SiouxSports.com Forum

How many people were there?

Let'sGoHawks!

Disappointing attendance for all of the statewide print and media advertising by UND billing the huge rematch.

The UND game had 8,200 and the Pitt. St. game had 10,000 + so without a doubt the Sioux will be in the "jungle" next Saturday in Kansas.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

were you there?? if not, why not?? It was less than i hoped but considering the Holiday weekend - they were great!!! I'm sure the fans were just about as beat as the players after the game...GREAT NOISE - especially LATE!! They definately helped!!! GO SIOUX!!

I also thought the crowd looked larger than 8200...I would have guessed close to 10,000. 4800 empty seats in the Al? Where??? Either way, the 8 false start penalties on GVSU were made possible by the 8200 in attendance. I'd rather have 8200 screaming their lungs out on each defensive down than 13000 sitting on their butts eating dippin dots the whole game, but that's just me. Great noise, Sioux fans!! :D

I agree. 8,200 seems low to me, too. The only places I saw large numbers of open seats were on the extreme north and south ends of the EAST side. I was thinking of moving to that side at half time if better seats were available, but there were none that I could see.

Edited by PCM

I have been to every game played at the Alerus, and can generally predict the crowd size within about 500. This is the second or third time that the actual size of the crowd was probably about 2000 more than the announced crowd. The other times being the UC-Davis game in 2001 and the NDSU game in 2003. I guarantee that there were more than 10,000 people there yesterday.

It seemed to me there were more than 8222 there. There were empty seats strewn about, as well as the end sections...but over 4000 empty seats? Doesn't seem possible. There were even a few hundred standing on the ends too, not in their seats that they purchased. Whatever the actual number was, we were a loud bunch, and I was exhausted after the game. Hopefully we can win down at Pitt. Anyone going???

I have been to every game played at the Alerus, and can generally predict the crowd size within about 500. This is the second or third time that the actual size of the crowd was probably about 2000 more than the announced crowd. The other times being the UC-Davis game in 2001 and the NDSU game in 2003. I guarantee that there were more than 10,000 people there yesterday.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have been to all the games in the Alerus also, there had to be many more fans than the 8200 they listed (10,000 seems about right). There were more fans than I expected and it was in the top 3-4 for noise. I was surprised at how few GVSU fans were there, I know they usually travel well, but there didn't seem to be more than 200 yesterday.

We are looking forward to the Jungle!

It was mostly the Holidays mostly that kept a lot of the GVSU fans from coming. *Is hanging out with your family all weekend more important than football? If its anything like mine, NO!* There probably would have about 600 of us if we had played this game a week before, or if somebody in the GVSU AD had gotten off their butt and organized a fan bus or a another charter plane perhaps. Anyways, It was an amazing game guys. No Matter what the attendance was at the game, it certainly was a hell of a lot louder than what 50,000 plus at the Big House was. I can safely say that this was the first road game I've been to where us GVSU fans have been clearly out shouted by the home fans.

And other than a few bad apples, you guys where pretty good to us anyways. Putting GVSU fans next to the students is just simply not a smart idea, but the Alerus people where on top of it all. Good job guys.

Putting GVSU fans next to the students is just simply not a smart idea, but the Alerus people where on top of it all.  Good job guys.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well that is your guy's fault. You could've been where visiting fans usually are put, but you had to complain and force UND to obey the NC$$ rules. :D:silly:

Last year I remember the North Alabama fans were behind us because I remember them showering us with all that confetti and crap. Then we made our own confetti and threw it at them. :D Why couldn't UND put the GVSU fans there again? They are seats between the 30's.

It seemed like there was more than 8,200 to me also. I talked to a person in the athletic department Friday afternoon and they said that there was a little over 8,000 tickets sold at that time and were counting on a decent walkup also, like usual.

Makes me wonder how only 8,200 were there? :D

I don't know how reliable of a source Swygman is but he said during the bb game on friday night that they had sold over 13,000 tickets sold at that point (that seemed a little excessive) but there were at least 10,000 there and man it was loud as I remember in a while there.

This may seem a little unrealistic to some but I really believe it has something to do with it. The NCAA takes their portion of the gate for all the NCAA Playoff games. So what UND does is reduces the number of people who attended the game and by stating that as the official number, that is what the NCAA takes from the gate. Therefore, if there was 1,000 more tickets sold than that, UND gets the profits from those tickets, without sharing.

Just one man's theory. :D

I think what happened is that all spectators who weren't UND students, children or senior citizens ($18 per ticket) counted as one spectator. Children and seniors ($11 per ticket) counted as 11/18ths of a spectator, and UND students ($5 per ticket) counted as 5/18ths of a spectator. :D

I think what happened is that all spectators who weren't UND students, children or senior citizens ($18 per ticket) counted as one spectator. Children and seniors ($11 per ticket) counted as 11/18ths of a spectator, and UND students ($5 per ticket) counted as 5/18ths of a spectator.  ???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is quite possible - quite stupid, but quite possible!

I think what happened is that all spectators who weren't UND students, children or senior citizens ($18 per ticket) counted as one spectator. Children and seniors ($11 per ticket) counted as 11/18ths of a spectator, and UND students ($5 per ticket) counted as 5/18ths of a spectator.  :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I never thought of it that way! ???