SiouxSports.com Forum

Should Public Universities Behave Like Private...

jimdahl

Nov. 15 Business Week mentions reforms in the NDUS in an article, "Should Public Universities Behave Like Private Colleges?"

Relevant excerpt:

North Dakota has found a more comprehensive solution. Historically, the legislature micromanaged the 43,000-student university system. But in 2001, it scrapped moste [sic]controls, giving colleges lump sums that they could spend as they saw fit, plus complete pricing flexibility. In return, the universities agreed to meet accountability measures that include graduation rates, student retention, and economic benefits.

The result has been far more entrepreneurial behavior. Distance learning has increased, and research work has doubled at the two flagship schools, the University of North Dakota and North Dakota State. There's also a new emphasis on recruiting out-of-state students to offset an expected drop in North Dakota high school grads because of the declining population. "The university system is now viewed as a primary economic engine for the state," says University System Chancellor Robert Potts.

Still, North Dakota is an exception. In other states, the flagships often try to solve their problems with little regard for the rest of the state system. "Each of these decisions is being made piecemeal," worries Stanley O. Ikenberry, the former president of the University of Illinois. "What's absent is any national dialogue about what these changes will mean for America."

Nice to seem some national recognition for the improvements the NDUS has made the last few years. The increases in research grants and out-of-state enrollments at UND and NDSU have been phenomenal.

Except for North Dakota and North Dakota State,are there any other public universities in the state? As far as all that research money pouring in, I think that is fine as long as the schools remember they are there to give students a well-rounded education in many areas, and they should not become trade/tech schools for industry.--In my mind, that is what company training programs and community colleges are for.

Except for North Dakota and North Dakota State,are there any other public universities in the state? As far as all that research money pouring in, I think that is fine as long as the schools remember they are there to give students a well-rounded education in many areas, and they should not become trade/tech schools for industry.--In my mind, that is what company training programs and community colleges are for.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

off the top of my head

Valley City State

Mayville State

Dickinson State

Minot State- all 4 yr public schools

it is also nice to see that Business week recognizes that ND has two "flagship schools" :silly:

The NDUS has done well, the only thing that makes me uneasy is all the "distance learning" that is out there. This is not an issue with just the NDUS, but it is something that many schools are involved with. So, for those of you that have Masters degrees earned on a campus.....do you think you get as good of a degree via the internet? My answer is a resounding NO! I don't see how this distance learning is remotely as effective as being on campus working on your degree.

It is turning our universities into diploma mills.

The biggest issue I find with trying to emphasize research so much, is that the professors start focusing on their research more than they do on their students' education.  This is a severe downfall in the system and causes many problems.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It can be a problem if the proper balance between teaching and research isn't achieved and maintained. When done right, teachers, students and the university can benefit tremendously.

• 2 weeks later...

Here at Utah the professors in my department do a very good job of balancing busy research activities and teaching. It just depends on the individual professor.

I had an unnamed professor at UND who would cancel 1/4 of his classes just because of out of class engagements that he had, with no attempt to reschedule. Instead of actually teaching us something he would give us busy work to do . I can honestly say i didn't learn much in either of the two classes i took from him.