SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire up those resumes!

The Sicatoka

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the WDAZ sports tonight, Purpur has finally applied.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does anyone know Purpur? Obviously, he is one of, if not the, favorite to get the job. Obviously, working at Stanford gives him a hell of a resume but I think his primary focus there was facilities. There is no question that a facilities background would be very beneficial at UND (with the Ralph, Betty and Alerus) but I sure hope he has more experience than that.

Again, not a negative comment. Just curious if anyone knows more about his experience.

Does anyone know Purpur?  Obviously, he is one of, if not the, favorite to get the job.  Obviously, working at Stanford gives him a hell of a resume but I think his primary focus there was facilities.  There is no question that a facilities background would be very beneficial at UND (with the Ralph, Betty and Alerus) but I sure hope he has more experience than that.

Again, not a negative comment.  Just curious if anyone knows more about his experience.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's a fair question, but the thing is that the majority of the applicants are either going to be assistant a.d.'s somewhere, which generally means that their focus is limited to one or two specific areas, or else they're a.d.'s at a smaller school without hockey and with a much smaller budget than UND.

This is the most relevant part of Purpur's bio with regard to his experience at Stanford:

In his current position, Purpur oversees all athletic facilities, facility development, facility services, capital planning, all event operations, concessions, guest services, and the men

The "capital planning" portion of his Stanford bio is what catches my eye.

Pop "Ray Purpur" into your favorite search engine and you'll find out what he's been working on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe Purpur is the favorite of Harmeson (thus Kuppy). They seem to want someone who has AD experience. I believe Bollinger is the favorite among many of the former athletes. Bollinger would do a great job. he has been the driving force behind the Fighting Sioux Club which has raised Millions of $$$ for UND Athletics. He is a historian and has done a great job with the Alumni from the pre 70's era. He is very well respected and well liked by those who know him and work with him. He will not be an "admin puke". He is the type of guy that will go sit in the student section to make sure the students are having fun. He will be a coaches and althletes Director. He will encourage Kuppy to figure out that you shouldn't go to Europe etc. when the FB, BB or hockey teams are making National Championship runs. They will encourage Kuppy and Harmeson to get to know the Alumni who are capable of making donations similar to what Ralph has done. He will support the Fighting Sioux name. (he grew up on a reservation). Purpur looks good on paper and may be the best choice, but he would have to be awfully good to be better than Bollinger. Bollinger has the contacts and Purpur doesn't. Purpur will need to start fresh. Ozzie (Dave Ozborn) hasn't been around Sioux sports much lately but was a heck of an athlete for UND and the Mn. Vikings. He is a successful businessman in the citites and out of respect for tradition should at least be granted an interview.

I believe Purpur is the favorite of Harmeson (thus Kuppy). They seem to want someone who has AD experience. I believe Bollinger is the favorite among many of the former athletes. Bollinger would do a great job. he has been the driving force behind the Fighting Sioux Club which has raised Millions of $$$ for UND Athletics. He is a historian and has done a great job with the Alumni from the pre 70's era. He is very well respected and well liked by those who know him and work with him. He will not be an "admin puke". He is the type of guy that will go sit in the student section to make sure the students are having fun. He will be a coaches and althletes Director. He will encourage Kuppy to figure out that you shouldn't go to Europe etc. when the FB, BB or hockey teams are making National Championship runs. They will encourage Kuppy and Harmeson to get to know the Alumni who are capable of making donations similar to what Ralph has done. He will support the Fighting Sioux name. (he grew up on a reservation). Purpur looks good on paper and may be the best choice, but he would have to be awfully good to be better than Bollinger. Bollinger has the contacts and Purpur doesn't. Purpur will need to start fresh. Ozzie (Dave Ozborn) hasn't been around Sioux sports much lately but was a heck of an athlete for UND and the Mn. Vikings. He is a successful businessman in the citites and out of respect for tradition should at least be granted an interview.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I will say this, if Bollinger got the job it would great for UND basketball. Why? Because Rich Glas would be a good replacement for him as a fundraiser for the FSC, and somebody younger and hungrier could be hired as the men's bball coach.

relax people with the bashing...deep breathes...in through the nose, out of the mouth...wow..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What bashing? The consensus among UND men's basketball fans is that Rich is a good guy and should stay with the university in some capacity, but not as basketball coach. Rob Bollinger's current job would be perfect for Rich, IMO. Ten years without so much as an NCC title tends to make a UND basketball fan like myself a bit irritated, but I really don't think what I posted can reasonably be construed as bashing anyone.

I can't speak for everyone, but I think ROB B would be a great AD, but I feel he would be good for UND. I have worked with Rob for a long time and it does not matter what he is doing he always puts UND first. I dont care if its a golf event or just talking shop he's always wants what is best for UND. Good luck ROB

Bollinger has a lot of pluses for the AD job...great history at UND plus his fundraising ability with the Alumni Assoc. since he moved over there. According to "inside sources"..this is what they're looking for!! PLUS - it would create an opening at the Alumni Association that Rich could easily slide into and do very well - creating a best of BOTH WORLDS if you know what I mean :lol: Purpur is the X factor...he has DI experience and brings that to the table...my guess is it's a two horse race that Phil and Chuck will call. I'd think Purpurs' late application might work a bit against him on this deal and Bollinger leads the pack right now but we'll see....

I like Rob Bollinger. He is a great guy, doing a great job in his current position, is well-respected and "bleeds green". But, does anyone know if he has the administrative and business background for the job?

Also, he has been a strong proponent of the University actively studying the move to DI - not necessarily a proponent of making the move but of doing the due diligence to make an informed decision. I agree with this 100%. However, I think that some people may see this as aggressively wanting to make the move. And, some of those same people (Kupchella, etc.). This may work against him!

Any one have any thoughts on this?

All of the big boys have been going after Purpur hard, but I feel Rob brings as much to the table as what purpur does. Rob has been with UND for a long time and knows are program and what it needs to get better.I wish Rob all the luck and if he gets the job he will be a great person to work with.GOOD LUCK ROB :0

All of the big  boys have been going after Purpur hard, but I feel Rob brings as much to the table as what purpur does. Rob has been with UND for a long time and knows are program and what it needs to get better.I wish Rob all the luck and if he gets the job he will be a great person to work with.GOOD LUCK ROB :0

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Purpur withdrew his application. Bollinger should be the front runner but the academic types tend to want someone who has been an AD. Bollingers experience is similar. The other five finalists (including Bollinger) had or will have phone interviews.

The top three candidates to be interviewed are John McCarthy, AD at Lynn University, in Boca Raton, Florida; Al Molde of Gustavus and Rob Bollinger.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

John McCarthy, Lynn University AD

No link for Mr Molde, but the Gustavus website did list him as a 1966 grad.

No offense to Mr McCarthy (although it's ironic he was at UND last week) or Mr Molde, but Rob would appear to be the much more qualified candidate.

John McCarthy, Lynn University AD

No link for Mr Molde, but the Gustavus website did list him as a 1966 grad.

No offense to Mr McCarthy (although it's ironic he was at UND last week) or Mr Molde, but Rob would appear to be the much more qualified candidate.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This was in the May 19, 1997 "NCAA Record":

Al Molde, a 1966 Gustavus Adolphus graduate, hired as athletics director at his alma mater. Molde was head football coach at Western Michigan for the past 10 years.