SiouxSports.com Forum

Bowenkamp

UND Fan

I have learned from a reliable source that Bowenkamp's injury may be more serious than first thought. The tear of a muscle under his throwing arm isn't healing well.

Does anyone know how many reps Manke is getting in practice compared with Belmore? I am curious how soon they may pull Belmore if he doesn't play well against St. Cloud.

You would think Manke is getting some decent reps in practice, even if for no other reason than he's just one hit away from being the starting quarterback. My understanding is that coming into pre-fall camp, Belmore and Manke were essentially in a dead heat for the number 2 quarterback job. Call it a gut feeling, but I kind of think Manke may be one of those guys who maybe isn't the prototype college quarterback, but who can rise to the occasion and get the job done in a game situation. I remember seeing him play in the 3A or 4A (or whatever division Detroit Lakes is in) title game a few years ago and I was really impressed with him. Also, according to the media guide he was a 4.0 student in h.s. so he's also apparently pretty intelligent.

If Bowenkamp's injury is more serious, does anyone know if Shad Carney is getting more of a look in practice? I thought he was suppose to be one of the top guys they brought in a few years back. He didn't get much time in some of the blowouts earlier this year. The few throws he made looked pretty good (one of his incompletions was flat-out dropped by the WR).

I saw Bowenkamp on the practice field today, and he was throwing passes to recievers. He looked okay to me, but maybe they just have him out there to keep the QB situation a mystery.....If its anybody but Bowenkamp I'm worried about the game this weekend.... :D

Lennon and Bowenkamp were interviewed in a segment on the WDAZ sports last night. It definitely sounded like Bowenkamp would not play. He said something about having aggravated the injury last week by trying to come back too soon. I'm starting to wonder if he'll return at all. I did think it was interesting that Lennon specifically also mentioned Manke's name. We'll probably know a little more after Lennon's radio show tonight, but I wouldn't be surprised if Belmore has a fairly short leash if he struggles early on Saturday. Perhaps the backup quarterback will the hero for the second year in a row against St. Cloud.

Although it may be true that Belmore has more game experience than Manke, what I have noticed is that Manke's QB skills are strikingly similar to a guy name Kelby. I'm not saying that he is up to that standard yet, but he throws a good ball, but when pressured he has the speed and more importantly the vision to find a gap and make something happen. Having played against DL in high school, though none of the Mankes, their offense relies of a mobile type QB, and you know that his dad, who played QB in his college career has had those boys throwing a football for a while, has taught them a little something. I think that Manke just needs a chance, he knows the game tremendously and is/ will be a big asset to Sioux football sometime in the hopefully near future.

Belmore has done nothing that impresses me expect for the one game. His throws are so inconsistent, and that is not what any football team needs.

As far as Carney, I have not ever seen him play, but the guy is 6'6" (or so) and from what I've heard is a drop back QB. I'm not sure what his chances of playing in the next 2 years though.

Regarding Bowenkamp......The word that I've gotten is that his shoulder injury is rather severe and that he seems to be recovering well, but once he gets back on the field the same old injury just keeps popping up. I don't like his chances for playing within the next month, for that reason. Also, what he has said is that the injury affects the "zip" passes. He can throw for distance pretty well with the injury, but to throw the drag route across the field, or something similar, he can't get it there as fast without hurting himself. Doesn't look good.

According to someone on the field everyday, Carney hasn't shown much initiative in moving up the QB ladder - too bad - at 6'6", he should be able to see the field VERY well. Dale has said JB is available on an emergency basis but it would be interesting to see if push came to shove who would take the field. After a so-so performance last week, we should find out a lot more about Belmore this week. Personally, I think he's up to it

• 3 weeks later...