SiouxSports.com Forum

Ziggy

Warthog

Now that there will be only two goaltenders on the roster next season, I wonder if we're going to keep it that way or if we will recruit another goalie?

You need to have three goalies to practice or if you have a goalie that gets hurt.

I think UND should go after the swede that loved Grand Forks so much, he, he, he.

Now I personally think UND need to go after a front line goalie next year one on par with the ability of a Al Montoya from Michigan. I think Blaiser handling of the goalies hurt us as far as landing one of them. I am pretty sure that Brandt isn't on the same level as an Al Montoya. Nor would I consider Brandt a goalie in the top teir of the NCAA. Maybe Parise and Phil are they still have room to grow.

As for this season, If I as Hack I would hand Brandt the Clip board show him his place on the bench and say "son thanks for the last three years when we needed you. However, the future is now take a seat, If I need you I will call you."

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree. three goalies is a must. ziggy obviously felt like the odd man out. let phil take a year to take everything in and then push parise the following year. i never had a good feeling about having brandt in the net...not like kg. parise is so much more confident and played some great games last year. if not for a screened shot that barely snuck over his shoulder against du...where could they have gone last year? parise gone because his brother is...bs. he'll be here until he's ready for the nhl...probably 4 years. now it's time to go after a young goalie with a couple of years of ushl left in order to secure a solid entrance for next year. anyone know what happened to kasey moreland? great talent...he would fit well, is young and now has a brother on the team (hopefully in a month).

I think what it came down to was eligibility. Ziggy won't lose a year by transferring, correct? I'm not sure if Ziggy could have gone back to the USHL or whatnot for a year.

Sioux #805: What the hell are you talking about?

Edited by redwing77

:( HAS ANYONE EVER WONDERED WHAT MAKES WARTHOG SO BITTER?? WHY WOULD YOU CARE WHERE A KID EATS? ISN'T THIS SUPPOSED TO BE A HOCKEY FORUM???? HOW ABOUT DIGGING UP THE DIRT TO FIND OUT WHERE ZIGGY IS GOING OR WHAT HIS PLANS ARE!!?? NEXT TIME YOU MEET HIM AT THE PEPPER-- WHY DON'T YA ASK!!!! ;)

ANYONE RELIABLE OUT THERE HEARD WHAT HIS FUTURE PLANS ARE??

:( HAS ANYONE EVER WONDERED WHAT MAKES WARTHOG SO BITTER?? WHY WOULD YOU CARE WHERE A KID EATS? ISN'T THIS SUPPOSED TO BE A HOCKEY FORUM???? HOW ABOUT DIGGING UP THE DIRT TO FIND OUT WHERE ZIGGY IS GOING OR WHAT HIS PLANS ARE!!?? NEXT TIME YOU MEET HIM AT THE PEPPER-- WHY DON'T YA ASK!!!! ;)

ANYONE RELIABLE OUT THERE HEARD WHAT HIS FUTURE PLANS ARE??

I'm not bitter, If given a fair chance he could play ahead of Phil. I just can't believe all the post that say Ziggy is getting$$$$$. Lets be real, Ziggy is better then a 4 string goalie and should find a place to play. Name one school that give cash to a $ 4 string goalie (Most team have 3) and I will stay off this board. CC and UMD wanted him before, so thats where he is going to end up!!!!

I'm not bitter, If given a fair chance he could play ahead of Phil. I just can't believe all the post that say Ziggy is getting$$$$$. Lets be real, Ziggy is better then a 4 string goalie and should find a place to play.

Perhaps Ziggy is better than a 4th string goalie ... at another school. If so, then we have a nice "problem". ???

The Sioux will not win a title with Brandt as a starter. It will have to be Parise or Lammy. It is sad that a player who by all accounts is a good person and a promising player (ziggy) ends up leaving while a goalie of questionable character (brandt) gets to stay. I guess we have to keep the Roseau pipeline, or at least whats left of it, happy.

Perhaps Ziggy is better than a 4th string goalie ... at another school. If so, then we have a nice "problem". ???

Yes it a nice promblem if your a fan. For Ziggy it a big problem in other ways. Player at this level want to play. I can tell you this he is not at UND to tosay he played for UND. As a fan you should look at in with a open mind, I bet half of this board would love to say they played for the Sioux. That is why Ziggy and Com. are where they are at in hockey career, they want to be the best and play,and play NOW!!!!!

The Sioux will not win a title with Brandt as a starter. It will have to be Parise or Lammy. It is sad that a player who by all accounts is a good person and a promising player (ziggy) ends up leaving while a goalie of questionable character (brandt) gets to stay. I guess we have to keep the Roseau pipeline, or at least whats left of it, happy.

This statement can't possibly be backed with facts. How do you know what happens in practice, the locker room, during games on the bench, etc? I have talked to many people about Brandt, his work ethic, and his attitude and have never once heard his character labeled as "questionable." Sure, he had some rough games, but he also had some huge ones. Ability and performance are not and should not be directly related to character. If that were the case, remember Bochenski's slump? I am sure you would not ever consider calling his character anything even close to questionable. Mark my words, Brandt will prove to be a huge asset to our team this year from his leadership to his locker room and practice attitude and even (GASP!!) from his play on the ice during big games.

