SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach owes fans apology

Riverman

Our section was not happy with the 2nd goal (powerplay goal for Niagara) because one of the UND d-men (in the UND zone) had the puck in the corner and shot it around the boards and it would have gone out of the zone but for the fact that the referee was standing against the board - he stopped the puck from leaving the zone - a second later it's on the stick of the Niagara player and then in the net - good play by the Niagara player - but what the heck was the referee doing standing up against the board between the d-man and the blue line - there weren't any Niagara players who would have a chance to stop it going out of the zone but he stopped it by being where he was ........ I'm not in any way saying the goal wasn't legit - the goalie should've had it and the Niagara player made a nice play - but the referee directly affected that play and there were a lot of people in our section p*ssed that the referee was in the way - also in the 3rd Niagara could've had a nice break out of their zone (2 on 1 probably) and there he was again, the referee's skate took out their (Niagara's) pass and UND recovered it ..... the referee was in the way all night!!!! Move your tush!

Blais thought the fans were booing the team? He was mistaken. I can guarantee you that we, the students, were booing Gravelesse. I certainly don't think anyone was booing the team, especially after only one period. We didn't boo the team last year after the Mankato series, I don't think we'll ever boo them. I was booing Gravelesse the whole game though, among other things which I shall not repeat. What a schmuck.

Sorry guys if I jumped the gun. It's tough trying to listen on the net & know the crowds feelings. I felt the team didn't come out in the first like they wanted to & when I heard the boo's I took it the wrong way.

Hopefully the ref will be ready for the game tomorrow.

From the sounds of it Speez you're not the only one, Coach Blais and Tim H. the announcer thought the crowd was booing too - if CB and TH thought that it probably came across like that. Don't get me wrong, there was grumbling in the stands because 1) when the other team has 3 or 4 shots on goal and 2 of them went in, the natives will be restless 2) when JN hit the pipe it was like, oh no BUT the crowd generally knows hockey and knows CB - our group was saying, "I'm glad I'm not in the locker room during this 1st intermission" - there was not, however, booing of the team/coach(es)/specific player(s) - there was booing of the referee.

I agree- several people in my section started booing/yelling at the ref at the point in which the puck hit his skates, then the booing intensified when people realized that the ref getting in the way led directly to the Niagara goal. There is no doubt in my mind that the booing was directed at the ref- not at anyone on the Sioux team.

All this seems a bit strange because from up in the press box, I never had any doubt that the fans were booing the officials rather than the players.

By the way, I met Mr. and Mrs. "Sockeye Sioux" and their son between the first and second periods. What wonderful people and great Sioux fans! Brian will probably play Saturday night, although his shoulder still isn't 100 percent.

Listening to the internet feed, the booing seemed to coincide with the players leaving the ice after the first down 2-0. Maybe that was not the case. TH did comment that perhaps the Sioux fans were still feeling the failures of last year in the REA, and CB was not happy with the booing in the postgame, as you know.

TH didn't do any complaining about calls, as he often does, so I didn't get the feeling that it was that bad (again, audio only). He did mention the linesmen getting in the way on what would have been a zone clearing, directly resulting in a goal. I didn't notice the booing on the internet feed after the calls or the linesman getting in the way.

At any rate, certainly sounded like the Sioux were a bit surprised by the aggressive Niagara forecheck, although with the goaltending a bit more solid, it wouldn't have been as tough a game. I'd guess they'll be ready tonight.

Listening to the internet feed, the booing seemed to coincide with the players leaving the ice after the first down 2-0. Maybe that was not the case.

I can assure you that it was not the case. The officials leave the ice through an exit surrounded by the student section. As they were going off, I could see students above the exit verbally abusing the officials. I believe that triggered a reaction from the crowd to join in. In fact, I think the Sioux players were well on their way to the locker room by the time the serious booing started, which makes me wonder if they even heard any of it.

PCM,

Sure can't tell what happened from the internet feed, but your explanation makes sense. Glad to hear the booing didn't have anything to do with the Sioux's performance in the first. Didn't really have any idea listening to the feed that the first period shots were that low for both teams, but after hearing 5-4 Sioux in shots, being behind, and TH's comment, it seemed that the booing was for the team on the audio feed. And from out here in the "dead zone" it did start to feel like UAA, Mankato last year at the REA. The wrong impression, no doubt.

At any rate, kudoos to Spiewak and Notermann for scoring the SHG's and getting the team going; nice senior leadership there. Game was all Sioux from then on, in spite of giving up the PPG shortly thereafter on the same PP (think that was the one the linesman caused, wasn't it?).

Would sure like to be watching this, at least on TV, but unfortunately the audio feed is all we have here.

Listening on the net, it was clear to me that the fans were booing the official who caused the Niagara goal on the PP. The period ended not long after, and the boos continued.

Perhaps some "fans" were getting on the team, but the crowd sounded vengeful, like they would be when a ref blows it. Blais perhaps is remembering last year, along with some of the newer ticket holders.

I posted this in the other thread, but i guarantee that most of the fans were booing the officials and not the players. Also, what happened on that really hard hit that led to roughing?? Did anyone else think that the refs waved off icing way too much? I'm not a fan of stoppages in play, but plays like that could hurt a team.

Listening on the net, it was clear to me that the fans were booing the official who caused the Niagara goal on the PP. The period ended not long after, and the boos continued.

Perhaps some "fans" were getting on the team, but the crowd sounded vengeful, like they would be when a ref blows it. Blais perhaps is remembering last year, along with some of the newer ticket holders.

Wasn't listening that closely, especially to TH' comments, so I missed the fact that they were getting on the official. Suprised TH didn't complain more, or maybe I missed that also. Does appear that Blais, in heading to the lockerroom, heard the boos and misinterpreted them.

Let's be realistic here. The Sioux fans are knowledgeable enough that they're not going to boo a young team that's down two goals in the first period during the first home game of the season. The team hadn't played that badly and there was still plenty of time left to come back.

I saw games last season during which the Sioux played much worse and nobody booed them then. Why would anyone boo them last night? It doesn't make sense.

I'll add I never doubted that they'd make a comeback and eventually win this game, in spite of the score at the end of period one.

Maybe the topic of this thread is correct. CB did say in the post game that the passing wasn't as crisp and accurate as, for instance, the Manitoba game. I assumed he meant early in the game, because it sounded very good from the middle of the second on.

Niagara, obviously, isn't Manitoba, as they apparently have good speed and came fired up to play (not that the Sioux weren't).

Having been in the REA only once, at last season's last game (and win) against Denver, the place didn't sound that loud from the upper bowl. It does, however, sound very loud on the internet feed when the Sioux have it going (like from the SHG's on last night), so I assume it's loud down on the ice.

There was a blurb in the Buffalo paper quoting Blais as saying the boos were coming from "a few of our loyal fans". But it doesn't sound like it really bothered him.

Anyway, a nice win/sweep for the boys. Good performances overall from most of what I heard, but goaltending really needs to tighten up. Fortunately, the rest of the team has been keeping the puck otherwise it may have been pretty ugly. :p That said, it's still a long season and somebody has got to take that job and own it.