SiouxSports.com Forum

walk on

political science

I heard that Moreland made the team - any truth to that??

I also heard he was unable to participate in dry land training, captian scrimmages or anything else because of an injury for the last month- any truth to that?

If all of that is true, how did he make the team - political connections? Name alone? (which would also be political). Coaches saw something?:)? A hunch??

How can they keep a kid that they haven't been able to see for 4 weeks?;)

Also heard he was about the least ready for DI hockey of all walk-ons.

Do the Sioux have that much talent that they can afford to wait on him now?

Jesse Lindenberg - what was his final status? A lot of talent there and some smarts to go with it.

Drew Sando - may have the most pure talent of all walk-ons. Heard he didn't make it. What is up?;)??

HMMMM! Looks like the kid from Grand Forks made it and the two from Grafton didn't. Anything goes I guess. YOU VOTE.

Looking at the names mentioned here:

Sando: His best USHL campaign was 26 points. Lee Marvin's best was 17 points. Of course, Lee played defense and Drew played forward. Lee has trouble making the lineup at either position.

Lindenberg: His best USHL campaign was 11 points. Scott Foyt, who can't break the lineup at defense, had 8 points in just 31 games at defense in the USHL (before being traded to an AWHL team that year).

Moreland: He has only played 9 USHL games (according to HockeyDB.com). That's not a full season sample to compare to.

Now, USHL success clearly doesn't predict future success; however, it tends to be a good indicator.

My questions are this:

Did they skate this summer? Where? With whom?

Have any reached full potential already?

Do any have untapped potential ready to be developed?

How did I know this would be a whiner from Grafton? Good Lord, the inferioirty complex you clowns have with Grand Forks hockey is pathetic. My dad work is Grafton. He came home last night andtold me stories of this exact same thing. People whining about how Sando got screwed and that Moreland sucks.

Josh Hansen of Austin, MN Green Bay Gamblers and River City Lancers also was a walkon with better credentials and I am told played pretty well. He worked his tail off and was let go in favor of the Grand Forks native with only HS experience. I guess it may be better down the road for Josh. I am glad he gave it a try.

I know he is better than all of em with the possible exception of Sando. I was told that they would be keeping one or two walkons and that Josh would get a fair shot.

So much for that.

How did I know this would be a whiner from Grafton?  Good Lord, the inferioirty complex you clowns have with Grand Forks hockey is pathetic.  My dad work is Grafton.  He came home last night andtold  me stories of this exact same thing.  People whining about how Sando got screwed and that Moreland sucks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't get so worked up. I never said anything about Moreland not having hockey skills. You don't get a crack at the Sioux unless you have the skills.

I was just wondering how things transpire to get to the point of any walk-on making the team.

The only walk-ons I knew about were Moreland, Sando, Lindenberg and Bye. So I just asked. Seems like an honest question.

Seems like you are the one with a complex by assuming the comments started in Grafton or Park River. I wouldn't know anything about comments being made up in Grafton or anywhere else for that matter.

If you don't understand the process then don't respond please. I was actually hoping someone knew how or why kids are kept or cut.

• 4 weeks later...
Pretty interesting comments since practice with the coaches isnt allowed until October 2.

Lemme guess, you are from Grafton?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You would be surprised at what many besides yourself actually know. Stats also do not always necessarily reflect the whole picture. If you knew the stories behind many choices made as some people do, and really know hockey, the comments mentioned would make perfect sense to you. :0

Pretty interesting comments since practice with the coaches isnt allowed until October 2.

Lemme guess, you are from Grafton?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not necessarily, I know where many of these questions arise from, and the truth, Grafton based or not, will probably only ever be known by a select few. The word political is used much too often, I don't ever want to see or start to see the smart-ass bickering that takes place between little people like (OK, I'm not going to start!) but I can tell you from many of the players and a couple of coaches that Sando is a great player and if not for unfortunate contact during a non-contact scrimmage he was looking good. And if you think that coaches don't know what's going on, there at practice-in the weight room-etc. you're nuts.

