SiouxSports.com Forum

Red River - Central Game

Fetch

Your guess is as good as mine Central. I'm not going to give Minot the tourny title yet, but if they play the way they should they should win the West Region tourny. Earlier this week Minot squeeked (and I mean squeeked) by Williston, and yesterday they played one of the best teams in the state to a 2-2 tie. Its nice to see Minot finally start to compete well against eastern teams. :D

My guess for the four teams from the West

1. Minot

2. Bismarck

3. B. Century

4. Willison

I wouldn't count Mandan out of the equation, or Hazen. Things should get interesting come February. :D

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody have any details on the RR - Minot game?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jack, this is what the Grand Forks Herald had on their web edition of the paper. Not much detail. I talked to one of the Minot parents after each period. It was 0-0 after the first. Shots were about even in the first period based on what I was told.

GF Red River 2, Minot 2

1. MINOT - Eli Rosendahl had 38 saves as Grand Forks Red River played Minot to a tie here Saturday.

Minot took a 2-0 lead. But Brad Benke's goal in the second period pulled Red River within one and Kyle Endres converted a giveaway into the tying score with 2:53 left in regulation.

"We really battled and took it to them in the third period," Red River coach Matt Malm said. "And Eli played exceptionally well. He was really consistent; he made every save he should have, and a couple that were just outstanding."

Red River is 9-5-1.

Minot was up 2-0 going into the third period and then Red River turned it on and took control of the game. The red river goalie had 40 saves for the game. The Minot goalie had 33 saves for the game. Red River took a lot of penalties(7 for the game to Minot's 4) and Minot capitalized scoring both goals on the powerplay. Mahulka scored shorthanded and Endres scrored on a breakaway to tie the game. Wilerts had two assists.

Scouting report on Charlie Bair:  He can finish, I'll give him that and that's about it.  Defensively he is nonexistent.  For instance, he is a center and should be in the corner helping the defensman down low but instead is sitting at the top of the circles waiting for the home run.  'To make it to the next level you must be a defensive player who is reliable' (Sidney Crosby).  Bair's physical game is very average.  Montplaisir see's the ice well and can usually find Bair.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your assessment of Charlie Bair is pretty good. I watched him most of the game focusing first on his skating. He is fairly smooth, good speed, and has nice lateral movement and transitions. He is about 5'9 and 155 or so and runs track and cross country according to his coach so has not had an opportunity or desire to add weight. In summary I thought he was a very good skater.

Regarding physical play he is average. I watched that closely and I did not see him initiate any contact but then his role is clearly to score and he does a lot of it. I expected West Fargo to focus on him given his scoring success so far this season. I don't know if they did or not - they did hit him hard a few times knocking him down at least twice - but - he still scored 4 goals.

Jack you might be a little hard on him defensively - he did make some nice defensive plays - some poke checks - good coverage on the penalty kill, etc. But I agree with you somewhat - that is not his strength - but I think on that team again the kid can score and that is his role. You are right, at the next level he would need to improve in that category.

Bair has good hands. He passes well and receives the puck well. His stickhandling skills seem to be way above average. The kid also has a sense about scoring - as #1 Sioux fan says - he must have had 20 shots himself. A scorer should have a lot of shots. He also knows when to shoot and does not hold the puck until everyone on the ice and in the arena knows that a shot is coming. He has a quick release.

Overall, I was impressed with him and he exceeded my expectations. The kid was fun to watch and his team mate Montplaisir had some great passes. If Charlie adds some weight and strength and improves physical and defensive play as Jack says he will be a good candidate for a junior team somewhere.

West Fargo played a nice game too. It was one of the more exciting high school games that I have seen this season. Trevor Anderson for West Fargo had a nice game. I'll add him to my list of defensemen to watch in the East Region along with the others mentioned in a previous post.

I would agree with Loos about adding Vigen to the defenseman list, he is great at getting

nice low shots on net from the blue line, keeping the puck in the opponents end and

getting passes out to the forwards. As far as who is the best player in the state Imo I

would have to say no one player has been totally dominate, Weisgarber and Willert are

definitely good players but I didn't feel either one of them was a huge factor in their

games against RR. The Schaefer/Mihulka line has come up big for RR in several games

and as far as who is the best team in the state I would have to say that definitely is yet

to be determined, playoffs should be very interesting........

I for one like the size of Red River's defensmen. They are big physical guys that can just pound on teams in the corners, and its tough to get around them with their wide wing spans. They can also shoot the puck pretty well too.... :D

Love the games actually gonna be in GF tomorrow night watch Marto rack up some points against pidly West Fargo. Can't wait to watch the greatest high school rivalry in the state go down later this year hopefully a couple of times. On a different note I've seen some bad west teams get the #1 seed in my days but Minot is definitely worthy. Could be the second time a western team has ever won state.

By the way anybody heard anything about any JV teams around the state, I watched south demoralize Red River's B club and a buddy of mine said West Fargo beat them which just floored me. Looking the riders rosters they dont seem that young at Varsity. Is there good run of championship appearances slowing down?

