U2Bad1

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Postgame comments typed on the fly:

Sioux got better as the game went on.

Stafford and Zajac 2G 2A each.

Tim says Hakstol said he thinks the NCAA really means to crackdown on obstruction. We saw it tonite.

3 PP goals for the Sioux tonite. Tim says with lack of practice time must have been individual talent not systems.

Hak says:

More good than ugly. Plenty of ugly.

Sioux scrambling first 7-8 minutes of the game but it got better.

Good natural hockey sense plays being made out on the PP.

Zajac worked hard tonite. Didn't play like a freshman. Made strong plays on the puck. Saw some chemistry between Stafford and Zajac.

Amazed at a goal by Stafford. Couldn't understand what he was doing with the puck until he saw him score.

Spirko did well. Needs to settle in a bit. Had lots of things "almost" happen. Will come in time.

Stafford up next:

Says both he and Zajac like to share the puck. They communicate well on the ice.

Maine will be a huge test.

Greg Lotysz, former Sioux football player did the color commentary with Tim Hennessy. I interviewed Mike Commodore and Andy Murray between periods.

The interview with Mike didn't go too well because I had four knobs to turn and messed up. ???:huh: The Andy Murray interview seemed to go better.

It was great being able to interview two pros my first time out.

Just back home after watching the boys in action. A few observations:

Stafford and Zajack were (obviously) really clicking tonight. But Spirko might make some people feel a little better about ZPar leaving. This young man can skate, and has a pretty good nose for the puck. He had several "almosts" and was mixing things up both on offense and on the backcheck.

Porter skated well; Rory was everywhere early. Brady went to the bench at one point in the second, I think, with what looked like a gimpy hand or wrist. I think he missed a shift. But he came back to finish the game well.

Brandt didn't look as bad as his stats will show; he was hung out to dry by really sloppy play in front of him on the shorthanders. The kid that scored all three Manitoba goals is the real deal.

Nice to see both Andy and Nick get goals. Schneiders you could almost feel building as he skated the entire length of the rink and simply muscled through the whole Manitoba team. He was reaching soooo far, and looked like he was either going to lose the puck, or lose his skates, I was surprised he got so much on the shot when he went top shelf.

Play at the end got very chippy along the boards. I thought both Matts were going to go postal on Manitoba guys. The crowd was getting ready for another Thrilla in Manilla before Greene got 4 minutes with a little under 3 left.

I've never seen Lamoureaux play before tonight; he's impressive for a youngster. I actually told my wife I was feeling less nervous when the puck was in front of him than I am when Jake's in the net. He is very comfortable between the pipes. I'm impressed.

Kaip and Radke both showed some glimpses of what I'm expecting of them. Radke looks a little small compared to Jones and Greene, but he's fearless.

This didn't really look like a first game; most passes were crisp. They played, largely, good positionally. Toward the end of the game the talent differential between the teams got quite evident.

While this game is really meaningless, and is probably not a good indication of where this team really is against world-class competition, I'm feeling pretty good tonight. I think their going to be just fine, on both ends of the ice. We knew the defensemen are superb; after watching tonight, I'm betting the over every night.

I'm really impressed with Zajac and here's why:

Everyone was worried about ZPar's leaving and how it would affect team chemistry on the ice both offensively and defensively. Zajac seems to have that same ability ZPar had with 2 way play, even if he isn't as fast or as flashy.

Early in the game he SINGLE HANDEDLY killed off nearly a minute of the powerplay through forechecking and positioning... it may have been the last 40 seconds of a penalty. Unreal. His goals were great shots as well.

If this guy produces against tougher opponents, then we'll be fine.

I liked Stafford's play as well. Really gritty, yet I am a little concerned with the fact that he seemed to go down in the corners much easier than last season. However, his goal that was top shelf and backhanded was the play of the game.

Lammy was as advertised and looked sharp. I'm still going to be nervous when we go to Maine, but I think we'll be fine. We just won't be as flashy this season.

