SiouxSports.com Forum

The Division I question...

dakotadan

Has their administration just historically placed a lower importance on football than some other similarly situated schools?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Basketball is the marquee sport at SDSU. Football plays second fiddle.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When head to head in a previous post, I rated you guys as good/very good and sdsu as good. With SDSU with a year of DIAA experience, and yes Virginia, DIAA football is tougher on average than D2, and increasing scholarships, I think the Jacks will do fine.

Despite your run in the playoffs, UND this year is not the same team as in the last few years. You also have a head coach who has been applying for jobs at other schools.

I didn't say anything about the bison.

When head to head in a previous post, I rated you guys as good/very good and sdsu as good.  With SDSU with a year of DIAA experience, and yes Virginia, DIAA football is tougher on average than D2, and increasing scholarships, I think the Jacks will do fine.

Despite your run in the playoffs, UND this year is not the same team as in the last few years.  You also have a head coach who has been applying for jobs at other schools. 

I didn't say anything about the bison.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you serious when you say he applied for other jobs? What were they?

Sacramento State. Was offered the job, but turned it down which in hindsight was a very smart move.

I can't see how he isn't on many peoples radar. I actually think he would make a decent DI(A) defensive coordinator. I don't know how well Lennon's amazing defense/whatever offense I've got policy would work too well as he moves up the food chain.

With SDSU with a year of DIAA experience, and yes Virginia, DIAA football is tougher on average than D2, and increasing scholarships, I think the Jacks will do fine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Jacks didn't move to DI-AA because of football. As long as basketball remains SDSU's marquee sport, I see no reason to believe that the Jacks will do any better at DI-AA football than they did at DII football.

Despite your run in the playoffs, UND this year is not the same team as in the last few years. 
Brilliant observation, considering that no college team has probably ever been the same as any year before. :silly:

You also have a head coach who has been applying for jobs at other schools.

So?

-I think that the Jacks will probably have the same records as they had in the part, but their teams will be much better as they will be max out on football scholarships.

-UND was not as good this year as they were in 2001 and 2003.

-I believe that if UND loses Lennon it is in serious trouble.

Unless I am mistaken football also plays second fiddle at UND yet we are still able to produce high quality teams. :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lately, that's true, but it hasn't always been the the case. UND made a commitment to compete with the top teams of the NCC in terms of coaching, recruiting and facilities. To my knowledge, SDSU has never made that commitment. Historically, SDSU has been content with having a marginally successful football program as long as the basketball team is winning.

-I think that the Jacks will probably have the same records as they had in the part, but their teams will be much better as they will be max out on football scholarships.

That reamins to be seen. I'm skeptical.

-UND was not as good this year as they were in 2001 and 2003.
In 2001, the Sioux were very well-balanced offensively and defensively, which is probably why they won it all. In 2003, the Sioux were a pass-oriented offense and their defense was good, but not great. The 2004 Sioux relied heavily on a great defense to make up for a so-so offense. In the end, the defense wasn't good enough to stop the most productive offense in NCAA history. I don't see much shame in losing to a team that will probably win the national championship.

-I believe that if UND loses Lennon it is in serious trouble.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's the conventional Bison-fan/Fargo media thinking. While I'd hate to see Lennon leave, UND's success in football didn't begin with Lennon and it won't end with him.

That's the conventional Bison-fan/Fargo media thinking. While I'd hate to see Lennon leave, UND's success in football didn't begin with Lennon and it won't end with him.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope he stays for many years, but UND will be fine when Dale Lennon eventually does leave. As an example of a possible potential successor, I think this guy has the makings of an outstanding head coach in a few years.

if coach Lennon did leave Mussman or Tibesar would be my guess as the next head coach...Tibesar would continue the UND ties and he definitely bleeds green...would see no problem as UND losing anything with either of them..as long as the football is fully funded at whatever level they play at..UND will be competitive!!

if SDSU was smart they would put all their eggs in Basketball and hope to make the big dance..if they can get in a conference..I dont see any money being made in D 1AA football...not like making the field of 65...IMO

How much so with the "eggs in one basket" theory? All the way like Valpo and Drake (non-scholarship FB), or have it like they've had in DII where they're dangerous yet not a threat to a title?

..show me how much the D1AA champion will make this year??

Not sure who the 2004 champ will be, but I can show you the 2004 contenders' numbers from last year.

School Revenues Expenditures Net

Montana $8,989,596 $9,843,693 ($854,097)

William & Mary $12,474,036 $12,347,408 $126,638

Sam Houston State $5,566,303 $5,416,735 $149,568

James Madison $18,256,965 $17,989,122 $267,843

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/InstList.asp

Maybe a bit off topic, but this is what amuses me the most about the whole Division I thing:

Last week, Central Arkansas (from the Gulf South Conference) announced that it was moving to Division I. The story came out in the papers down there a day or two after the December 1 deadline. There wasn't much fanfare and no indication that anyone outside of the administration had any idea what was going on. Central Arkansas had only been in Division II for about 10 years!

Anytime a school up here contemplates making a move, we hire consultants to do studies, conduct surveys, do more studies, conduct more surveys and on and on. Not to mention the 24/7 press coverage and "investigative reports" on the issue.

I'm not saying the way UCA is doing things is the right way. I'm sure everyone would agree that the more discussion that goes on and having more information available is much better than leaving everyone in the dark. It's just funny that two different areas of the country can take such complete opposite approaches to the same issue.

Maybe a bit off topic, but this is what amuses me the most about the whole Division I thing:

Last week, Central Arkansas (from the Gulf South Conference) announced that it was moving to Division I. The story came out in the papers down there a day or two after the December 1 deadline. There wasn't much fanfare and no indication that anyone outside of the administration had any idea what was going on. Central Arkansas had only been in Division II for about 10 years!

Anytime a school up here contemplates making a move, we hire consultants to do studies, conduct surveys, do more studies, conduct more surveys and on and on. Not to mention the 24/7 press coverage and "investigative reports" on the issue.

I'm not saying the way UCA is doing things is the right way. I'm sure everyone would agree that the more discussion that goes on and having more information available is much better than leaving everyone in the dark. It's just funny that two different areas of the country can take such complete opposite approaches to the same issue.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that can be attributed at least in part to the fact that UND and NDSU athletics are big time here. I would guess most people in Arkansas could care less about Central Arkansas. I for one think it's great that UND/NDSU get the coverage they do for not being high-profile DI programs.

I think that can be attributed at least in part to the fact that UND and NDSU athletics are big time here. I would guess most people in Arkansas could care less about Central Arkansas. I for one think it's great that UND/NDSU get the coverage they do for not being high-profile DI programs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree from the media coverage standpoint, but Central Arkansas is a decent sized school (11,000 enrollment) just outside of Little Rock. They also have some outstanding facilities and an indoor practice facility with the Pepsi name on it, so someone must care. I believe they draw 7K + for football, which is good for a D2 school.

I guess my main point is that there was no public discussion whatsoever at UCA before the move was made. There was nothing on the school's website and nothing in the newspapers. If UND had filed the paperwork for a division change without telling anyone, then had it come out in the papers a couple of days later, what would the reaction around here have been like?