SiouxSports.com Forum

Red River - Central Game

Fetch

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marto is not that good of a player.  I wouldn't even put him in the top 30 that have played high school hockey in North Dakota.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Marto is a still a very good player. He has very good skills but is a little small for d-1. Ive noticed the same as Jloos about the youth teams in fargo. A few years ago there were 3 patriot teams 2 west fargo teams 2 south fargo teams and 1 north team in the b ranks. it has decreased some.

Not that I am trying to rain on Minot's parade, but who have they played this season that has been any real competition?  It seems to me that Fargo South, Red River and Grafton have been playing much tougher schedules this season.  It seems every year people talk about the West finally fielding a team that will compete against the east.  And as always the cream always rises to the top and the west battles for the Consolation Championship.  I'm curious to get other's opinions.  Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to agree that Minot's schedule is very limited. However, they deserve some respect based on the fact that they have consistently won - even if the competition is not always tough. Their performance against Williston casts some serious doubt on their ability though. We will learn a ton when Red River and Grafton play them.

This is a crazy hockey season - keep in mind South lost to Bismarck High and so did Grafton. Mandan beat Bismarck High and Bismarck Century. South only beat North 3-2 and that after South built a 2-0 lead on power plays. I don't expect western teams to do very well at the state hockey tournament. But this is high school sports and it seems that consistency is hard to find this year, so far, from any team.

Willert the best player in the state?  No way!  A healty Weisgarber from FS is by far and away the best player in the state.  Willert is good don't get me wrong, but Weisgarber is an easy choice.  I think you also need to look at Aide from BHS as well.

Willert was picked to be on the HS elite team this past fall, and ended up being one of the leading scorers - this team was mostly made up of Moorhead and Warroad players.

Weisgarber played on the lower team and did well, but he is no where near the player Willert is - based on playing past HS anyway.

I haven't seen Aide play this season - I believe he was hurt during the fall, so I can't really comment on him. Willert is easily the best D1 recruit in ND IMO.

The game didn't go to OT, Minot won it in the third period.... :huh:

I expected a little bit of a let down after they beat Central and Bismarck High so handily the previous weekend.

PS: I don't think that Weisgarber is the best player in the state. He wasn't even really that much of a factor in the RR-South game the other night... :0

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Weisgarber a non factor? He is a factor everytime he steps out onto the ice, after he went down the team went flat and had a 5 game losing streak. I would say that he is the best player in the east and I can't say much about the west since the only team I've ever gotten to see is Bismark High. But I can say that the west doesn't play anywhere near a challanging schedule as eastren teams do, especially compared to south. So maybe that would inflat the stats a little bit. And yes I know Bismarck did beat south the first game but south was without Mclean and his replacement looked like a deer in the headlights out there. The final seven games should be interesting for south since only two are at home and three of the five on the road are against Central, Grafton, and Crookston. The team is playing better now then they have all year and should be the team to beat at edc and state.

I still don't think that Weisgarber made that big of a difference against Red River. I think South would have won the game with or without him. I thought that #19 for South (can't remember his name) had a much better game. Maybe that just shows how much depth South has.... :huh:

I still don't think that Weisgarber made that big of a difference against Red River.  I think South would have won the game with or without him.  I thought that #19 for South (can't remember his name) had a much better game.  Maybe that just shows how much depth South has.... :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope the Mandan/West Fargo game at 3:30 on Saturday is not cancelled as I would like to see Charlie Bair and his team mates play and make my own assessment. It would be better to see Mandan play one of the top 4 teams in the East Region though.

Number #19 for South is Adam Campbell and he is having a pretty good year.

Red River plays Minot on Saturday too unless the game is cancelled.

I am not sure if any of the games will be canceled tomorrow or not. Mandan is surpising some teams this year. West Fargo out played Grafton thursday and outshot them but lost 5-2 if i can recall. Weisgarber is better than Campbell but that Campbell is one hell of a player.

QUOTE-JLOOS

I guess I just disagree. Weisgarber is a very good player, but I think Willert is the much more likely college player. I do not rate Willert significantly higher on abilities, but the reality is a 5-8 player has to be a lot better than a 6-2 player to play past HS.

Some players peak at an early age, which is what I've seen in Weisgarber. I could be wrong, but I haven't seen much growth in his game the past two seasons. Of course he was hurt most of this year, so that assessment may not be fair. Willert is one of those players that appears to be just getting comfortable with his size. I don't know what he was like as a youth player, but he has really impressed me this season.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is an interesting discussion and we should revisit it during the state tournament and maybe include some other players in the analysis.  Often we narrowly think of forwards when we think of the best players because they score most of the goals.  Just to exand our thinking about "the best hockey players" I'd like to hear some opinions about who the best defensemen are in the East Region.  That might be a more realistic task since I assume more of those who post here have seen eastern teams.  Just to start things off here are a few names of defensemen in the east region that I have seen that have looked good:  Jake Marto (GFC), Eric Galt (South), Chris Bjoralt (North), Andy Petersen (Grafton), Caleb Luecke (South).  I have not seen enough of the Red River players to comment.

Good point. I would add Vigen from RR on that list. He isn't going to score but he is punishes the opposing forwards. He reminds me of Tim O'Connell.

Marto is a great skater, as is Galt from South.

As for Weisgarber, I don't think I've ever put him down. I'm sorry if his mother (specifics) had her feelings hurt. I don't know if he peaked or not, I just layed out the possibility. I've seen the kid play since mites (even coaching him once) and he has always been the best player in Fargo for his age. He still is. However from what I've seen Willert is the better college/pro prospect, I could see how others disagree, and I do not claim to be right, it is just my opinion.

The RR Minot game should be a good one tonight, assuming it is not cancelled. From what I hear the storm was worse to the South, so Minot should be able to make it over.

I think it's funny how obvious it is when a person that has a connection to a player (friend or relative) makes a post. Somebody states an opinion and they get jumped on and often have the statement they made twisted into something that they never actually said (typed).

Scouting report on Charlie Bair: He can finish, I'll give him that and that's about it. Defensively he is nonexistent. For instance, he is a center and should be in the corner helping the defensman down low but instead is sitting at the top of the circles waiting for the home run. 'To make it to the next level you must be a defensive player who is reliable' (Sidney Crosby). Bair's physical game is very average. Montplaisir see's the ice well and can usually find Bair.

The west has been filled with many bewildering upsets this season. Wilbur, with watching many western conference games, your expertise of the western teams is supreme to the rest of ours, so what do you expect the rankings after the regional tournament will be. Undoubtedly Minot will win, but who do you think will come in second, third, and fourth?