Greg Lotysz, former Sioux football player did the color commentary with Tim Hennessy. I interviewed Mike Commodore and Andy Murray between periods.

The interview with Mike didn't go too well because I had four knobs to turn and messed up. ???:huh: The Andy Murray interview seemed to go better.

It was great being able to interview two pros my first time out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was wondering who the new guy was. You did a nice job Pat.

Stafford was easily the best player on the ice. That move he made on his backhand goal would easily make ESPN's top 10 if it was in the NHL. I see him leading the Sioux in scoring this year, especially if he continues to play with Zajac.

Zajac didn't look like a freshman at all. He was all over the ice, he backchecked hard and made some nice defensive plays. He was also a huge offensive threat, he has a great shot, very quick release like BB.

Lammy looked good, he is much more athletic than Brandt or JP. He is very quick, but seemed to pull himself out of position a few times.

Kaip is a lot like Porter, but he is more of a defensive player. I could see him on the PK a lot this year.

Spirko is very small and very fast. He had some chances last night. He was out of position a lot and didn't seem as comfortable as Zajac, which I think is normal. He could put up some good numbers this year.

Radke hardly played at all. He looked pretty lost out there most of the time. You can tell he is a very good skater though. He really didn't play enough for me to get much of an opinion. It looks like he will take a little time to develop, as most freshman do.

The PP didn't look good, Hak used the same system as last year. Sending a suckhole out like that does nothing for the PP, I don't understand why coaches do it. ??? IMO it lead to the shorthanded goal. That and the fact a forward was at the point. I was hoping to see Radke spend some time on the PP, but he obviously wasn't ready. After a week of practices I imagine things will change.

The players listed on the roster that didn't dress were: Marvin, Bina, Prpich, Parise and Foyt.

The players listed on the roster that didn't dress were: Marvin, Bina, Prpich, Parise and Foyt.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I swore I saw Bina on the ice.

Radke didn't play much, and that's sad, because if there was ever a time where a freshmancould get his game skates under him, it would have been an exhibition game. Learning on the ice against Maine... or Minnesota even is not the way to do it.

And jloos, 2 of their three goals came on the penalty kill. At one time, most of their shots were while shorthanded. That's unacceptable. In my "idealistic" mind, shorthanded goals against you would be almost as rare as penalty shots. When you ask your goaltender "What is the most boring part of the game?" He should replay "Our powerplay."

So, again, this year's problem is the same as last year's: special teams

EDIT: Ok, instead of double posting, I'm just going to add to this one. Some nonhockey things I noticed at the Ralph:

1. What the hell was with the banner unveiling? Only an idiot would have unveiled a banner at an exhibition game. You put it off two weeks and you unveil it against MINNESOTA. COMON! Dumb, really Dumb.

2. The player intro pictures on the jumbotron HAVE to go. I'm sorry, we aren't Survivor. Very low brow, very dumb. Also, the scrolling thing screws up the announcing. So no meshing between Hennan and the visuals. Not good.

3. Andy Schneider needs to shave.

4. An ok turnout by the people who got our seats, however, the further away from the ice on the lower bowl, the less people cheered. Viva la idiots. Yes, I know it was Manitoba, but still.

5. THEY SHOULD HAVE PUT THE @#$%ING FOOTBALL GAME ON THE JUMBOTRON BETWEEN PERIODS!!!!!!

Edited by redwing77

I heard that Pirp might be out for 4-6 weeks with a shoulder injury that he sustained in a freak squating accident in the weight room.  I was talking to jake "the snake" brandt in the union and he was the one that informed me of this.  i just tell it like i hear it. ???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think giving up shorties will be a problem this year. Both of the SHG's were scored in the first period, when they were asleep. In the second and third periods they were much better.

It's way too early to start complaining about special teams, especially when the team hasn't even had one full practice with the new coaching staff. Even though the Sioux did give up two shorthanders, they were 3-8 on the power play, 0-7 on the penalty kill and scored two shorthanders themselves.

