SiouxSports.com Forum

What if GFAB closes?

IowaBison

While, there seems to be plenty of interest in the Fargo/GF post, I think another possibly more relevant thread might focus on the possibility and effect of the closure of the air base on the city and county of Grand Forks, the University, as well as the State as a whole.

Though we are fortunate to be a rural state, giving us extra weight in Washington with regards to making BRAC a big priority, both GFAB and Minot really are bases without justifiable missions.

The loss would be devastating. How much would it affect UND and how?

Any thoughts?

The next question is:

How would Fargo/NDSU/North Dakota be affected by the Air National Guard Base in Fargo being closed?

There are only three tanker/refueler bases left in the USAF. One is Grand Forks. (In the last BRAC they went from near double-digits to three.)

The next question is:

How would Fargo/NDSU/North Dakota be affected by the Air National Guard Base in Fargo being closed?

There are only three tanker/refueler bases left in the USAF. One is Grand Forks. (In the last BRAC they went from near double-digits to three.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would think Fargo would be able to aborb the loss of the Air National Guard unit better than Grand Forks would if the GFAB were to close. I don't have any numbers, but just based on the relative sizes of the two communities and the effect those respective units have on each communitie's economy.

Though we are fortunate to be a rural state, giving us extra weight in Washington with regards to making BRAC a big priority, both GFAB and Minot really are bases without justifiable missions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aerial refueling isn't a justifiable mission?

Aerial refueling isn't a justifiable mission?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It definitely is, but I don't see us flying bombers to Moscow anytime soon.

I think that Fargo would be hurt if the Happy Hooligans left, which they might, but I think the closure of the base would devastating for Grand Forks and the state.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, I see. Bombers flying to Moscow are the only Air Force planes that require refueling these days. Thanks for clearing that up. :blush:

I think that Fargo would be hurt if the Happy Hooligans left, which they might, but I think the closure of the base would devastating for Grand Forks and the state.

Your statements don't really match up. Here's why: Not flying bombers to Moscow? Sure, I'll agree. But the bombers are at Minot AFB, not GF AFB. Minot would be hurt by that, not GF, right? GF AFB is a tanker, a.k.a. air-refueling, base. There are no -52s or -1s at GF.

Fargo would be dinged.

GF or Minot would be seriously hurt, a problem for the whole state.

I'd recommend reading the thread from this summer. There are some good details in there (along with the standard banter and bickering). :blush:

About every six months, someone from Fargo or a bison fan brings this question up, why I have no idea.  If it closed it would be horrible for not only Grand Forks,

but devastating for the whole state.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I brought it up because the BRAC will have recommendations in by May 16th, which isn't that far away.

Thought people concerned with Grand Forks and the University might be interested, I didn't know there was a previous thread, which is outdated (and contains a couple of errors) anyways.

Your statements don't really match up. Here's why: Not flying bombers to Moscow? Sure, I'll agree. But the bombers are at Minot AFB, not GF AFB. Minot would be hurt by that, not GF, right? GF AFB is a tanker, a.k.a. air-refueling, base. There are no -52s or -1s at GF.

Fargo would be dinged.

GF or Minot would be seriously hurt, a problem for the whole state.

I'd recommend reading the thread from this summer. There are some good details in there (along with the standard banter and bickering). :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And why are there still bombers in Minot?

GFAFB closing down would definitely be a blow to Grand Forks. But people tend to forget that the city has already suffered economic blows when the Air Force moved out the bomber and missile units. If the base closes now, it won't have as big an impact as if it had closed 15 years ago.

I wouldn't say the best

but two $30 million pork barrel projects for GFAB is pretty good.

When Trent Lott was majority leader he 'added' wording to defense appropriations bills that have led to the construction of billions of dollars of ships that the navy didn't ask for.

Aren't they rebuilding the main runway out there (GF AFB) this summer?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They are redoing some of the cement work on the run way at GFAB this summer.

If I am not mistaken I think the Government wanted to put a un man air plane/drone wing in GFAB.

When Trent Lott was majority leader he 'added' wording to defense appropriations bills that have led to the construction of billions of dollars of ships that the navy didn't ask for.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As does nearly every member of Congress. What else is new? :0

As does nearly every member of Congress. What else is new? :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly PCM. Every Senator and Representitive in Washington wants to at least bring back one big fat deal back to their state or district to get some of the govermental money back into the pockets of the people who voted him into office. So when they're back on their reelection campain, they can point to that project, show off how much it did for their community, how many jobs it created and how much money it pumped back into the local economy. :0;)

Exactly PCM.  Every Senator and Representitive in Washington wants to at least bring back one big fat deal back to their state or district to get some of the govermental money back into the pockets of the people who voted him into office. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One city's "pork barrell" project is another city's "economic development" project. Unfortunately, recognizing somebody else's "pork" is always easier than spotting your own. :0