If I'm not mistaken I believe that Red River-Central part deaux is at the Ralph on Thursday night? They didn't put it on the website, but I overheard some kids talking about it at a rink the other day. Anybody know for sure.... :blush:

If I'm not mistaken I believe that Red River-Central part deaux is at the Ralph on Thursday night?  They didn't put it on the website, but I overheard some kids talking about it at a rink the other day.  Anybody know for sure.... :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe you are correct. I'll be there cheering on my Knights!!!

The Forum

Published Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Paul Weisgarber had four goals and three assists to lead Fargo South to a win in Eastern Dakota Conference play Tuesday.

Eric Galt had four assists and a goal for the Bruins (9-7, 8-1 EDC).

Gary Stensgard had the lone goal for the Deacons.

FIRST PERIOD: 1, S, Luecke (A. Campbell) 0:06. 2, S, Luecke (A. Campbell, Weisgarber) 2:09 (pp). 3, Shanley, Stensgard (Hurt) 4:18. 4, S, Weisgarber (Luecke, Galt) 7:43 (pp). 5, S, Weisgarber (Larson, A. Campbell)11:54.

SECOND PERIOD: 6, S, Ramberg (Klebe, Balbey) 7:05 (pp). 7, S, Larson (Weisgarber) 10:20. 8, S, Weisgarber (Wurden, Galt) 10:32. 9, S, Towers (Spriggs) 12:47. 10, S, Galt 14:45 (pp). 11, S, A. Campbell (Weisgarber, Galt) 16:06 (pp).

THIRD PERIOD: 12, S, Weisgarber (Galt) 3:13 (pp). 13, S, Grande (Kotchian, Doeden) 16:54.

SAVES: Shanley, Bottrell 10-20-0-30, Traynor 0-6-9-15. South, McLean 3-2-0-5, Deichert 0-0-5-5.

South dominates a bad Shanley team. I remember some Shanley guys saying that they were going to be a force a couple of years ago. Looked like numbers are really down. Too bad I remember watching some good Shanley team in the 80's.

Weisgarber is now back 100% and their top line is very quick and dangerous.

The Forum

Published Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Paul Weisgarber had four goals and three assists to lead Fargo South to a win in Eastern Dakota Conference play Tuesday.

Eric Galt had four assists and a goal for the Bruins (9-7, 8-1 EDC).

Gary Stensgard had the lone goal for the Deacons.

FIRST PERIOD: 1, S, Luecke (A. Campbell) 0:06. 2, S, Luecke (A. Campbell, Weisgarber) 2:09 (pp). 3, Shanley, Stensgard (Hurt) 4:18. 4, S, Weisgarber (Luecke, Galt) 7:43 (pp). 5, S, Weisgarber (Larson, A. Campbell)11:54.

SECOND PERIOD: 6, S, Ramberg (Klebe, Balbey) 7:05 (pp). 7, S, Larson (Weisgarber) 10:20. 8, S, Weisgarber (Wurden, Galt) 10:32. 9, S, Towers (Spriggs) 12:47. 10, S, Galt 14:45 (pp). 11, S, A. Campbell (Weisgarber, Galt) 16:06 (pp).

THIRD PERIOD: 12, S, Weisgarber (Galt) 3:13 (pp). 13, S, Grande (Kotchian, Doeden) 16:54.

SAVES: Shanley, Bottrell 10-20-0-30, Traynor 0-6-9-15. South, McLean 3-2-0-5, Deichert 0-0-5-5.

South dominates a bad Shanley team.  I remember some Shanley guys saying that they were going to be a force a couple of years ago.  Looked like numbers are really down.  Too bad I remember watching some good Shanley team in the 80's.

Weisgarber is now back 100% and their top line is very quick and dangerous.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have got to be kidding me!! All this......it was Shanley for GOD'S sake, a good

bantam team could kick their ass. I also think it is time to add Weisgarber to the "Not

GOD" list with Marto.

If you really want to see how good Fargo South is go to there game vs Grafton tomorrow.  We will see if they have improved any from the beginning of the season when they lost 4-3, in a very close game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't beleive that South has what it takes to beat a very talented GPR team, South relies too much on one line and two defensemen, other than that they have no depth. When it comes down to it the Campbells will capitalize on Souths lack of depth.

I think South should beat GPR. When I saw them play no one player really stood out, and they played solid defensive hockey and were able to roll three lines the entire game. I think it should be a great hockey game, but if South plays as well as they did against RR, they should win hands down.

I think South should beat GPR.  When I saw them play no one player really stood out, and they played solid defensive hockey and were able to roll three lines the entire game.  I think it should be a great hockey game, but if South plays as well as they did against RR, they should win hands down.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

South beat Grafton tonight 2-0 and Central beat Red River. North took care of West Fargo 6-2. The last two weeks of the regular season should be interesting. Looks as though South and Minot are in the driver's seat right now.