SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. CC

Let'sGoHawks!

College Hockey you need to score more than 2 goals against a team like CC.

They are going to score goals. Sioux PP has sucked for about 3 or 4 years.

How long has coach hakstol run it?:silly:?

I think they have plenty of talent. But you need some guys that need to play hard and consistent game in and game out.

I hope they don't get swept by CC..

How were the breakout passes? Any forward get hit in the back of the neck?

Record vs CC is brutal. I think they need to recruit more SO. MN kids...?

I can't believe it Northeastern and CC at home and no points....

I have to disagree with most here. I think they played VERY well. Compared with the last 6 games, they were fairly solid. We were disciplined and skated hard for much of the game. The problem, like everyone is saying, is that nobody is finishing.

They held CC, a very speedy young team, to only 2 shots in the first, and 22 for the game. They also outshot a team for the first time in 6 games.

At times in this game they looked VERY sharp. It is clear they have been revamping the powerplay because they were making fake shot passes and not rushing things, very tape to tape too. The plays were much different than in the past, no more shooting into the D-Man right in front of you. They were intelligent and very much outworked CC a lot of the time. Their passing was for the most part a huge improvement over the last lot of games. CC made the most of their few opportunities, and Parise had rebound problems. The only really bad defensive play was when Smaby got flown by like he was standing still and the resulting shot gave a juicy rebound for someone to bury.

In my opinion, aside from not finishing and ONLY TWO defensive errors, UND deserved to win that game.

Unfortunately, deserving to win doesn't cut it in this league. Plus, after what I've seen the last few years, is 3 losses anything to worry about at this point?? I, personally, have no doubts that this team is headed in the right direction.

This is the first game that I can honestly say that the Sioux dominated. Yes, one unlucky rebound cost them the game in OT, but blaming JPar is far from realistic.

It was an unlucky bounce off his pads as he was moving across the crease.

And, no, there were no weak goals in this game. Defensive collapses, yes, but weak goals? Not really.

Is JPar not the answer? Uh, if the defense leaves him out to dry too much, Lammy won't be either.

Folks, let's put it this way: If Curtis McElhinney wasn't playing as well as he did tonight, we would have won like 5-2 in regulation. He literally kept the Tigers in the game.

As for our passing, we started out very slow, but our passing got better entering the 2nd period.

One thing is for certain: We stayed out of the box for the most part. A VERY well played game in that regard. This game was disappointing because tommorrow is now a must win situation to maintain some respectability early on. I didn't think much of the Sioux during the Saturday Gopher collapse or during parts of our weekend out east, but I think if we can just keep maintaining the pressure we did today, I think we could pull it out.

And I thought Bina's scoring chance was amazing. I really wish it would have gone in. :silly:

And the unbelieveable call of the game was the noncall on Petiot (#5) when he cross checked Genoway into the crossbar. It looked like a penalty to me. Other than that, there were noncalls on both sides, but Zelkin seemed a lot better than what we usually get.

Personally, I'm not too worried about this team. We have played, by far, the toughest schedule of anybody in the nation so far, and we have still won more games than we have lost. Also, it's only November. Everybody knew (or should have known) that this team would need some time to gel this season. I'd rather float beneath the radar a bit for the first half of the season and gradually get better, as opposed to other seasons where we've been locked in at #1 or #2 in the nation for the first half, only to fade away when the playoffs approached.

As for tonight's game, this could have very easily been a victory. The power play in the first period had one scoring chance after another. Also, we did a good job of staying out of the penalty box. I thought that was encouraging.

I do have to wonder a bit about Jordan being the #1 guy right now. At this point, I would be in favor of throwing Phil in there a few games in a row and see how he does. Who knows, maybe he's the next Goehring. The season is young. Let's find out.

The sioux dominated that game. I think the shots were 35-18 at the end or something. Those last two goals Parise should have had period. Tough loss. Mcmahon is showing how he got his letter, he was one of the hardest working players out there and had one of the nicest goals ive seen in a while.

Personally, I'm not too worried about this team.  We have played, by far, the toughest schedule of anybody in the nation so far, and we have still won more games than we have lost.  Also, it's only November.  Everybody knew (or should have known) that this team would need some time to gel this season.  I'd rather float beneath the radar a bit for the first half of the season and gradually get better, as opposed to other seasons where we've been locked in at #1 or #2 in the nation for the first half, only to fade away when the playoffs approached.

As for tonight's game, this could have very easily been a victory.  The power play in the first period had one scoring chance after another.  Also, we did a good job of staying out of the penalty box.  I thought that was encouraging.

I do have to wonder a bit about Jordan being the #1 guy right now.  At this point, I would be in favor of throwing Phil in there a few games in a row and see how he does.  Who knows, maybe he's the next Goehring.  The season is young.  Let's find out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is all true but we must remember we are not every other team. Our tradition is way to strong to talk about it being only November we need top performance in game 1. I watch the games and I don't even know where to start. We have excellent players, and yes a new coaching staff but that shouldn't change it this drastically. Why can't we just get on the ice and play Sioux hockey? We have all the elements.

I like the positive attitude, maybe we are just floating under the radar right now and will lock it in to place at the end of the season. I just hate to see us lose so much right now. Either way I'm still a fan.

... we must remember we are not every other team. Our tradition is way to strong to talk about it being only November we need top performance in game 1. I watch the games and I don't even know where to start. We have excellent players, and yes a new coaching staff but that shouldn't change it this drastically. Why can't we just get on the ice and play Sioux hockey? We have all the elements.