How did I know this would be a whiner from Grafton?  Good Lord, the inferioirty complex you clowns have with Grand Forks hockey is pathetic.  My dad work is Grafton.  He came home last night andtold  me stories of this exact same thing.  People whining about how Sando got screwed and that Moreland sucks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mr. Diggler, a small town hockey mentality should not be construed with an inferiority complex. I am not a clown, Sando was injured-not screwed, Moreland from what I hear is a decent kid who should have been in juniors for a minimum of one more year to develop the skills he has, and none of the people I just mentioned besides yourself, is pathetic. If your dad works in Grafton, I'm sure he is real glad you mentioned it. And if you are not done with university, maybe take English 101 over again (My dad work is Grafton??) Enough whining, ha ha.

You would be surprised at what many besides yourself actually know. Stats also do not always necessarily reflect the whole picture. If you knew the stories behind many choices made as some people do, and really know hockey, the comments mentioned would make perfect sense to you. :0

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Asking one more time, since you are in the know, how do walkons either make the team, or get cut, before there is a coach's practice?

Asking one more time, since you are in the know, how do walkons either make the team, or get cut, before there is a coach's practice?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know, my comments probably were not properly stated in that they implied that I was right there, "in the know". I am sure the captains practices help determine who is kept or not, and the coaches know what is going at all times. But I also have to say that I think what one person was referring to about how it was interesting that Moreland didn't practice or participate much in dryland or scrimmages (injury) shouldn't have been brought up as a GF/Grafton issue. It was more an issue of how could any real true evaluation take place in that circumstance. I don't ever want to knock one kid with obvious talent but some questions have been thrown out there as to why exactly he made it over others. I do know how many/most were told they were done, but only God will ever know the honest truth as to why exactly. Sometimes it seems much too easy to end the careers of many who probably are easily as good as half the players on the team. Many coaches and ex-linemates (some with full rides elsewhere), say without hesitation that the kids that were cut 100% for sure can play D-1 hockey almost anywhere. Sometimes the cuts can be based exclusively on injury, but, like to admit it or not, MANY times they are influenced by people who for the actual good of the team, should keep their *!?*!!* noses out of it, and should be ashamed of themselves, for their behind the scenes manipulation of the system is absolutely ridiculous. Sorry, I'm sure my rambling on doesn't really explain that much, but it gave me the time to express some of my thoughts. Thanks.

I have heard that Lamoreaux was actually a walk on. Im sure the coaches had talked to him., so maybe hes not a true walk on...but he isnt on scholarship...is he? Hakstol should have given him a crack last night...htat job was up for grabs more than ever..

So I was looking at my program for Friday night's game and the team photo has Matt Moreland and an unidentified player in the front row (who I am assuming was a walk on, too).  Any one out there know who he is?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The unnamed player is James Massen.

And if you are not done with university, maybe take English 101 over again (My dad work is Grafton??)  Enough whining, ha ha.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the tip. I mean, you're right, there is nothing more pitiful then not putting an s on the end of a word and lets not forget about not putting a space between and & total. That was a total digrace on my part. I'm lucky to have passed 3rd grade.

This is the scoop on the grafton walk-on's. Jesse suffered a server concussion when he was playing for Lincoln and still has some problems so he didn't even try to walk-on I don't think because he still gets really bad headaches and what ever else you get from a servers concussion. Drew was on the way to making the team I believe before he got a cheap shot put on him and screwed up his shoulder really bad. Tore ligements and crap. That is what I heard I heard from his great grandma. If the cheap shot is true perhaps it was moreland fearing he was going to loss his spot on walking on. Just a thought to all you Central or Red River people.

This is the scoop on the grafton walk-on's. Jesse suffered a server concussion when he was playing for Lincoln and still has some problems so he didn't even try to walk-on I don't think because he still gets really bad headaches and what ever else you get from a servers concussion.  Drew was on the way to making the team I believe before he got a cheap shot put on him and screwed up his shoulder really bad. Tore ligements and crap. That is what I heard I heard from his great grandma. If the cheap shot is true perhaps it was moreland fearing he was going to loss his spot on walking on. Just a thought to all you Central or Red River people.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did he steal his lunch money too? :silly::lol: