SiouxSports.com Forum

Offense will be a Question

DolphinTattooSioux64

Roland originally started out as a running back at UND then he moved to the stong safety position i guess he didnt like the situation at the running back position at that time then when some people got hurt he switched back to running back because the Sioux were hurting and needed somebody to run the football. Namely when Riza Mahmoud was having some school probs.

What about the big freshman reciever from Colorado. His name escapes me. Standing on the sideline he looked like a load to bring down. If there is any speed with that he may be tough? What recievers should be looked at to step up? The two from Dickenson? Michael Hegg from Thompson?

What a situation.

A year ago I knew we had backs, a quarterback, and a couple receivers. Then the O-line was the question.

Now I think we'll be fine up front next year but the question is (sorry Misters Belmore and Manke) quarterback, running back (can Strouth carry 30+ per game), and the receivers.

Crazy as this sounds, I feel better now than I did a year ago, but I'm a big believer in "you win in the trenches". A solid offensive line makes the whole offense look good.

going back to the topic of inspiration for the players, i would have to second the comment about Roland's girlfriend being his inspiration, i would play hard too if i knew my girl was standing on the sidelines. :huh::0

I'm also curious about what some of the former players will do now that they are through with the season...i hear some of the players are taking up other sports, such as volleyball

• 5 weeks later...

It would be retarded to continue to repeat the point that I had brought up many times during the season, but I think that Manke is ready to start. He did nothing to hurt the team in the action that he did see this past season as opposed to Mr. Belmore he had multiple passes directly thrown at people of the opposite jersey. Also, while straight ahead speed Belmore may win, Manke comes from a running offense in DL, and has the instincts that Belmore doesn't have to know when to pull it down and scramble (a little Kelbyish? lets hope so)

It would be retarded to continue to repeat the point that I had brought up many times during the season, but I think that Manke is ready to start.  He did nothing to hurt the team in the action that he did see this past season as opposed to Mr. Belmore he had multiple passes directly thrown at people of the opposite jersey.  Also, while straight ahead speed Belmore may win, Manke comes from a running offense in DL, and has the instincts that Belmore doesn't have to know when to pull it down and scramble (a little Kelbyish? lets hope so)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Complicating the issue is the fact that Freund may be better than either Belmore or Manke!

i still feel like dressler could solidify himselfs as the main back next year, i doubt it will happen, but i wouldn't be surprised if he is a big part of the running game. Anytime a running back rushes for over 2000 yards and 40+ touchdowns in twelve games in highschool, he's for real. Keep in mind he was always pulled either at halftime or the 3rd quarter too because the lead was so great. I think he may be a bit to small to be a go to receiver, but would be a very effective #3 wide out. just my 2 cents

As for Freund, I have never seen him play so I do not know what to expect from him, but I have heard that he is a good player. Perhaps that could be motivation for either Manke or Belmore?

I agree that Dressler will be a vital part of the offense next year, but from a running back perspective, he and Strouth are essentially the same person, small, quick, won't bowl anyone over. What I think is that UND needs to develop someone into a punishing running back to complement either Dressler or Strouth. I think that Trent Christensen could be that guy. Yes he is listed as a fullback, but he has the nice hands of a running back. He could become an offense force out of the backfield. IMO, Strouth should stick as the #1 back and Dressler should work as a flanker/ wide out at this point , with a little time at RB. An interesting problem to have too many athletes at one position.

What a situation.

A year ago I knew we had backs, a quarterback, and a couple receivers. Then the O-line was the question.

Now I think we'll be fine up front next year but the question is (sorry Misters Belmore and Manke) quarterback, running back (can Strouth carry 30+ per game), and the receivers.

Crazy as this sounds, I feel better now than I did a year ago, but I'm a big believer in "you win in the trenches". A solid offensive line makes the whole offense look good.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree totally. I'm still not convinced that, even with good WRs, we'd have a QB that can make a deep play happen or even throw further than 10 yards down the field.

Let me pose this question: Is it better to have a deep threat (can't cover in or they'll throw deep) or is it just better to have a great running game and be a mainly short pass/screen pass offense?