SiouxSports.com Forum

Red River - Central Game

Fetch

Because this group of kids has been very good at every level - like knocking off Moorheads JV team (the poster that said Krause was a varsity player last year doesn't know what he's talking about).  Yet when they get to the varsity level they are very average. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So how do you know that the reason the player quit is because of the coach? I think there are a lot factors in a teenager's life that could contribute to them not reaching their potential. They are also in a city that is not a big hockey town. I think Wilson has done a good job for the environment and resources available. I was very surprised with the WF/Shanley split. Maybe hockey will be popular in Fargo some day. I remember watching some state games last year and I was amazed at how bad Schmidtt was calling the much slower-paced high school games.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jloos your hockey knowledge is limited.  I belive you played for north for a year before getting clipped.  Foss is not even worth mentioning when you talk about the Bruins.  You cant tell me he's better than Weisgarber, Campell, Dalbey, Galt, or even Luecke.  And I dont know how much you know about Moorhead but Krause was a fourth line player last year for Moorhead's varsity team.  Call it first line JV if you want but thats an accomplishment for a 10th grader in such a strong hockey community.  Oh ya, and all West final? Highly unlikely.  Maybe if you had a stronger hockey backround your information would be credible.

Wow I guess you put me in my place :silly: Since you know me so well maybe you could ID yourself, send me a private mssg if you don't want the board to know who you are. I didn't think so. Stronger hockey backround? I assume you mean background. I played hockey through high school and coached for 5 years. I coached kids that are know seniors in HS, so I saw plenty of these players. I would rate Foss as third in the players you mentioned, behind Weisgarber and Campell.

Krause may have sat on the bench last year for Mhd, but he never played more than a few minutes - no Sophomores did. He is a good player, my point was however, he played JV last year. You made it sound like Mhd stocked their JV team with varsity players for the South game.

I never said an all West final was likely, just that it could happen. Bismarck and Minot have both beat some good teams. Minot probably has the best player in the state in Willert. Bismarck has Aide who I haven't seen this year, but sounds like a good player. Mandan actually has one of the best players in the State, but gets no recognition because he plays for Mandan.

ND PRIDE said it the best - there are 7 teams that could all win state this year.

I went to the North/Jamestown game last night. North looked a litte confused at times with Jamestown's physical play, which suprised me due to the fact that North is usually known for their 'grinding in the corners' style of hockey. I think North has the talent this year but they just can't seem to get going. Could it be a coaching problem? I want to say no, I've known Don Smith for a while and he seems like a great coach. Jamestown on the other hand looks like they have been much improved on their 'stupid' penalties. IMO they could be a team, late in the year, that could upset one of the favorites.

Jloos your hockey knowledge is limited.  Maybe if you had a stronger hockey backround your information would be credible.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Funny comment considering your quote earlier this week:

Grafton/Park River is a team to be feared. Who knows why, but they are successful. Call it the Campells, call it the goaltender but they're successful and will be the rest of the season if they can keep up to tempo. All in all it looks to be whoever can knock off the Bruins. Red River couldnt do it, Central can't, or North. It's up to GPR or Bismarck High.....

Feared? This weekend they got smoked by RR - IN Grafton!

Haven't visited the sight for awhile but am glad to see some hs discussions going on.

Very happy to hear someone has finally said out loud that Marto is not god, nor is he

the whole central hockey team, not saying the kid isn't good for nd but d1, come on!

Watch moorhead and warroad play and you will see talent that belongs d1. In response

to comments about rr and their defenseman, i do believe they have the only player

in the state of nd drafted in the ushl and he is a defenseman. I do agree that rr needs

to be more disciplined but they do have some good players on that team, i believe

everybody has played each other once and now it is time for round 2, it will be very

interesting to see the results. also i personally like hearing jloos' comments, and i think

with the exception of moorhead he provides a pretty unbiased opinion.

North isnt that good. They got worked for 2 out of 3 periods by west fargo which that game ended in ot. And jamestown played a pretty much back and forth game with north.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A back and forth game with these two teams? Come on. This was a battle of the boards and if you win those it gets you upsets later in the year.

Red River and Central have gone on and played some good hockey since their recent game. Red River has defeated Grafton in Grafton 7-2 and then crushed Jamestown 7-1 and West Fargo 8-0. Central defeated Crookston 6-1 and then lost to undefeated western power Minot 4-2 in Minot. Should be an interesting state tournament. Red River and Grafton will both play Minot in the next few weeks and that should clarify how good Minot really is. EDC games are getting into full swing and it should be interesting to see how South matches up against the rest of the east in the second round. North has struggled but won 3 of their last 4 with the loss coming in OT at Grafton after leading for most of the game. In the east the top teams by EDC should be Red River and South. Out west Minot is the class of the field with no one else close.

I was at the GFC-Minot game this past weekend and Minot was clearly the better team. If Central's goaltender hadn't played well, the game might have gotten out of hand. Central is still a pretty good hockey team though, and with a guy like Marto you never know.

I expect RR to beat Minot on Saturday, but I think it will be a really good game. :huh:

That is what I would have expected. Central lost a lot of players to Juniors and is not up to their level of the past two years. Tonight South beat Red River 4-1 so it looks as though they are in the driver's seat right now in the EDC. The Minot/Red River game would be great to see.

Not that I am trying to rain on Minot's parade, but who have they played this season that has been any real competition? It seems to me that Fargo South, Red River and Grafton have been playing much tougher schedules this season. It seems every year people talk about the West finally fielding a team that will compete against the east. And as always the cream always rises to the top and the west battles for the Consolation Championship. I'm curious to get other's opinions. Thanks!

Not that I am trying to rain on Minot's parade, but who have they played this season that has been any real competition?  It seems to me that Fargo South, Red River and Grafton have been playing much tougher schedules this season.  It seems every year people talk about the West finally fielding a team that will compete against the east.  And as always the cream always rises to the top and the west battles for the Consolation Championship.  I'm curious to get other's opinions.  Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've never given the Western teams much credit, but this years Minot team is pretty good. They beat EGF and Central. They still play RR and Grafton this season.

As far as strenght of schedule - the Western teams are pretty limited in who they play. The Fargo teams always play Fergus, Crookston, Moorhead (recently only South, but North used to) as well as a holiday tourny in MN. GF always plays Crookston, EGF and often Roseau or Warroad.

For Minot to play any of these teams would require a long bus trip, plus they are restricted at how many games they can play.

I would not say Minot is the favorite yet, but if they beat RR and Grafton they have to be considered the #1 team in the state. I wouldn't be surprised if they won their second title this year (or did Bismarck win the 1st? I know they played each other but can never remember who won)

I wouldn't be surprised if they won their second title this year (or did Bismarck win the 1st? I know they played each other but can never remember who won)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All I know about that year is Philion had almost as many points (15) in three games than he did (18) in four years at UND! The show he put on during that hs tourney was something to see.

I would not say Minot is the favorite yet, but if they beat RR and Grafton they have to be considered the #1 team in the state.  I wouldn't be surprised if they won their second title this year (or did Bismarck win the 1st? I know they played each other but can never remember who won)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Minot beat powerhouse Williston last night 4-3 in OT, on a 100 foot dump-in.