SiouxSports.com Forum

New Bio Lab for UND?

fightingsioux4life

On the front page of the December 15th edition of the Grand Forks Herald, it is reported that UND is going to try to land a $25 to $31 million Federal biological research facility that would specialize in creating vaccines against deadly human pathogens. This would mean more and better paying jobs for Grand Forks and another important addition to UND's educational mission. With the war on terror continuing and the fear of terrorists using biological weapons inside the United States, a facility like this is very much relevant to the times in which we live.

The one big potential hurdle is that the ND legislature might decide that the Federal matching requirement would cost the state too much money. I hope our elected representatives, who are usually much better at talking about economic development and job creation than actually doing it, will think twice before killing what could be a wonderful addition to our economy and educational system in North Dakota. Any other thoughts?

Here's the article:

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/10418904.htm

Wilson added that a strong selling point for UND as a possible site is its proximity to Winnipeg, the site of Canada's version of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control.

I didn't realize that was up in Winnipeg. I guess we don't think about our neighbor to the north as often as we should.

The one big potential hurdle is that the ND legislature might decide that the Federal matching requirement would cost the state too much money.  I hope our elected representatives, who are usually much better at talking about economic development and job creation than actually doing it, will think twice before killing what could be a wonderful addition to our economy and educational system in North Dakota.  Any other thoughts?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can't imagine that the legislature would have the foresight to approve any type of funding that isn't tied to some type of agri-business, telemarketing or similar low rent operation. Maybe if it was another pasta plant, or call center for credit collections, it might have a chance. On the other hand, perhaps the county and city, and maybe UND, would have the stones to step and land this thing, as it seems to be a very nice opportunity.

The quote that offered the most promise was:

Wilson said the medical school would need to seek local economic development funding to help with initial years' operational costs once the facility is built. But, he added, the payoff to the city and the region might be recouped with new private sector businesses that would relocate in the area.

"It would spur biotech companies to come here so they could use the laboratories in the facility for testing their vaccines and antibodies," he said.

For a number of years, there has been capacity shortage for manufacturing monoclonal antibodies, which are being developed in different forms by a host of biopharmaceutical companies against different disease targets. Manufacturing capacity will need to increase by 10-15% annually just to keep up with expected demand. If this lab was build near UND, it would be another step in the development of a biotechnology base, with the Med School for research and PRAC’s for clinical development being existing essential core bases. Academically, UND could help by offering biochemical engineering as a specialty area in the chemical enginering department and further strengthening the microbiology and biochemistry departments.

Winnipeg has been able to parlay its academic and government biotech base into a decent biopharmaceutical base (Cangene and Biovail, among others, notwithstanding its large internet pharmacy business). A real biotech success story has been Saskatoon, where there are 5000 jobs (in a city of 200,000) in the biotech industry (mostly in Ag related, but some medical).

There is definite potential here.

• 2 months later...
UND wants the the state to give them $7 Million and Grand Forks to give them $2 million otherwise it ain't going to happen.

Why wait til now to ask?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because the legislature is in session now.

Because the legislature is in session now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

and the city?

Speaking of development within the Tech Park, does anyone know yet what is going in next to the National Weather Service? UND calls it a "seed building."

Hoffarth said the project is a joint venture with an outside entity. Hoffarth said he's not at liberty yet to say identify the entity. It would be leased to several tenants who already have signed up, he said.

and the city?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The city is always in session. :blush:

You have to ask one entity or the other first. It makes sense that you'd ask the state for the larger amount initially. If ND agrees, then you have some leverage to use with the city.

• 4 weeks later...

From today's GFH: Biolab spinoffs: Winnipeg firm, U.S. manufacturer want to set up shop next door

Opportunities to establish an entirely new high-tech industrial base come too infrequently to a city like Grand Forks. Hopefully, this willl pan out.

Peter Alfonso, UND vice president of research, confirmed Wednesday that the school is negotiating with three bio-tech companies in the United States and Canada. He said he couldn't talk about the companies in detail.

What is known is that a Winnipeg-based life sciences firm has expressed interest in building a Grand Forks laboratory near the bio-safety level 3, high-security facility, which would be one notch below labs that handle the deadliest human pathogens.

The Winnipeg firm is said to have lab space in the Toronto area, but a Grand Forks facility, 200 miles away, would place it only two hours away instead of a 10-hour drive or 1,000-mile flight away.  ...

Alfonso said a U.S. manufacturing firm and a company that makes vaccines also are interested in coming to Grand Forks, because of the proposed biolab.

But there are still hurdles: legislative funding, city funding, neighborhood opposition, and 12 cities vying for six slots.

Alfonso said there are about a dozen institutions, including UND, competing for the new regional labs.

"If we were to get the RBL facility, the potential for research opportunities are just spectacular," Alfonso said, "It will transform UND research in the life sciences by having that facility here."

that would be great for UND/GF to get this facility (and a place for me to work in ND ;) )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Depending on the jobs available, I could leave this horrible horrible town known as Rochester, MN and move back to GF. I like to call this town "Rottenchester", MN. Home of the famed Mayo Clinic, and lots of mullets and ultraconservative boring people.

