SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX VS CC

AZSIOUX

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with a lot of the criticism going on here. The domination thing is only really true if you look at the shot totals and listened to the game. It wasn't the kind of domination like UND had with a team like MTU or Canisius.

If you want to use domination as a positive, CC didn't dominate us like they did against Minnesota. They outscored us 3-1. They outscored Minny 8-4 I think.

We held the HB twins to 1 assist each, and I think Sertich's assist (I could have flip flopped the names here) was added later to change the box score.

I agree with a lot of the criticism going on here.  The domination thing is only really true if you look at the shot totals and listened to the game.  It wasn't the kind of domination like UND had with a team like MTU or Canisius.

If you want to use domination as a positive, CC didn't cominate us like they did against Minnesota.  They outscored us 3-1.  They outscored Minny 8-4 I think.

We held the HB twins to 1 assist each, and I think Sertich's assist (I could have flip flopped the names here) was added later to change the box score.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The bottom line here is that I'm still very optimistic considering the good effort put forth against the #1 team in the country and in their building. That tells me we can play with anyone, anytime and anywhere. Remains to be seen if this team will bring it's A game come March/April (Hopefully). I for one am holding out hope someone will turn on the switch.

I agree with a lot of the criticism going on here.  The domination thing is only really true if you look at the shot totals and listened to the game.  It wasn't the kind of domination like UND had with a team like MTU or Canisius.

If you want to use domination as a positive, CC didn't cominate us like they did against Minnesota.  They outscored us 3-1.  They outscored Minny 8-4 I think.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, Saturday night was that kind of domination. I was there!

I attended both games and while Fridays game was fairly even in play with a slight advantage to the Sioux, Saturdays game was completely one-sided. The one goal CC had on Sat was when the Sioux had their 4th line out I believe, along with Smaby and Radke on defense...didn't understand why these two were paired up at that time but I really don't like the pairing, too many mistakes. After the goal I don't believe they were paired again for the rest of the game.

The Sioux really deserved 3-4 points in the series. Based on seeing CC four times (all against UND) I don't see them going very far, I am not overly impressed with their team. Maybe the sample size is too small.

Also, anyone know how CC awards the three stars of the game ? I am assuming they only consider CC players since they got all three stars each night. If they do consider both teams then someone has vision problems or is the biggest homer in all of sports.

I attended both games and while Fridays game was fairly even in play with a slight advantage to the Sioux, Saturdays game was completely one-sided.  The one goal CC had on Sat was when the Sioux had their 4th line out I believe, along with Smaby and Radke on defense...didn't understand why these two were paired up at that time but I really don't like the pairing, too many mistakes.  After the goal I don't believe they were paired again for the rest of the game.

The Sioux really deserved 3-4 points in the series.  Based on seeing CC four times (all against UND) I don't see them going very far, I am not overly impressed with their team.  Maybe the sample size is too small.

Also, anyone know how CC awards the three stars of the game ?  I am assuming they only consider CC players since they got all three stars each night.  If they do consider both teams then someone has vision problems or is the biggest homer in all of sports.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was informed by a CC fan that only their players are awarded the three stars.

Question about scoring goals:

Can a team get too focused on putting the puck on net and not focused enough about where the puck is going?

Sioux teams historically have outshot opponents but what I'm wondering about is whether players lose the edge to try and make each shot count.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you may have something here (not just with North Dakota, but with the 'Dogs as well. I'm going to have to quote you on my site.)

I don't listen to many of your games, but I am constantly hearing things about how "the puck won't lie down" or "he fanned on it" or "he just got his stick on it" or any number of things about the 'Dogs' offensive, um, struggles.

It's quality, not quantity. You can shoot the puck at the net all you want and run up the totals, but if you shoot it right at the logo each time, quantum physics says there's only an infinitesmally small chance that the puck will, rather than reflect, go through the goalie. I hope they aren't waiting for that.

I've been frustrated for awhile about the 'Dogs' flurry of shots with little results, but now you've got me thinking...

You are correct. According to the official boxscore, Smaby, Radke, Bina, Fabian and Canady were on the ice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, it was that line and just inside the blueline Smaby decided to try and play the puck instead of the man. He could have laid the Tiger out but instead CC found themselves with a two on one and converted.

