SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux games on TV in the Twin Cities

mksioux

I am a GF transplant living in the Twin Cities. I am very interested in watching Sioux hockey games on television down here in the Twin Cities. I know that all Sioux home games are on a KU satellite feed. The problem is that I believe you need a Big Dish to get this KU feed. I know of nobody in the area with a Big Dish. I've called some sports bars inquiring as to whether they could pick up such a feed, and none of them can (or if they can, they are unwilling to do so on a Friday or Saturday night).

Anyway, if anyone out there knows of an establishment in the Twin Cities that has the ability and the willingness to pick up the feed and broadcast the games, I could easily line up a handful of people to watch them on a regular basis.

I highly doubt this post will bring me any good news, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've had luck at Champps in Richfield when the Sioux were in the GLI last year. In that case I believe the game was on Fox Sports something something and they could get it on their satellite. However, I went back at some point later in the season for a game (forget which one) and they could not access the coordinates normally carrying the Sioux. But watch when the Sioux are in a more major market like WI or something, you may get lucky.

And if a group of Sioux fans is gathering somewhere in the cities it would be great if you don't mind company to post it here. Might be a few more that show up...

I think most sports bars now subscribe to sports packages, instead of having a Big Ugly Dish (BUD). Thus, they can pick up Fox Sports-New England, Fox Sports-Michigan, etc., but they can't pick up random feeds. I suppose it's cheaper for the bar, while still getting most of the popular sporting events. I have yet to find a bar with the capability of picking up a KU Band feed. If I do, I will definately share that information on this board.

The first Sioux game that might be on TV in the Twin Cities will be one of the games at St. Cloud. Last year, Channel 45 covered the Friday night game. I'll keep my eyes open to see if they are covering one again and maybe pick a place where Sioux fans may gather and cheer for the good guys. :D

The Friday night game at St. Cloud (Nov. 8) will be televised in the Twin Cities on KSTC Channel 45. Saturday night's game is only televised in St. Cloud.

LINK

As far as the Wisco game on UPN, I can't confirm or deny. But if it is on UPN, I bet the game is only being aired on the Wisconsin affiliates. Perhaps Hudson might be an option. I wonder if Hudson carries the Twin Cities UPN affiliate or if they carry a Wisconsin affiliate. Luckily I'm headed up to Grand Forks to see this series in person. :D

This doesn't help much for those of you "stuck" in Gopher land, but Midcontinent Cable, which has much of the cable in ND, will televize home games again this year.

Unfortunately, Midco sold out where I am to a rural telco company, so I don't get 'em :D

Scheduled games are supposed to be posted at http://www.midcocomm.com

Here's a list of ND towns that will get the games and the cable channel on which they will be shown: http://www.midcocomm.com/und_hockey/

Dagies, Note that Williston gets it, so you should be able to watch the Niagara series when you're over here. Bringing along any hockey fans?

I've spoken with college football fans who claim America's Sports Bar in the big mall is very accomodating - especially if you call ahead and tell them you have a group. If the game is on a dish they seem to be able to pull it in.

I've never done this first hand, just relaying what I've heard.

Good luck

This deal looks great for Sioux fans in Grand Forks and throughout North Dakota and nortwestern Minnesota (wherever the viewing region will be). I think this is a good start, but it doesn't appear that it will help those of us outside of the viewing region. All of the home hockey games are already on satellite, but unless you have a big dish, you don't have access to the satellite feed. It doesn't appear that this new deal will change that.

Ideally, I'd like this new Sioux network to be available for purchase through DirecTV or Dish Network. I'm dreaming I know, but maybe someday.

Despite the fact that it won't benefit me personally, I'm still very glad to see that more Sioux sports will be on TV. Hopefully this will lead to even bigger things.

And Greyeagle, thanks for the tip. I'll look into it.

i'm a sioux fan also living in dt minneapolis. last year i caught a half-dozen games at the champps in new brighton. i got to know the manager (Tom?) and he'd get the feed on their big dish. of course, i'd have to watch it on one of the smaller t.v.'s when the goofers were on. i actually watched a game with bochenski's aunt and cousin. it would be nice to get a group of fans together so we could take over the bar and watch it on the big screen.

Hey,

I watched several games last year at Joe Senser's in Bloomington, including the Maine game that was picked up by a station out east. I believe they still have the big dish. The last time I went in there to watch, there was a group of Sioux fans watching the game. The satellite coordinates were posted on the UND Athletics web page.