SiouxSports.com Forum

The Division I question...

dakotadan

Sicatoka,

I think it would be fair to say something to the effect, the Big Sky will expand if it makes the conference better as decided upon by the University Presidents.

For your (a) (b) I don't think it's either/or or a ranking. I think that NDSU/SDSU get more points for being further along than UND, as does UNC over NDSU/SDSU and SUU over the lot. I also think that all schools save UND get much more attention as they have already made the commitment, they are/will be DI schools. This is even more important as the Big Sky needs a minimum of 7 full status members of D1 to retain their March Madness berth ($$$). SUU is the only school that has been around long enough to jump that hurdle, then UNC, then the SU's. I think that is a very big deal to the Big Sky, probably the main reason why they are considering expansion.

I don't think (b) matters that much as the only school who potentially doesn't fit the mold is SUU.

The transition period is a minor detail, making a commitment to D1 is huge. The fact that UND didn't fill out paper work by the first thus lengthening their transition period by at least a year doesn't yell commitment to D1 to me.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read on another thread that UND decided not pursue hosting the D2 Football championship because they didn't have the resources to complete the paperwork, as opposed to it being because they may be pursuing D1.

UND doesn't have the manpower to fill out a form, but is ready to make the transition to D1???

?

Quit being so tough on my posts

How about

Fact: UND did not pursue hosting the D2 championship because they don't have the resources.

Opinion: I believe that UND is going to have a heck of a time making the transition. IF THEY DO they need to give their athletic department more help.

Opinion: I believe that UND is thoroughly confused on the matter, given the Fact: they decided just two weeks before the deadline to express INTEREST in the Big Sky and now must RUSH to finish the paperwork.

my original post, which obviously didn't meet your high standards, PCM, meant they can't complete the paperwork for the Championship, but they are CONSIDERING doing something that will require many times the amount of work

Iowa,

You are turning this D1 thing into the Amazing Race or something. You act like how far along you are is gonna be so huge when a conference decides who to pick. Who cares about one or two years when you look at the entire University in question as a whole.

Which is more important: SDSU's 3 years left on probation and crap facilities or UND's Alerus Center, REA, and Betty being available in 5 years and being around for 25-50 years? You make it sound like everything is such a race, NDSU and SDSU are now beating you by 2 years instead of 1. WHOOOOAAAAHHH. Obviously, we don't give a sh*t. Our facilities and strong teams and support are gonna be here for a long time and the BSC knows that.

I hope they don't choose schools by who becomes eligible first. :silly:

Quit being so tough on my posts

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Put more thought into your posts and maybe I won't be so tough on them.

Here's my opinion: You have no idea what's going on at UND.

My advice: Stop pretending that you do.

Why don't you attack my posts instead of me?

You're obviously doing just fine with your posts as well.

Steve Hallstrom in an October broadcast of the 10 o'clock news stated that Harmeson had told him point blank that UND was not pursuing DI at the time. Attack Hallstrom, hell attack me (for the third time today), but that's the kind of news (and flip flops) we've been hearing for the last three years.

If it's wrong please correct it, but quit being such a jerk.

Iowa,

You are turning this D1 thing into the Amazing Race or something.  You act like how far along you are is gonna be so huge when a conference decides who to pick.  Who cares about one or two years when you look at the entire University in question as a whole. 

Which is more important:  SDSU's 3 years left on probation and crap facilities or UND's Alerus Center, REA, and Betty being available in 5 years and being around for 25-50 years?  You make it sound like everything is such a race, NDSU and SDSU are now beating you by 2 years instead of 1.  WHOOOOAAAAHHH.  Obviously, we don't give a sh*t.  Our facilities and strong teams and support are gonna be here for a long time and the BSC knows that. 

I hope they don't choose schools by who becomes eligible first. :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that the Big Sky is seriously concerned that they may lose some members in the next few years, possibly before NDSU/SDSU would be full fledged members of Division 1.

Answer this question, what do you think is more important to the Big Sky, losing $$$ because they don't have enough eligible members or the REA. Losing millions of dollars is probably a pretty big deal to the conference.

Steve Hallstrom is your source for all your "knowledge" you have been presenting to us?  That guy has his head so far up Bohl's ass it is ridiculous.  He is all NDSU and that is it. 