I like the positive attitude, maybe we are just floating under the radar right now and will lock it in to place at the end of the season. I just hate to see us lose so much right now. Either way I'm still a fan.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is exactly what I've been saying so far this season. I'll always be a fan. However, the team needs righting. They are just not getting it done like they should be so far.

In '01-02, they had an excuse. Then, the Sioux played 10 or 11 freshmen per game.

This year, they've got 10 upperclassmen per game. Sorry, but there is no excuse for not playing well.

That said, I saw the 1st period tonight and thought UND looked very good. I had to leave before there was any score, but from what I saw there was no way I thought UND would lose tonight.

So, tomorrow night should be a great gut-check. This team needs to put a complete game together soon, or risk falling apart and giving up on the season.

We've got the coaches, experience, and talent to get it done. lately, they just can't seem to close out a game, even when they are playing pretty well.

I appologize for offending anyone, but seriously folks... 3 or 4 losses is not a cause for giving up on the season!!!

If they can begin to play consistently like they played tonight, things will turn around for folks who have a poll addiction...**hehe :angry:;):silly:

Also, it's not fair to let tradition dictate level of play. I agree that there is no excuse for lack of effort or stupidity on the ice, but there's a limit to expectations now...we know that. Surprisingly, I like our position now much better than in previous years. Take our shots and adversity now, this will be a strong team by the end of the year. Use these experiences to motivate us toward the playoffs. In '01 they didn't have a chance to do it on a national level. If they work hard, and put in team efforts every week they have the talent to take revenge on certain a 6-0 loss or even a 5-3 loss that was mostly a domination by one eastern team, when it counts the most.

Like Rory McMahon said tonight...It was a team loss, there are 20 guys in the locker room tonight that took that loss, not just one guy.

That's the type of leadership we want, the type that everyone can get on board with. Coaching can only do so much, and I'm confident that our leaders will emerge.

4-1 tomorrow night UND's way...

This is the first game that I can honestly say that the Sioux dominated. Yes, one unlucky rebound cost them the game in OT, but blaming JPar is far from realistic.

It was an unlucky bounce off his pads as he was moving across the crease.

And, no, there were no weak goals in this game. Defensive collapses, yes, but weak goals? Not really.

Is JPar not the answer? Uh, if the defense leaves him out to dry too much, Lammy won't be either.

Are you kidding me? Were you at the game last night? Parise was fighting the puck all night. All 3 goals should have been stopped, especially the 2nd and 3rd which resulted from rebounds. On the 1st, he overskated the puck and got handcuffed. He also had one trickle through his pads that Bina saved, and another disallowed because there was a man in the crease. We will not win many close games with goaltending like that. Even Tim Hennessy and his new partner said on the radio after the game that Jordan gave up 3 soft goals, and Hakstol agreed that he did not have a good night. Parise is now 2-3-1, and did not play well against Minnesota or CC. It is time to either give Brandt a chance (his reward for winning 3-1 in Maine is not dressing) or going with Lamoureaux. Parise is not the answer and Zach is gone so we don't need to play him any more.

Are you kidding me? Were you at the game last night? Parise was fighting the puck all night. All 3 goals should have been stopped, especially the 2nd and 3rd which resulted from rebounds. On the 1st, he overskated the puck and got handcuffed. He also had one trickle through his pads that Bina saved, and another disallowed because there was a man in the crease. We will not win many close games with goaltending like that. Even Tim Hennessy and his new partner said on the radio after the game that Jordan gave up 3 soft goals, and Hakstol agreed that he did not have a good night. Parise is now 2-3-1, and did not play well against Minnesota or CC. It is time to either give Brandt a chance (his reward for winning 3-1 in Maine is not dressing) or going with Lamoureaux. Parise is not the answer and Zach is gone so we don't need to play him any more.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree that Parise was off last night. However, saying that Parise should not play anymore is just plain stupid. Parise flat out was the reason we split with the Gophers. Last night was the first time I got to watch the Sioux on TV and I thought they looked good and outplayed CC. They will be fine this year. Parise is a solid goalie and should stay part of the rotation. He will win a lot of games yet this year. However, I can't understand what the deal with Brandt is. The kid just goes out and wins games. I fully expect to see him in the net tonight and come up big for the Sioux.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No time for a big recap right now, but I was able to attend the game last night and I thought the Sioux played really well. I commented when the shots were 32-13 in the third that the game seemed quite a lot like the 6-0 MN game, with one team completely dominating the other. I also noted that the difference was the score was only 2-1 instead of 5-0. It's too bad things didn't quite go their way last night, and they made a few mistakes down the stretch that cost the game. But this was a completely different effort from the MN series. In the second MN game, the Sioux probably made 50 mistakes compared to the few last night. This looked like a team that has a chance to be very good later. Of course I'm disappointed with the result, but I'm encouraged by the play.

It's fair to note that Parise struggled last night; I agree with that. I think it's silly and insulting to suggest that he has played because Zach was here.

I think CC will play better than last night. I'm not sure UND can play much better than they did for most of last night, because they were mostly very good. Hopefully the hockey gods can start rewarding the effort.

Record vs CC is brutal.  I think they need to recruit more SO. MN kids...?

I can't believe it Northeastern and CC at home and no points....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would suggest you send a ringer goalie over 5'9" that can play.

I do have to wonder a bit about Jordan being the #1 guy right now.  At this point, I would be in favor of throwing Phil in there a few games in a row and see how he does.  Who knows, maybe he's the next Goehring.  The season is young.  Let's find out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to Coach Hakstol he is ahead of the other two goalies right now.

Who knows since practices are closed to the public.