Has anyone mentioned the obscenities being shouted during the moment of silence for Wendy Blais? They seemed to be coming from the student section. Very low class, IMO.

Has anyone mentioned the obscenities being shouted during the moment of silence for Wendy Blais? They seemed to be coming from the student section. Very low class, IMO.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was ready to go down there and kick those clown's a$$es myself. They were in Section 108, row A, seats 12-15(or whatever the four are closest to the penalty box). They wouldn't shut up. ???

It's way too early to start complaining about special teams, especially when the team hasn't even had one full practice with the new coaching staff. Even though the Sioux did give up two shorthanders, they were 3-8 on the power play, 0-7 on the penalty kill and scored two shorthanders themselves.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was up in 308. If I had been in 108 like last year someone would have gotten a swift kick in the ass. It was very very low class. This is why stupid freshman shouldn't have been allowed to get lower bowl seats ???

As for the PP, that is something that likely isn't practiced much during captains practice. I'm sure Hakstol will spend a lot of time this week on special teams. There had to have been some sort of single game record for shorthanded goals last night, I believe each team had 2, or did the Sioux have 3? It was hard to keep track considering it was rarely 5 on 5.

Couple things I noticed:

Staffords goal was absolutely amazing. My friends and I just sat there for a couple seconds before celebrating, because we weren't sure if that play had just happened.

Zajac and Stafford have some awesome communication on the ice. Throw anyone on that line with them and they could be the top scoring line in the WCHA if not the country.

Radke looked tentative a bit, so did Lammy. I thought he had trouble with his first couple saves, not being able to find the puck. He wasn't really ever challenged a lot. I wish Manitoba would have had a 2 on 0, just so Lammy could get some good experience in net.

The two student sections are pretty divided again. 108 is a lot better at cheering together, however they have some idiots. In 109, where i sit, there are about 10-15 die-hards all in a cluster of three rows, so we pretty much carry the section. However, in front of us there were 8 seats open, two to the side of us, and a couple rows down there were 6 freshmen girls who clapped once during the entire game. Of course, they weren't there for most of the first period, so you could imagine they would have clapped at least once more had they been there on time. ???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen to that. Just as it is too early to complain about the powerplay and sloppy play, it is also too early to draw premature conclusions. Virg Foss implied in today's Herald that the Sioux have already answered the questions about losing Bochenski and Parise. One game against inferior competition is hardly a barometer. I will agree that there are positive signs that the Sioux can minimize the loss of the two, but to suggest that freshmen will replace them is not wise. They can very well put up big numbers, but there are things that you learn in the WCHA that can only be learned through game experience. My hope for the Sioux is that they tackle the loss of the two by becoming more of a team and getting more production throughout the lineup and not leaning on one line in key games. The Sioux had decent support from other lines last year, but seemed to rely on the top line in critical situations. Hopefully each line will take it upon themselves to be the difference-maker this year.

A couple things that haven't been mentioned yet:

Considering that we play 6 important road games in the first 8, I was pleased to see the forward lines set up for balance ... saw that late last year when Blais split Bo and Zach for road games but played them toghether when we had last change.

Bet money we see Murray with Stafford and Zajac at some point in the year.

Even so, I liked the Porter-Spirko-Murray combo. Looks like the coaches found 2 guys who can keep up with Brady's high tempo. Porter seems faster than last year ... offseason powerskating (or a bad memory on my part?).

Disappointed in some of the veteran forwards ... who were mostly invisible. Also in numerous multiple mental errors ... things they should know by now ... like don't try a drop pass when in traffic (led to a couple of MB's 2-on-1's).

On the other hand, the veteran D looked fine after the first 10 minutes. That will be the strength of the team, barring multiple injuries. I am NOT surprised we didn't see a lot of Radke; D is a harder position to learn than F. He showed signs of raw talent, but made a couple obvious mistakes.

Jake looked soft on the second goal, went down way too early.

I'd like to see us use 2 defensemen on the powerplay, for the first month at least while we work the bugs out of the powerplay.