Yes, it was that line and just inside the blueline Smaby decided to try and play the puck instead of the man. He could have laid the Tiger out but instead CC found themselves with a two on one and converted.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Albeit it may have been the wrong choice, which would you have had? I'm pretty sure that Smaby was bigger than the guy he tried to play the puck off of, so if he would have laid that guy out, he would have taken a 2 minute minor for cross checking/intereference/take your pick, which could have resulted in a score anyways. With all the stupid penalties being a problem with the Sioux, him being a big target of this criticism, don't you think he might have been thinking about avoiding a penalty?

This doesn't justify Smaby's actions, but it could be a factor.

Edited by redwing77

Albeit it may have been the wrong choice, which would you have had?  I'm pretty sure that Smaby was bigger than the guy he tried to play the puck off of, so if he would have laid that guy out, he would have taken a 2 minute minor for cross checking/intereference/take your pick, which could have resulted in a score anyways.  With all the stupid penalties being a problem with the Sioux, him being a big target of this criticism, don't you think he might have been thinking about avoiding a penalty? 

This doesn't justify Smaby's actions, but it could be a factor.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was merely implying that he could have laid him out. He also could have muscled him harmlessly towards the boards. Instead he tried to swipe at the puck with his stick and the Tiger went around him. Either way it was a mistake that lead to a goal.

I'm sorry.  It was a rhetorical question.  It was not meant to attack your opinion.  I think your observations were a logical one and one I agree with.  He should have played the man.  Especially when you have a swift team such as CC.  I'm just putting out a thought to ponder on perhaps what was going through his head?  Smaby made a mistake and they capitalized.

However, before all the posts calling for Smaby's benching resume again, think about this:  If Porter had been more aware of where he was on the ice, we would have tied the Saturday game (assuming he wasn't being pushed into the crease).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think for the most part we are in agreement and who knows what is going through the head of all of the forwards as well. The night before it was two odd man rushes that lead to the CC goals because the responsible forwards were caught up ice. However, unless things change HAK can only afford to go with those players who do not commit defensive errors and that goes for some of the seniors as well if we hope to win games 1-0 or 2-1. Clearly it was just such an error in judgement the previous week that cost Parise his spot in the goaltending rotation. Unfortunately, error free hockey may be this teams only hope for success this season and this past weekend against number one they showed that for the most part they can do it.

I was at both games. I felt that the Saturday game was exceptiaonally one-sided. CC had a couple of good scoring chances and capitalized on one but the rest of the game resembled a power play. We ran into a hot goalie who put his team on his back. That was all in my opinion. It was the weakest performance at home for a #1 team that I can remember. :huh:

Diggler for one can attest to my love for Goehring, but Lammy has proven to be the real deal this year, hopefully he doesn't crumble under the pressure. Take the #1 from Parise and slap it on Lammy's jersey because this kid is the second coming of Karl...or at least the closest thing we'll see for a long time.

Diggler for one can attest to my love for Goehring, but Lammy has proven to be the real deal this year, hopefully he doesn't crumble under the pressure.  Take the #1 from Parise and slap it on Lammy's jersey because this kid is the second coming of Karl...or at least the closest thing we'll see for a long time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

not to take anything away from karl's career, but, he was blessed with unbelievably stellar defense's in front of him to go along with the sick offense's who controlled the puck 45 minutes of the game. I don't think lammy has seen that in front of him at all this year, maybe a glimmer of it on saturday night, but nothing close, especially against the better teams in the league. :huh:

You are right--you can't take anything away from Karl's career. I have followed the Sioux for many years, and he is the best goalie to ever wear a Sioux uniform, Belfour and Casey included. Keep in mind he also won a state title with Apple Valley where he stood on his head, and I had the pleasure of watching him for Fargo-Moorhead in the USHL. I like Lamoreux and I agree he should be the go-to-guy, but he has a long way to go before he can be mentioned in the same breath as Karl Goehring. The only reason Karl is not in the pros is his size.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Also against Karl is the fact that he is up against a number one draft pick in Leclaire. Not only does Karl have to win advancement to the NHL but Leclaire has to lose it.