SiouxSports.com Forum

UNC

SIOUXFAN97

Would North Carolina accept a Big 10 invite with no exit fees?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Would UNC go to the Big 10 if no penalty?

• yes
    • no

I'd guess Virginia or Missouri would be offered before the Heels. 

And it'd make more sense for the Cavs as they'd have Maryland next door, and Missou fits right with Iowa, Illinois, and Nebraska. 

As much as they don't want to admit it, UNC is tied to Duke, Wake, and NCSU. 

15 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

yeah...haven't done a poll before...it says north carolina in the dark green...you can barely see it

I really do not think they would leave the ACC. I guess I would consider the ACC a better conference than the B1G10. I guess I would argue for or against it... I think it really depends on the sport as well.

I don't think UNC would do any better or worse than their most recent run in the ACC in the B1G 10. Both conferences have a couple big programs and the rest are sort of duds.

10 minutes ago, FightingSU said:

I guess I would consider the ACC a better conference than the B1G10.

Based on what?

Definitely not media deal which pays about 55% of the B1G.
Might have a slight edge in academics but its pretty close.
I would assume the B1G also leads in research activity just based on the schools in each conference.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'd guess Virginia or Missouri would be offered before the Heels. 

And it'd make more sense for the Cavs as they'd have Maryland next door, and Missou fits right with Iowa, Illinois, and Nebraska. 

As much as they don't want to admit it, UNC is tied to Duke, Wake, and NCSU. 

imo...if the commish of the Big10 called any AAU school east of the mississippi and offered full membership with no penalty coming or going....the answer is a "hell yeah!"....not "can we bring Duke with?"

18 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Then Kansas is non-contiguous 

yeah... a little short on that last post...getting kansas is easy....getting nc and virginia should be easy but also getting missouri....do you really leave the SEC or is that big 10 money and prestige and aau worth it...i think that's an easy choice for missouri plus they and kansas can bury the hatchet and be friends again in the big 10

OK, while I appreciate your perspective, I have one more shot across the bow (had to look that one up and make sure it isn’t spelled bough :blush:)…

If the B1G 14 loses 1 (Nebraska) and adds 4 (UVA, UNC, UM and KU), that puts the B1G at 17. Again, it’s a no go from the conference perspective. They might eventually go 16, but really doubt they go 17 (or 18 if their dream of Notre Dame finally comes through).

i would say the B1G stays at 14 and Nebraska is safe, at least for this round of realignment.

However, to return to your original question… imho , no, UNC would not jump to join the B1G. They are happy surrounded by their rivals in the ACC. After all, it’s Duke, Wake Forest, NC State, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Virginia, VA Tech. Very comfortable and mostly stable.

9 hours ago, zonadub said:

However, to return to your original question… imho , no, UNC would not jump to join the B1G. They are happy surrounded by their rivals in the ACC. After all, it’s Duke, Wake Forest, NC State, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Virginia, VA Tech. Very comfortable and mostly stable.

If you could peel one off that group, it's Virginia, given its proximity to Maryland. 

here's my big10 in the near future (much quicker if the ACC wasn't holding their schools hostage with huge huge fines)

north carolina

maryland

michigan

michigan state

ohio state

penn state

rutgers

virginia

and 

illinois

indiana

iowa

minnesota

missouri

northwestern

purdue

wisconsin

On 2/2/2022 at 11:16 PM, zonadub said:

OK, while I appreciate your perspective, I have one more shot across the bow (had to look that one up and make sure it isn’t spelled bough :blush:)…

If the B1G 14 loses 1 (Nebraska) and adds 4 (UVA, UNC, UM and KU), that puts the B1G at 17. Again, it’s a no go from the conference perspective. They might eventually go 16, but really doubt they go 17 (or 18 if their dream of Notre Dame finally comes through).

i would say the B1G stays at 14 and Nebraska is safe, at least for this round of realignment.

i think the only thing holding the ACC together are the fines...remember..Maryland paid over 50 million dollars in fines to LEAVE the ACC....

do UNC and Virginia each pay 150 million to leave the ACC soon?