SiouxSports.com Forum

CW

Smoggy

I see absolutely no problem with the fake punt. It isn't like the Sioux were trying to rub it in, they didn't even try to score. It seems to me they were trying to run the clock down while preserving a win and shutout. It is a huge boost to team moral when you can shut a team out for four quarters, and I think UND didn't want to give up a cheap TD and blow it. Their is also some possible coaching advantages from doing it, so I really don't see a problem.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The people that have noted that the fake punt was run to give future opponents something to think about are right on the money. UND has a freshman punter back there and showing future opponents a well run fake might make teams think twice about coming all out on the block. BTW, the fake was the exact same play the Sioux ran against UNA in the playoffs last year.

The CWU coach also said something to the effect that the UND defense "out-physicaled" their offense and the CWU defense did the same to the UND offense. What game was he watching? I don't consider 35 carries for 223 yards being outmuscled. :p

The CWU coach also said something to the effect that the UND defense "out-physicaled" their offense and the CWU defense did the same to the UND offense. What game was he watching? I don't consider 35 carries for 223 yards being outmuscled. :p

I read that quote with some amusement, also. I give them credit for not letting the Sioux just run over them between the tackles like I thought would probably happen, but that's small consolation when you give up well over 400 yards of total offense and 34 points.

I read that quote with some amusement, also. I give them credit for not letting the Sioux just run over them between the tackles like I thought would probably happen, but that's small consolation when you give up well over 400 yards of total offense and 34 points.

Obviously, CWU's game plan was to blitz alot between the tackles and take away the inside running game and try to rattle Belmore, but if you're going to play that much all out man coverage, you've got to have DBs that can cover better than that. Webber just plain made that one corner look awful on those two long plays.

I think if Bowenkamp would have been playing the offense would have gotten to them a lot quicker. I suspect he's got more freedom to audible and could have taken advantage of their blitzing and hit a big play earlier in the game.