Don't tell me you go by what he says.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My point is this is the things that people who follow the "Mainstream Media" hear. I was stunned when I heard it, but I didn't think he was lying (maybe a little bit).

Thought I'd match PCM's 'spin' with another term from political punditry.

Steve Hallstrom in an October broadcast of the 10 o'clock news stated that Harmeson had told him point blank that UND was not pursuing DI at the time. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As has been previously pointed out on SiouxSports.com and publicly stated by Harmeson after Hallstrom's selective quoting, there was far more to what Harmeson said than the part that Hallstrom cherry-picked.

And that's been the problem with most of the reporting done on this issue by the Fargo media. It selectively reports certain UND statements, applies an NDSU spin and treats that spin as fact.

I pointed out in a previous post that the Forum's story about the "Iraqi oil embargo of 1992" supposedly preventing NDSU from jumping to DI-AA 12 years ago was totally bogus. It was such an outrageous crock of ofal that I'm amazed that anyone who took Editing 101 would allow it to be published without question.

But that's the type of reporting I've come to expect from the Fargo media, which thinks its role is to shame, bully and intimidate UND into doing what NDSU thinks it should do, not what's best for UND.

Kupchella cautioned that UND should not allow its decision on the DI-AA issue to be driven by pride and emotion. He's right.

What?  So they better go run and get the first team possible then right?? 

"We gotta get 10 teams.  Call Montana Tech, see what they think.  Call anyone who will listen"

Hell with long term, right?  Lets get teams that will fill out our roster now.  Even though they may be leaving also in 10 years cause they have no money or facilities.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's obviously more to it than that, but the March Madness Money Motivator is a big deal and it isn't 10 teams, its 7 :silly: . If all they wanted to do was add a team, they'd probably just call up Southern Utah and be done with it. But the Thunderbirds are in the middle of nowhere and don't have a strong commitment to academics.

UND/Montana Tech :lol: do happen to be at the bottom of the list in this ONE category, if the list includes SUU, UNC, NDSU/SDSU, UND/Montana Tech (in that order). There are clearly other important factors.

But that's the type of reporting I've come to expect from the Fargo media, which thinks its role is to shame, bully and intimidate UND into doing what NDSU thinks it should do, not what's best for UND.

I'm curious now. What do you think that the Fargo Media is trying to get UND to do? Go DI or stay DII?

It was pretty obvious what UND and the Grand Forks media wanted NDSU to do (i.e. stay in DII).

I wish the people of Grand Forks could be this forward thinking. Instead, everyone in this town believes that absolutely nothing should ever change and that anything that does change is EVIL!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Since when was it up to the people of Grand Forks to make the decision? It's not. They can have a voice, but ultimately, it's up to the UND administration, the alumni, the State Board of Higher Education and legislators.

All those who are so anxious to move to DI-AA can do one thing to speed up the process: Open their checkbooks and start writing a check to UND.

I don't know if any of you will find this interesting but there is a poll going on Omaha.com about UNO's athletics and what division people would like to see them in.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If Internet polls meant anything, John Kerry would be planning his inaugural and Jared Ross would be polishing his Hobey Baker trophy.

I'm curious now. What do you think that the Fargo Media is trying to get UND to do? Go DI or stay DII?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gosh, Tony, I really don't know. Could you give me a hint? Maybe the message was a tad too subliminal for me to pick up.

It was pretty obvious what UND and the Grand Forks media wanted NDSU to do (i.e. stay in DII).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope. The Grand Forks media wanted NDSU to move to DIII. ;)

Honestly, I don't recall the Grand Forks media saying much about whether NDSU should stay in DII or move to DI-AA. As I recall, most of the coverage centered on how NDSU's move was likely to affect UND and what UND should do in response.

I sincerely doubt that anyone in Grand Forks had any illusions about influencing NDSU's decision. Everyone knew that NDSU was going to go sooner or later.

OK. Then I wish the people of North Dakota would be more forward thinking. And I do open up my checkbook and give to UND. It is called paying tuition.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That covers the cost of you attending UND as it exists today. It doesn't cover the additional cost of a move to DI-AA. Big difference.

If Internet polls meant anything, John Kerry would be planning his inaugural and Jared Ross would be polishing his Hobey Baker trophy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

;)

I never said that internet polls meant anything. I simply posted the poll in case anybody would be interested in checking it out.

I don't know if any of you will find this interesting but...