Ability and performance are not and should not be directly related to character. If that were the case, remember Bochenski's slump? I am sure you would not ever consider calling his character anything even close to questionable.

I don't have anything bad to say about Bochenski at all, so please don't take this as a shot at him. It's just funny that of all Sioux players to choose from as your example, you chose the one that Sioux detractors have attacked for character issues for the last three years. Or maybe that's your point ... I'm not sure.

This statement can't possibly be backed with facts. How do you know what happens in practice, the locker room, during games on the bench, etc? I have talked to many people about Brandt, his work ethic, and his attitude and have never once heard his character labeled as "questionable." Sure, he had some rough games, but he also had some huge ones. Ability and performance are not and should not be directly related to character. If that were the case, remember Bochenski's slump? I am sure you would not ever consider calling his character anything even close to questionable. Mark my words, Brandt will prove to be a huge asset to our team this year from his leadership to his locker room and practice attitude and even (GASP!!) from his play on the ice during big games.

Actually I would question Bo' character more than Brandt's just because of the way he strung the team along. Now he will find out that "earning" money is different than "making" money. As far as Brandt goes, here is your fact about character:

http://www.uscho.com/news/2003/07/16_006834.php

As far as my statement regarding winning a title, the fact that J Parise started the most important game of the year as a Freshman (obviously the last game) speaks volumes as to Brandt's ability to bring home #8 for the Sioux.

Apparently some have already forgotten that Brandt played a large role in bringing home No. 13 for the Sioux.

There's no question that Jordan Parise played better down the stretch, which is why Blais started him. That was the formula Blais followed all season long. He started the goalie who played the best.

As far as I can remember Brandt only had one bad game. A couple he might have been off a little bit but he was still solid. Jake didn't get the start against Denver because of the loss to Minnesota in the Final Five in my opinion. The Final Five loss wasn't his fault. Same thing happened to Toronto in the playoffs. When Belfour had defensive back up they couldn't score on him. When they let him down he was lit up like a christmas tree. Same thing happened to Jake. Does this mean that Kidd ought to be the starter for Toronto next year. I'm not knocking Jordan. He improved all year long but I still think Jake is #1. He didn't win the WCHA for the Sioux, the Sioux did.

As far as I can remember Brandt only had one bad game. A couple he might have been off a little bit but he was still solid. Jake didn't get the start against Denver because of the loss to Minnesota in the Final Five in my opinion. The Final Five loss wasn't his fault. Same thing happened to Toronto in the playoffs. When Belfour had defensive back up they couldn't score on him. When they let him down he was lit up like a christmas tree. Same thing happened to Jake. Does this mean that Kidd ought to be the starter for Toronto next year. I'm not knocking Jordan. He improved all year long but I still think Jake is #1. He didn't win the WCHA for the Sioux, the Sioux did.

If I remember right, Brandt didn't play well in the WCHA Final Five game, some have blamed the defense for the loss. Brandt blew that game, period there is no sugar coating it. Big goalies have to make big stops even when their defense makes a mistake. Karl G did this, Brandt doesn't, that in my opinion is the difference between an ok/good goalie and an Great Goalie. Brandt is an ok goalie in the same mold Toby K was. Maybe we got spoiled with Karl.

Goon is right about comparing Kavelog to Brandt. Brandt has had three years to take the job and has not done so. If he was such a great leader there would be no question as to who the starter is. He is a senior and is battling a fresh and a soph for the job. It should not even be an argument but unfortunately it is.

Brandt didn't blow the final five game. It's been a bit since I watched the(packed away) but I can think of at least two goals that there wasn't much he could've done anything about. Most importantly the game winner. Potulny was allowed to come out from behind the net with the puck. Same thing happened to Belfour against Ottawa in the play offs. He couldn't stop it either. He has had a hard time being consistent but he also hasn't been given the same chance as Jordan has. When Jake let in 3 goals in the Fri. game here against the Bulldogs,he was pulled at the end of the first. When Jordan let in three in the first three minutes(@ St.Cloud), he was allowed to stay. All I'm saying is that if given the opportunities(lettting him work through it like Jordan did), He might not have been another Karl but would have been a damn good goalie. I think Jordan will turn out to be an excellent goalie also. Jake hasn't always been very steady but from what I saw this last year, he was the better of the two. Toward the end of the year it got closer and closer. To be consistent you need confidence. To be confident you need to be believed in. How can you expect him to be confident when he gets ripped for nearly every loss???

Brandt didn't blow the final five game. It's been a bit since I watched the(packed away) but I can think of at least two goals that there wasn't much he could've done anything about. Most importantly the game winner.

Don't forget about the goal where Greene turned the puck over to Vanek deep in the Sioux defensive end. I don't exactly chalk that goal up to Brandt.

I've watched the tape of the Final Five champsionship game three times, including replays of each goal in stop-action mode. (It's a fun game to watch, even if the Sioux did lose.)

From a team defense persepctive, it was probably one of the worst games the Sioux played all year. I know that Brandt didn't win the WCHA by himself. I also know that he didn't lose the Final Five championship game by himself.

I just feel that Jake deserves more credit than he got. 3(or 4) goals in that game might have been his fault but Minn. was playing pretty good at that time also. Adam Coole was a pretty good goalie and they lit him up for 8 goals in about 90 min. Given that fact, Jake fared pretty good if you ask me.