The Cincinnati Enquirer had this article on Agragen, last summer: Agragen envisions homegrown medicine

Dr. Eric Murphy, a University of North Dakota biochemist who has been working with Huttenbauer, said the project has gotten the attention of large family farms in North Dakota's Red River Valley.

The impending Central American Free Trade Agreement is expected to have a negative impact on the region's $700 million sugar beet industry, and Murphy said farmers there are looking for a replacement crop.

"I've talked to a number of people, and the vast majority are sincerely interested,'' Murphy said.

Huttenbauer's son said Agragen envisions contracting with farmers to grow the crops, which the company will then process for the DHA and albumin.

Depending on the jobs available, I could leave this horrible horrible town known as Rochester, MN and move back to GF. I like to call this town "Rottenchester", MN. Home of the famed Mayo Clinic, and lots of mullets and ultraconservative boring people.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow awefully harsh on Rochester. I like the town. Conservative, yes, but getting more progressive all the time. Just look what happened at last election. Even compared to 5 years ago Rochester is much lesss conservative.

Wow awefully harsh on Rochester. I like the town. Conservative, yes, but getting more progressive all the time. Just look what happened at last election. Even compared to 5 years ago Rochester is much lesss conservative.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I really hate it here. Luckily, I get to leave soon...less than a month now. Only been here about 3 years. I just think it is sad that a town of near 90,000 people seems smaller than GF. I would imagine you are older than I am. For families, Rochester is good. For a college aged person such as myself, Rochester is probably the worst town I've ever been to or lived in. Honest opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

from todays GFH:

So, the local requests had to be solid, practical and promise real value for the state's dollar. Grand Forks asked for additional dike money to cover for inflation and federal sluggishness; it got $2.1 million. And Gov. John Hoeven's "Centers of Excellence" plan, which will invest in university-related projects that boast special economic-development promise, netted $20 million.

That figure's important, because it's a $5 million boost from the $15 million lawmakers had been intending to spend. The extra $5 million was added to cover the chance that one project would get a big fraction of the total. The one project said to be on most lawmakers' minds was a biocontainment research lab at UND, clearly one of the most exciting and promising ideas around.

• 2 weeks later...

Rather in-depth article today on the Grand Forks agbiotech startup company, Agragen. With their target of DHA (an Omega-3 fatty acid) and Albumin, Agragen is going after some sizeable nutriceutical and pharmaceutical markets. But with concerns around transgenomic commingling, they may have a bigger hurdle than just the FDA: other farmers.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/b...ss/11599407.htm

Rather in-depth article today on the Grand Forks agbiotech startup company, Agragen.  With their target  of DHA (an Omega-3 fatty acid) and Albumin, Agragen is going after some sizeable nutriceutical and pharmaceutical markets.  But with concerns around transgenomic commingling, they may have a bigger hurdle than just the FDA:  other farmers.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/b...ss/11599407.htm

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that's especially true here in the northern great plains. the farmers are much more resistant to transgenic and pharmaceutical producing crops. i don't know if it's the abuse of the railroads causing distrust or if the corn/soybean crowd has been dealing with this a little longer than us.

i wish agragen the best

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Interesting that three life sciences companies may still locate in GF, even without the national biolab. With the energy potential of ND (coal, oil, wind, bio) starting to liven the ND economy, a biotech and aerospace presence in GF, and a Fargo economy that keeps growing, new UND grads may soon experience a level of opportunity in ND that seemed impossible just 10 or 20 years ago.

UND foundation proposes new tech park

The lab space would include a 5,000-square-foot biosafety Level 2 lab and a 3,000-square-foot biosafety Level 3 lab. Level 2 labs are designed to contain diseases of moderate risk, such as Hepatitis B, according to the U.S. Centers For Disease Control and Prevention. Level 3 labs are more secure and can contain "serious or potentially lethal diseases as a result of exposure by the inhalation," such as tuberculosis.

The infectious disease research center that UND proposed last year was to be biosafety Level 3. It ended up not getting any funding.

Currently, three unnamed life sciences companies are interested in moving into the tech park.

Defense contractors should also find the tech park attractive for the high level of security, and two have expressed interest.

Pettel said the other company is McLean, Va., based defense contractor Alion Science and Technology, which is working with UND's School of Engineering and Mines.

Rounding out the five would-be tenants is a "support services" company and UND.

• 3 months later...

UND seeks germ lab: Research center would be an economic boon

UND is competing for a major federal germ research center that could bring up to 300 high-paying jobs to the Grand Forks area and boost the university's life sciences programs.

Called the National Bio and Agro-defense Facility, it would be the first U.S. lab designed to detect and find cures for both animal and human diseases - and diseases that could cross from one to the other, such as the bird flu.

University officials are touting the lab's potentially enormous economic impact. Vice president for research Peter Alfonso estimated that construction and the first year's cost of operation would have an impact in the neighborhood of $500 million.