SiouxSports.com Forum

UM @ UND (Saturday)

U2Bad1

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not excuse-making, just trying to figure out what's going on. I honestly don't think the Sioux know how to play the game with the new officiating system. Woog keeps noting (correctly) guys not picking up their man on defense, and I think it is because they are just tentative on defense, trying not to pick up the penalty. I'm sure they were notified after Friday night to stay out of the box, and I think they are just bewildered right now. Greene sounded that way on the radio before the game. Say what you want about needing to suck it up and play by the rules, but you are asking the guys to change the way they have been taught to play for fifteen years. This is an adjustment period, and I'm pretty sure they won't stink all year. They just need to get through it.

I started to see a bit of Radke's offensive talent and I'm excited to see him play more. Porter was the only Sioux forward who seemed to play well every shift tonight. Spirko had his moments. Murray was mostly MIA, and Stafford was completely absent.

Tough weekend coming next week, with the way they are playing now.

I don't understand why the game was called differently again?  The Gophers were getting away with a lot of clutch and grab stuff.  It didn't really matter since UND didn't show up, like they didn't in Mankato.  Did UND hire the wrong coach?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The funny thing is, I was listening to the Gophers feed, and they were complaining about all the penalties called against them, and how if it was a Sioux they wouldn't have called it, but since they were down they were just giving them power plays. I think that's a totally ridiculous call, considering the way the Gophers play.

Not excuse-making, just trying to figure out what's going on.  I honestly don't think the Sioux know how to play the game with the new officiating system.  Woog keeps noting (correctly) guys not picking up their man on defense, and I think it is because they are just tentative on defense, trying not to pick up the penalty.  I'm sure they were notified after Friday night to stay out of the box, and I think they are just bewildered right now.  Greene sounded that way on the radio before the game.  Say what you want about needing to suck it up and play by the rules, but you are asking the guys to change the way they have been taught to play for fifteen years.  This is an adjustment period, and I'm pretty sure they won't stink all year.  They just need to get through it.

I started to see a bit of Radke's offensive talent and I'm excited to see him play more.  Porter was the only Sioux forward who seemed to play well every shift tonight.  Spirko had his moments.  Murray was mostly MIA, and Stafford was completely absent.

Tough weekend coming next week, with the way they are playing now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very nice recap, I was just going to make a similar post. Greene looked very timid out there, clearly he was backing off trying to not get called. They will have to work to find a happy medium. Radke did start to look good offensively. The biggest surprise IMO is Stafford. He looked so good against Manitoba, then went MIA. I still expect him and Murray to get it together, sometimes it takes a while for players to gel, remember they've only been practicing for three weeks.

Pulling Parise may have been a good idea, but none of those goals were soft, he still played very well in the 1st, it really could have been 5 or 6 - 0 after 1. The Sioux have the talent, they just need to start playing together. Clearly MN played better both games, but I would argue the talent level was pretty equal.

On the other hand the Gophers look very good, especially for the # of Freshmen they have. Gogliski and Hagemo look very good. Potulny should compete for the scoring lead in the WCHA.

The funny thing is, I was listening to the Gophers feed, and they were complaining about all the penalties called against them, and how if it was a Sioux they wouldn't have called it, but since they were down they were just giving them power plays. I think that's a totally ridiculous call, considering the way the Gophers play.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly how do the Gophers play? Both teams carry quite a bit of skill and speed and to say the Gophers played more clutch and grab imho is a stretch of the imagination.

I liked what I saw from Porter as well as the obvious such as Zajac, Spirko, etc.

This game was very odd from a reffing standpoint. No consistency at all. I think that actually both sides got away with stuff.

Notes:

1. Our powerplay still stinks, but this time I can honestly say I've never seen a worse showing while a man up.

2. Passing- Usually on top of it, but today, we couldn't pass to save our soul until the last 9 minutes of the third period. Far too late.

3. Something isn't clicking in our defense as at least 3 of the Gopher's goals were soft. That being said, even if Brandt and JPar had stopped those shots from going in, we still would have lost 3-0.

4. The fight was nice, but I'd rather have had Canady do it than McMahon. We need Rory next week.

5. Expectations: During the second period I found myself actually being far too cynical against the Sioux. It is something I'm not proud of and I did a good job to shot the hell up during the third. That being said, I think we need to readjust our expectations for this team.

6. Offense. I wasn't concerned about shot totals until tonight. I thought it was natural for the team benefitting from all the penalties to benefit in the shot total department as well. With only 10 penalties called in the entire game (combined), I noticed that we are getting far too miserly in our shooting. We're trying to be too pretty. Relying upon the cycling technique to produce chances. Though that may work, they need to mix it up. I've always thought (in my armchair coach sort of way) that it would be nice to slap it into the goaltender and then have someone rushing the net to look for a rebound if at all possible. Pepper the net and hopefully a bounce will go your way. For the entire first period, the scoreboard showed that the Gophers were outshooting us nearly 3 shots to 1. Sorry, I can live with losing to a team that outplayed us (like tonight) but I can't live with losing to a team because we never even tried to shoot the puck. We really only had 2 chances, both excellent saves by Briggs, both deep in the 3rd period.

Lastly (for now), I think we need to give props to Ryan Potulny, Don Lucia, and Kellen Briggs for an astounding performance over the weekend, even if Briggs didn't deserve it Friday.

I am curious as to where we stand now? BC lost either earlier today or yesterday (to my knowledge) and we split. Still too early, but we play BC next week and I hope we can resolve our issues before Friday night.

