SiouxSports.com Forum

Does Fargo Help or Hurt Grand Forks?

Cratter

Is Fargo much of a metro area now? No(but you can make a case for it, unlike GF). Will it be in 10-20 years? Most likely. Fargo will most likely start growing into most of the outlying towns and will become a metro area of probably around 200-220,000 people, it wouldn't be the Twins Cites but it would be a metro area.

Now to the NDSU half of your post, NDSU won their titles in a much stronger era of D2 football. D2 has just started becoming a "girls division" in the mid 90's. And you should know that to Bison backers NDSU football is king and to UND backers Sioux hockey is king, most of the state either leans one way or the other and the people with a neutral veiw probably follow both teams. You can say UND hockey never takes a back seat to NDSU football but I will say NDSU football never takes a back seat to UND hockey and depending if you live in Fargo or GF would and should affect you veiwpoint. In Fargo NDSU football dominates the news, and I'm sure Sioux hockey dominates the news in GF.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so be it but I'll NEVER believe UND Hockey takes a back seat to ndsu football in the opinion of ND sports fans!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had to say something about that since I am an ND sports fan and UND hockey takes a back seat NDSU football. And many ND sports fans are fans of either school. A better question would have been does UND hockey take a back seat to NDSU football in the ND media? Or which team does the average ND sports fan favor more in the state? Do you really think UND hockey holds any edge in either two of those question? I would think media would edge slightly towards NDSU because of Fargo but as to who which team do you favor or follow more I think it's pretty much 50/50.

I love it how everyone is saying that Fargo-Moorhead is a METRO AREA when really they are just two towns that are connected by crossing the Red River. I came from a small town in Illinois about 60 miles from Chicago and you want to talk about how Fargo is connected to Moorhead-West Fargo, etc....I'm connected to Chicago and so are over 10 million people from 6 counties in Illinois, 3 counties in Indiana, 2 counties in Wisconsin, and 2 counties in Michigan. So you know what quit bickering about Fargo-Grank Forks, they are both good in their own ways. And I'm suprised that nobody has mentioned that although Fargo is larger in population of the town their university population is smaller than UND's every single year, so there for like someone said before GFK is more of a college/university town that Fargo is.....

Official 2000 Census, US Metropolitan Areas

1. New York City 21+ Million

3. Chicago 9+ Million

182. Fargo-Moorhead 174,367

280. Grand Forks 97,478

282. Bismarck 94,719

These are all just numbers, what it all comes down to is personal preference.

Is Fargo much of a metro area now? No(but you can make a case for it, unlike GF). Will it be in 10-20 years? Most likely. Fargo will most likely start growing into most of the outlying towns and will become a metro area of probably around 200-220,000 people, it wouldn't be the Twins Cites but it would be a metro area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And at the same time, other similar cities will be growing, as will the hole country. The Twin Cities will grow exponentially, and so will other cities, such as Sioux Falls, making "200-220,000" the norm.

Or which team does the average ND sports fan favor more in the state? Do you really think UND hockey holds any edge in either two of those question?

See Sports Illustrated! 'Nuff said.

Why does it matter if either city is a "metro" area? The question was how Fargo affected GF, if at all. Then the conversation moved to which city is "better." I don't see why a metro status or how big a city will be down the road. It is subjective and that is that. I am confused why everyone keeps bringing in the sports as a major deciding factor. It really only affects so much, and you can travel the hour if you need the fix. So, I have no problem saying I would take UND sports and education over NDSU every day of the week. But I would also live in Fargo and I would never want to live in GF again.

Why does it matter if either city is a "metro" area?  The question was how Fargo affected GF, if at all.  Then the conversation moved to which city is "better."  I don't see why a metro status or how big a city will be down the road.  It is subjective and that is that.  I am confused why everyone keeps bringing in the sports as a major deciding factor.  It really only affects so much, and you can travel the hour if you need the fix.  So, I have no problem saying I would take UND sports and education over NDSU every day of the week.  But I would also live in Fargo and I would never want to live in GF again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had to say something about that since I am an ND sports fan and UND hockey takes a back seat NDSU football. And  many ND sports fans are fans of either school. A better question would have been does UND hockey take a back seat to NDSU football in the ND media?  Or which team does the average ND sports fan favor more in the state? Do you really think UND hockey holds any edge in either two of those question? I would think media would edge slightly towards NDSU because of Fargo but as to who which team do you favor or follow more I think it's pretty much 50/50.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know there are "Bison fans" (and probably quite a few of them) out there who follow the Sioux hockey team. Personally, I don't get how someone who says they are a Bison football fan can root for the Sioux hockey team. This makes determining which team has a bigger following more difficult. Plus, you can throw in the fact that UND games are televised statewide which can only increase the fan base.

I know this isn't an accurate reflection of fan support for either school, but here are the statistics from Siouxsports.com vs. the NDSU message board.

Membership: siouxsports.com 1531 vs bison 673

Topics: siouxsports.com 3600 vs bison 2300

This obviously doesn't mirror the actual fan support. Some of them use this site, some of us post on that one. I don't know how many NDSU graduates are familiar with computers.

I had to say something about that since I am an ND sports fan and UND hockey takes a back seat NDSU football. And many ND sports fans are fans of either school. A better question would have been does UND hockey take a back seat to NDSU football in the ND media? Or which team does the average ND sports fan favor more in the state? Do you really think UND hockey holds any edge in either two of those question? I would think media would edge slightly towards NDSU because of Fargo but as to who which team do you favor or follow more I think it's pretty much 50/50.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

About the media, you have to ask which media source? The Forum never gives UND anywhere close to front page coverage unless something big happens, like beating or losing to Minnesota etc or there is absolutely no NDSU sports events to announce. Even then, I've seen the Minnesota pro teams more prominently displayed.

With ND media, you have to assume that they are going to go with the home team first and everyone else second. That's why the Forum features NDSU and Fargo high schools first, Minnesota pro teams second, and everyone else after that.

I know this isn't an accurate reflection of fan support for either school, but here are the statistics from Siouxsports.com vs. the NDSU message board.

Membership:  siouxsports.com 1531 vs bison 673

Topics:  siouxsports.com 3600 vs bison 2300

This obviously doesn't mirror the actual fan support.  Some of them use this site, some of us post on that one.  I don't know how many NDSU graduates are familiar with computers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A national survey of NDSU graduates in 2000 indicated that 80.0% had internet access. I would take that to be a good indication of some knowledge and skills with a computer. I would guess that the UND stats would be in that same ballpark. Of course, with internet connections growing a 2000 study is somewhat dated and the percentages are probably higher now.