posting tomorrow night. Good luck, try for a split.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While the Gophers aren't playing well and may get swept, there is only two Minnesota teams with a shot at the tourney. And only one in the WCHA.

So tell me again, who is it that is done?

While the Gophers aren't playing well and may get swept, there is only two Minnesota teams with a shot at the tourney. And only one in the WCHA.

So tell me again, who is it that is done?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, #1, I was referring to the FINAL FIVE. I guess that wasn't clear, sorry. But I saw the Gophers play last Saturday, and it was a sad, sad effort. I saw them play against Tech, too, and they looked like crap. We got beat by Tech tonight, but at least we made it to overtime. If we face the Gophers in the first round of the WCHA PLAYOFFS they will be watching from the stands. And crying.

Ok, #1, I was referring to the FINAL FIVE. I guess that wasn't clear, sorry. But I saw the Gophers play last Saturday, and it was a sad, sad effort. I saw them play against Tech, too, and they looked like crap.  We got beat by Tech tonight, but at least we made it to overtime. If we face the Gophers in the first round of the WCHA PLAYOFFS they will be watching from the stands. And crying.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So it will be kind of like the weekend after the Final Five then, when the Gophers are @ Mariucci and the dogs are home crying?

You really need the Sioux and UW badly tomorrow if you want any shot at the Gophs in the 1st round. Might as well not even watch the UMD/Tech game eh?

Sorry to all for cluttering up the game thread. Good night an good luck to all tomorrow, even the Dogz. :silly:

Lammy could have had the 2 five hole goals but he still didnt play that bad.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're kidding right? DU scores on its second shot of the night, high glove side. Lammy had a full on look at it but swiped at it and missed. It was a good shot, but he should have made that stop. He was not screened. DU hits the post on the third shot (and by the grace of God, it wasn't 2-0). Third goal, Lammy was hung out to dry, but again, had a full on look and should have made the stop. On the fourth goal, the puck trickled in after going under the blade of his stick. Not his best effort is the understatement of the season.

As an aside, I think I must be sitting next to Lammy's dad (he's in 116, F, Seat 10). To this guy, Lammy can do no wrong. Earlier in the year, I thought he was going to have a fit when I said I thought JPar should be playing. When Canady ran the DU goalie, I commented the he shouldn't have taken that cheap shot and this guy told me that Canady hardly touched him, when it was freaking obvious that Canady had intended to take the guy"s head off...really stupid. Anyway, I didn't say anything bad about Lammy because, as I've said, the guy is hyper-sensitive about him and might start hyperventilating if I do...I do think Lammy played terribly and needs a long rest....

You're kidding right? DU scores on its second shot of the night, high glove side. Lammy had a full on look at it but swiped at it and missed. It was a good shot, but he should have made that stop. He was not screened. DU hits the post on the third shot (and by the grace of God, it wasn't 2-0). Third goal, Lammy was hung out to dry, but again, had a full on look and should have made the stop. On the fourth goal, the puck trickled in after going under the blade of his stick. Not his best effort is the understatement of the season.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're dead wrong Super. I won't defend Lammy for his performance tonite, but the first goal he was horribly screened. I don't remember if it was Fylling or Fuher, but Lammy had no chance at that shot. It happened right in front of me.

The third DU goal was weak, and Phil knew he'd given up a heartbreaker as it whizzed by him. The fourth Lammy and the whole team gave up because Derek Shepherd missed an OBVIOUS pick that happened right in front of him...I don't think he was 5 feet behind the play when it happened. The team pulled up thinking the whistle was coming; Lammy relaxed, and the next thing you know its 4-2.

All in all, I'm ditto-ing Daggies.

I really thought the Sioux had a chance to win that game. The shots ended up pretty even after things sort of got away from them in the second. Spirko, Stafford and Zajac were flying. Other than running the DU goalie, I don't think there was a stupid penalty. And even missing the pick, I didn't think Derek Shepherd called that bad of a game.

Matt Smaby looked good, no tentativeness; Andy was awesome. Colby Genoway...too bad he's not going to be around for a couple more years...I really like the way he seems to take control when things get a little skitterish out there.

I hate to say it, but this club has absolutely no puck luck. I've never seen so many pucks jump over sticks, so many pipes and crossbars. I'm starting to feel really badly for them. It was embarassing to see so many "fans" leaving the game early tonight.

Suck it up guys, and keep working like you did tonight...the puck's gotta start hitting the twine!

I only saw the first half of the game, but here is my take. Lammy didn't have a very good game. I thought he should have had that first goal for sure.

Stafford, Zajac, Spirko are the best offensive players on the team. Two freshmen and a soph. That's kind of pathetic. The class of '00-01 has been the biggest disappointment I've ever seen, offensively.

Sioux are still over-passing. Remember the 2-on-0 rush where Canady couldn't get his stick on the feed across the net? Shoot the puck when you are in the slot! The other guy can take the rebound, especially when that guy has produced almost no points in his career.

And Canady, I thought you were over the stupid penalty phase. Guess not. Stop hurting the team.

The puck bounces over the DU goalie's shoulder and onto the top of the net. Are you freakin' kidding me?

This team is 1-3-1 in it's last 5 games, and that includes BSU. "Puck luck" is not even applicable. "We are cursed" is probably more like it.

I liked the work ethic tonight. A solid game, but the same old problems continue to plague UND. Missed chances. Dumb penalties.

Go Sioux.