SiouxSports.com Forum

assistant coach

Kermit

Appears they are now being careful about the unnamed source quotes.

At any rate, Eades will be a super addition to the coaching staff, with some great recruiting connections in Canada, Minnesota, and the USHL.

Still odd that the WDAZ report had Johnson as an applicant, although the GFH says he did not apply.

He did apply. I talked with Jeff Bowen less than 2 weeks ago. The only question is whether he withdrew his name on his own, or as rumored, he was not eligible for the job because of some requirements for the job. If it is the latter, I am disappointed because I think that he was by far the best candidate, and one of the top 3 candidates for the head coach job with Scott Sandelin and Dave Hakstol.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim and Swig were pretty funny this morning, its sounds from their information they had that it would be Eades too. Apparently, Eades is just as intense as Berry and Hak and Tim talked about the Gorilla X3 coming out between periods if things didn't go right. I think it might be a good mix.

Who could forget the "water bottle incident" in Wisconsin, when Eades provided some much needed thump therapy to a Badger's head. Classic Eades! :)

We are going to be fine this year. INTENSE. Apparently Eades is a good recruiter. I think that is the key point.

A good recruiter AND a guy who has (perhaps) a more aggressive offense in mind. Eades will be running the offensive drills. That can't be bad.

Winger, although I don't remember which side. Liked to forecheck and work over opponent dmen in the corners.

Long time ago to remember.

He shoots right-handed so I am assuming he spent most of his time on the right side.

As an aside, the last UND coach that came directly from a very northern Minnesota high school team (Blais, Int'l Falls) certainly brought good fortune to the team. Let's hope that holds true in the case.

He shoots right-handed so I am assuming he spent most of his time on the right side.

As an aside, the last UND coach that came directly from a very northern Minnesota high school team (Blais, Int'l Falls) certainly brought good fortune to the team. Let's hope that holds true in the case.

Good point. If you are counting assistants, Scott Sandelin is from Hibbing on the Iron Range in northern Minnesota. I know Cary. He's a good coach. He brings a little different style than what we have become accustomed to with Dean Blais, who played a wide open passing and skating game. Cary Eades played a very physical game under Gino, and has coached that way. He has also coached a lot of dump and chase, although that may be a reflection of the talent that he had and attempting to match up with better skating teams like Moorhead. Last year's Warroad team was a good skating and passing team, so he certainly knows how to coach many different styles. As much as I wanted Steve Johnson, I think Cary Eades will do a very good job.

When Eades was playing, what position did he play?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=7536

Eades was a right wing. His freshman year with the Sioux (78-79) was Gino Gasparini's first year as coach. Eades played on a line with Kevin Maxwell (freshman) and Mark Taylor (junior) that became known as the "BC Connection." They were featured on Hockey Night in Canada one night! Maxwell was small, very fast, highly skilled, and a little chippy. He left after one year and played for Canada in the 1980 Olympics. Taylor was the national player of the year the next year (pre-Hobey Baker award).

Eades was an awkward skater, but he had good hands and he was tough, mean, and extremely strong in front of the net on the powerplay. I have vivid memories of a game when he was planted in front of the net on the PP. Every time the ref turned his back Eades would shove the goalie right into his own net! This went on and on for a whole shift..

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=7536

Eades was a right wing. His freshman year with the Sioux (78-79) was Gino Gasparini's first year as coach. Eades played on a line with Kevin Maxwell (freshman) and Mark Taylor (junior) that became known as the "BC Connection." They were featured on Hockey Night in Canada one night! Maxwell was small, very fast, highly skilled, and a little chippy. He left after one year and played for Canada in the 1980 Olympics. Taylor was the national player of the year the next year (pre-Hobey Baker award).

Eades was an awkward skater, but he had good hands and he was tough, mean, and extremely strong in front of the net on the powerplay. I have vivid memories of a game when he was planted in front of the net on the PP. Every time the ref turned his back Eades would shove the goalie right into his own net! This went on and on for a whole shift..

I would like to see UND play with an edge and grit like Eades did. Mean, Tough and smart.

For the early Hakstol naysayers, this goes far to show that Dave is an astute man, and that he has a clear eye for talent, commitment, and drive.

A better hire there could not have been in all the land. None.

The Sioux are not missing a step. Not a single one.

Scott who? Dean will always be fondly remembered, but he is now firmly in our rear view mirrors.