This game was very odd from a reffing standpoint.  No consistency at all.  I think that actually both sides got away with stuff.

Notes:

1.  Our powerplay still stinks, but this time I can honestly say I've never seen a worse showing while a man up.

2.  Passing-  Usually on top of it, but today, we couldn't pass to save our soul until the last 9 minutes of the third period.  Far too late.

3.  Something isn't clicking in our defense as at least 3 of the Gopher's goals were soft.  That being said, even if Brandt and JPar had stopped those shots from going in, we still would have lost 3-0.

4.  The fight was nice, but I'd rather have had Canady do it than McMahon.  We need Rory next week.

5.  Expectations:  During the second period I found myself actually being far too cynical against the Sioux.  It is something I'm not proud of and I did a good job to shot the hell up during the third.  That being said, I think we need to readjust our expectations for this team.

6.  Offense.  I wasn't concerned about shot totals until tonight.  I thought it was natural for the team benefitting from all the penalties to benefit in the shot total department as well.  With only 10 penalties called in the entire game (combined), I noticed that we are getting far too miserly in our shooting.  We're trying to be too pretty.  Relying upon the cycling technique to produce chances.  Though that may work, they need to mix it up.  I've always thought (in my armchair coach sort of way) that it would be nice to slap it into the goaltender and then have someone rushing the net to look for a rebound if at all possible.  Pepper the net and hopefully a bounce will go your way.  For the entire first period, the scoreboard showed that the Gophers were outshooting us nearly 3 shots to 1.  Sorry, I can live with losing to a team that outplayed us (like tonight) but I can't live with losing to a team because we never even tried to shoot the puck.  We really only had 2 chances, both excellent saves by Briggs, both deep in the 3rd period.

Lastly (for now), I think we need to give props to Ryan Potulny, Don Lucia, and Kellen Briggs for an astounding performance over the weekend, even if Briggs didn't deserve it Friday.

I am curious as to where we stand now?  BC lost either earlier today or yesterday (to my knowledge) and we split.  Still too early, but we play BC next week and I hope we can resolve our issues before Friday night.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At this point and time two things are clear. UND is way over-ranked and Minnesota is way under-ranked. At this point in the season, Minnesota is a far superior team. Far superior. They skate and pass as well as any team in the country. Granted there will be a natrual let down after a big win. But when defensemen can't even make a pass in the nuetral zone, much less skate it out is very concerning. It was very evident tonigh that the Minnesota sticks are so much faster then ours. The two North Dakota boys are clearly their best players on the team. I don't like our chances next weekend unless the Sioux's style of play changes from defensive to offensive within the week ahead. Also keep Radke in there and start Lamaroux!

I think it's too early for fans of either team to get too excited. While this weekend gives me hope the Gophers can perhaps do better than I expected (3rd-5th in the WCHA) there's far too much hockey to be played. UND lost some key players from last year and it may take some time to find their replacements. Remember how poorly Minnesota started last season and they were only one game from the Frozen Four. I still think UND will be a team to be reckoned with come March, although I have to admit it was fun watching the Gophers finally lay a smack down on the Sioux. :lol:

Gophers look like they are in midseason form and the Sioux are still searching for

a spark. Let's face it, lucky to get two points this weekend, lucky to get out of Mankato with points and really things need to gel on the offense of this will be a long and humbling season for the Sioux!

I would not want to be a player next week in practice. I am pretty sure that UND is going to have some intense practices. If I was the coach I would had them out doing Herbies after the game. Send them, Again, send them again. The effort tonight was lack luster.

I would not want to be a player next week in practice. I am pretty sure that UND is going to have some intense practices. If I was the coach I would had them out doing Herbies after the game. Send them, Again, send them again. The effort tonight was lack luster.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With a showing as bad as Saturday, I would hope the coaches are fuming. There is no excuse. This team is experienced.

I'll apologize in advance, because I'm pretty mad about tonight's flop. However, if I were coach for a night, I might break out the "There are 20 guys in the USHL who would be happy to replace your sorry butts" speech right about now.

Did anyone else notice that Brandt seemed to be injured after that collision in the second period? He seemed to be greatly favoring his right leg for the entire game afterwards, and none of the coaches seemed to notice at all. To me it seemed pretty darn obvious that he was hurting. That last Irmen goal, he couldn't push off going to his left at all....Just wodering if anyone else there noticed the same thing....anyone?

Appears the Sioux found a way to stay out of the box defensively; leave at least 10 feet of space between yourself and the opponent you'd really like to check. Doesn't work well.

Would guess there was more contact in the women's game.

Did anyone else notice that Brandt seemed to be injured after that collision in the second period? He seemed to be greatly favoring his right leg for the entire game afterwards, and none of the coaches seemed to notice at all. To me it seemed pretty darn obvious that he was hurting. That last Irmen goal, he couldn't push off going to his left at all....Just wodering if anyone else there noticed the same thing....anyone?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I noticed it too. Brandt look like he pulled a leg muscle.

I was interested in a couple of radio comments by Sioux players interviewed by Tim Hennesy between periods of recent games. Hennesy asked if there was any difference in the coaching style of Blais and Hakstol. Both players (Fabian and ?) said the team likes the structured practices of Hakstol compared to Dean's free wheeling style. This team shouldn't have to be structured with the talent they have. Can't help but wonder if they aren't trying to hard to have everything perfect. Murphy, Stafford, Fylling, Schneider, McMahon, these guys play best when they open up and skate. You can't argue with success and Blais had it. Hope Hakstol isn't going to try and change everything. If so, it will be a long season.