SiouxSports.com Forum

Division I

UND Fan

like i said earlier i talked to a ranking ndsu offical and he said with the way fund raising is going now to there surprise being that football the big fund raising source/sport is over that they should be able to cover the extra 1 millon dollars. :angry:???

like i said earlier i talked to a ranking ndsu offical and he said with the way fund raising is going now to there surprise being that football the big fund raising source/sport is over that they should be able to cover the extra 1 millon dollars. :angry:  ???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Forgive me if I fail to be impressed by secondhand rumors. Show me the numbers.

So based on Ryan Bakken's data, NDSU budget changes from 2003-4 to 2004-5 are as follows:

$7700 2004 expenses

$6100 2003 Revenue base

$-140 ticket sale decline

$300 Teammakers increase

$100 student fee increase

$333 cornerstone campaign

$-1007 k shortfall

Based on that data, it looks like the Cornerstone Campaign has to kick in an extra $300k to make this year's budget. The Cornerstone campaign may get more difficult each year, as most would rather give to a building campaign or an endowment, both of which are needed.

What gets real interesting is 2009 or so, when the $9.5 mill budget must be met. Liberally increasing ticket sales by $640,00 over this year and adding another $200 k for teammakers, adding in more corporate sponsorships, and the shortfall balloons to $1.5 mill annually.

$9500 2009 expenses

$6100 2003 Revenue base

$ 500 ticket sale increase

$ 500 Teammakers increase

$ 150 student fee increase

$ 150 BB guarantees

$ 250 FB guarantee

$ 150 NCAA money

$ 200 Corporate sponsorship

$-1500 k shortfall to be made up by annual Cornerstone campaign.

How popular will it be when baseball gets dropped by NDSU and there is no college tenant for on-campus Newman Field?

Somewhat interesting that UND is using tuition waivers to fund women's hockey.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, as I thought these schollies were funded. But this could also explain why there was no repercussion for an athletic fund deficit (the school absorbs the athletic department loss by using tuition waivers).

So based on Ryan Bakken's data, NDSU budget changes from 2003-4 to 2004-5 are as follows:

$7700 2004 expenses

$6100 2003 Revenue base

$-140 ticket sale decline

$300 Teammakers increase

$100 student fee increase

$333 cornerstone campaign

$-1007 k shortfall

Based on that data, it looks like the Cornerstone Campaign has to kick in an extra $300k to make this year's budget.  The Cornerstone campaign may get more difficult each year, as most would rather give to a building campaign or an endowment, both of which are needed.

What gets real interesting is 2009 or so, when the $9.5 mill budget must be met.  Liberally increasing ticket sales by $640,00 over this year and adding another $200 k for teammakers, adding in more corporate sponsorships, and the shortfall balloons to $1.5 mill annually.

$9500 2009 expenses

$6100 2003 Revenue base

$ 500 ticket sale increase

$ 500 Teammakers increase

$ 150 student fee increase

$ 150 BB guarantees

$ 250 FB guarantee

$ 150 NCAA money

$ 200        Corporate sponsorship

$-1500 k shortfall to be made up by annual Cornerstone campaign.

How popular will it be when baseball gets dropped by NDSU and there is no college tenant for on-campus Newman Field?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sorry where did you get these numbers from

I agree, as I thought these schollies were funded. But this could also explain why there was no repercussion for an athletic fund deficit (the school absorbs the athletic department loss by using tuition waivers).

Apologies. I was sure I'd heard someone who should know (Alumni Association fundraiser) say those dollars being banked (not waivered as noted).

star2city: Where's the money for facilities improvements?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Will that happen before or after UND and UM-D join the Horizon League as Travel Partners (it is unlikely UND would join the Big Sky as GF has no west-bound Flights), SDSU decides not to go DI because of USD, and Denver joins the Big Sky with UNC as a travel partner ???

Will that happen before or after UND and UM-D join the Horizon League as Travel Partners (it is unlikely UND would join the Big Sky as GF has no west-bound Flights), SDSU decides not to go DI because of USD, and Denver joins the Big Sky with UNC as a travel partner ???

And when is that time relative to when NDSU raises the $8 to 16 MM for BSA renovations (while continuing to request Cornerstone funds)? :angry:

Regarding the question of would I be willing to ante up another 25%... yes I would. However, I would do it begrudgingly, and only to maintain my curent seat locations. I'm too damn old to start over again at the end of the list.

The main issue for me is what this move will do to our basketball programs, and many of my sentiments echo those of Gene Roebuck. I truly believe that the traditions and success we have come to enjoy (from our Women's program primarily) will be void for a long, long time. Quite possibly, they may never return. I don't think going to I-AA in football is enough of a reparation to watch our basketball teams play the likes of Presentation College.

If you cut off your head and stand on it, you're not any taller.

The main issue for me is what this move will do to our basketball programs, and  many of my sentiments echo those of Gene Roebuck.  I truly believe that the traditions and success we have come to enjoy (from our Women's program primarily) will be void for a long, long time. Quite possibly, they may never return.  I don't think going to I-AA in football is enough of a reparation to watch our basketball teams play the likes of Presentation College.

If you cut off your head and stand on it, you're not any taller.

The Presentation College problem is solved by securing a conference. Then, basketball can eventually make the Big Dance by winning the conference (yay, a first round drubbing by Duke!) Seriously, though, I've always thought the average college basketball player would rather play a game in the D-I tournament than the D-II championship, but I certainly have no first hand experience.

The NCAA recognizes the problem of schools reclassifying primarily for football, as I mentioned here (unfortunately, my attempt to salvage that thread failed).

I can't imagine why Brand would say that (i.e. that schools move up from DII to DI because of football). It doesn't make sense - by and large, it's BASKETBALL that lures DII schools to DI, not the bright lights of DI-AA football. Even the ex-NCC commissioner realized that.

Seriously, though, I've always thought the average college basketball player would rather play a game in the D-I tournament than the D-II championship, but I certainly have no first hand experience.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also have no first hand experience, but I respectfully disagree. Case in point, Kierah Kimbrough. Maybe the locale played more of a role in her signing, but a championship opportunity never hurts.

I also have no first hand experience, but I respectfully disagree. Case in point, Kierah Kimbrough. Maybe the locale played more of a role in her signing, but a championship opportunity never hurts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

but the exception doesn't prove the rule.

Kimbrough is a great recruit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's more of an issue with the men's teams as opposed to the women's. The men seem more influenced by the level of competition, the women seem to want to stay closer to home.