SiouxSports.com Forum

Whats up with Roger!

Driveforshow

The other candidate is currently a STUDENT getting his PHD in something. Can't believe that a guy like that is a finalist for the ncc commish job when he is currently unemployed. ON the other hand they anounced the 2 finalists at least a month ago and have never hired anyone. That tells me they aren't too impressed with either candidate if they are waiting that long.

If RT gets the job is he going to move the league office from its current hotel room to one up in ND?

There's an item in today's Herald saying that the NCC presidents met yesterday at the 2005 NCAA Convention, but had made not decision yet on hiring a new commissioner. Last I heard, this was the week that the announcement would be made. Here's the Herald item:

No NCC news

The presidents from North Central Conference schools also met at the NCAA Convention to discuss the league's search for a commissioner.

UND athletic director Roger Thomas is one of two finalists for the position. The other is Tom Collins, a former athletic director of Campbell University in North Carolina.

Thomas, who also is at the convention, said no decision has been made.

"I talked to them (presidents) about it," Thomas said. "We're discussing it."

Assistant NCC commissioner Jon Martin said there is no timeline established by the presidents to name a replacement for Mike Marcil, the former NCC commissioner who resigned a few months ago.

Edited by PCM

So I guess we can officially now start speculating about candidates for RT's replacement. I have previously mentioned current Stanford assistant a.d. and UND grad Ray Purpur, and I think he'd be close to the top of the list if he actually applies. Does anybody know of other people with UND or area ties who might be a strong candidate? I'm sure there will be some in-house applicants like possibly Rich Glas, Mike Stromberg or Rob Bollinger. I personally would like to see somebody a little younger and with strong experience as either an a.d. or an assistant a.d. as opposed to exclusively coaching experience.

Maybe I'm missing something here but for the life of me I don't understand why RT would want the comish job of a conference that has been gutted of 2 charter members (ndsu and sdsu) and 1 very strong football member ( northern colorado). The replacement, so far umd, doesn't bring the strength to the table that those 3 schools do. Mankato and St Cloud, perhaps due to hockey costs, are having trouble with their respective athletic budgets. I would think the AD job at UND would be far more attractive.

DG

Mankato and St Cloud, perhaps due to hockey costs, are having trouble with their respective athletic budgets.  I would think the AD job at UND would be far more attractive.

I'd attribute funding issues at those two (and Duluth) to the Minnesota state general budgetary woes. Hey, even Goldie isn't getting all of their legislative funding requests (and that's almost unheard of).

So I guess we can officially now start speculating about candidates for RT's replacement. I have previously mentioned current Stanford assistant a.d. and UND grad Ray Purpur, and I think he'd be close to the top of the list if he actually applies. Does anybody know of other people with UND or area ties who might be a strong candidate? I'm sure there will be some in-house applicants like possibly Rich Glas, Mike Stromberg or Rob Bollinger. I personally would like to see somebody a little younger and with strong experience as either an a.d. or an assistant a.d. as opposed to exclusively coaching experience.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any chance that Rick Hedberg will be interested in the position. I believe he was the assistant AD for a time at UND and now is AD at Minot State. Any thoughts?

Any chance that Rick Hedberg will be interested in the position.  I believe he was the assistant AD for a time at UND and now is AD at Minot State.  Any thoughts?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it depands on what UND wants to do regarding the division it sees itself in the future. If UND thinks they will be in D1 the next decade maybe they should look for somone that has been through the D1 transition process and has some D1 connections. Even if UND plans on being in D2 for a while it still wouldn't hurt finding a guy with D1 experience.

With college athletics needing to worry more and more about budgets and finances (the "business of sport" if you will), it'd make sense to look at people with proven sports administration track-records moreso than a former coaches.

PS - Here's another thread on topic with some interesting thoughts in it also.

speaking of moving the ticket offices and marketing..how do you explain any institutional control over these two parts of UND athletics when their being ran by people who are paid by REA?:huh: how does UND punish these employees or in your words hold them accountable??? if their not paid by UND...brillant idea to make that move....or cutting all athletic budgets by 10% and not telling these coaches but by putting their budgets in their mail boxes..so UND can pay REA 200,000 a year to use the Betty..yeah he was brilliant that John S..him and PC should go to New Mexico and say they ran that athletic dept too...but in reality hired secretaries....get a CLUE!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!

The list of good people he ran off, however is huge.... Assistant AD for Business John Sirignano, Assistant AD/SWA Sherry Penner, Soccer coach Matt Granstrand, Dean Blais, Todd Berning. In fact, Sirignano was the perfect fit for being AD (sports administration background, former MLB executive, MBA) as it was under his watch that the UND/REA marketing joined forces, the Betty was financed and built, the ticket office moved out of Hyslop to REA, Sioux Illustrated was launched (anyone seen a copy since August??) and he mended the fences between UND and REA after Paul Collins was shown the door by Kupchella and Harmeson. Thomas was so threatened by Sirignano and Berning that he forced them out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

??

The thing is no one seems to care that Roger is leaving. I don't subscribe to the GF Herald, but online it didn't even appear to be front page news. Then I pick up the Dakota Student and there is only a moderate article about it in the Sports section, with the major story going to 100 years of UND basketball.

The thing is no one seems to care that Roger is leaving.  I don't subscribe to the GF Herald, but online it didn't even appear to be front page news. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was front-page news in the Herald for two days in a row. I don't think it's that nobody cares. It was somewhat expected. When Blais announced he was leaving, it was a shock to most people.