SiouxSports.com Forum

Thomas: Herald story not true

PCM

RT was never quoted saying that (statement does not have direct quotes). It looks to me the Heraldo jumped the gun on a bad lead and doesn't have the decency to retract the original story. I'm sorry but I am going to give RT the benefit of the doubt and believe him over some staff reporter and an anonymous lead.

The Heraldo would rather make the University look bad with unsubstantiated rumors and speculation than apologize for inaccuracies in reporting. :) Tabloid journalism at its finest. ;)

Now even if/when the university opens the search up nationally and if Hak gets the job it will look like a coverup. We should all thank the Heraldo for putting a cloud over our hockey program.

the FishWrap is BIGTIME covering their *ss! You may have noticed the TOTALLY self-serving line from friday's story..."The herald is sticking with the story"...even though Rog officially DENIED, on the record, the job had been offered to Hak with the completely logical arguement that he, as athletic director, doesn't have the authority to offer a job to anyone outside of the MINIMUM LEGAL REQUIREMENTS for posting the position internally. If the Herald really had balls...they'd NAME the source of the "hired" quote! (The CageLiner HAS been known to mis-interpret things or just plain GET THEM WRONG before) Again, read between the lines, the decision to go internal was essentially an endorsement of Hakstol for the job...IF Berry applies for the head spot, that complicates things slightly (meaning Roger will have a "decision" to make) I don't think he will. I think an informal "understanding" has been made on this whole deal. HEY PAT!!! maybe you should put your cub reporter hat and call Brad Berry and ask him if he intends to apply....if he says NO...then it's a done deal!! END OF STORY!

Posting jobs first internally is standard operating procedure at UND. I've said this several times and people for some reason refuse to believe me.

so you're saying UND would WASTE a week with an "internal" search before posting the job nationally when they could have just cut to the chase and done that right away?? Hakstol could have applied to a national search and still have been considered one of the leading contenders....AGAIN...there was a reason Roger went INTERNAL with the choice to list the position....

okay...I'm getting TIRED here but the FORUM picked that up from the wire story filed from the HERALD...nothing new!! Geez Pat...all your experience dealing with the real media...I'd think you'd know how it works by now...

You're right. I do know how it works. Up until the point that the Forum carried the AP story, the last story the Herald ran said that Thomas had given Hakstol the head coach job. The Herald didn't carry the story about Thomas denying this until the next day.

Not that it matters. Hakstol will be the next head coach.

so you're saying UND would WASTE a week with an "internal" search before posting the job nationally when they could have just cut to the chase and done that right away??

I'm saying that UND has no choice but to "waste" five days reviewing applications from internal candidates because it's the university's official policy.

This is what I don't get. How does Thomas do the CYA thing by making a statement before the application deadline passes that essentially says Hakstol is the only person whose application will be considered? That violates UND's policy just as much as offering the job before the deadline passes.

I'd like to think that Thomas has been at UND long enough and hired enough people to know how to properly play the CYA game.

Take this for what you will (worth the price of the paper it's printed on :) ):

I was talking to the inlaws this weekend, and they said Hakstol was offered the job on Tuesday or Wednesday. They chit-chat with people associated with UND hockey, both past and present, and have nothing to gain(especially in casual conversation with a Bison fan) about disclosing this.

I'm saying that UND has no choice but to "waste" five days reviewing applications from internal candidates because it's the university's official policy.

but couldn't they just go "national" and save the bother of going "interal" first??? Any internal candidates would be welcome to apply to the national search. That's what I'm saying about the "internal" decision...it's basically a shortcut for what appears to be inevitable...

I was talking to the inlaws this weekend, and they said Hakstol was offered the job on Tuesday or Wednesday.

so your in-laws subscribe to the GF FISHWRAP!!! Congrats!!! Or maybe they're the unnamed sources...or maybe you're the black sheep of the family being a Bison Fan :););)

so your in-laws subscribe to the GF FISHWRAP!!! Congrats!!! Or maybe they're the unnamed sources...or maybe you're the black sheep of the family being a Bison Fan :););)

I would suggest no fishing on Monday and Tuesday, due to the size of the fish wrapper, unless, you don't catch many fish because there sure has hell isn't anything in this rag on those days.

They subscribe to the Herald, but I don't believe they actually read it ;) .

This info came directly from someone associated with UND hockey, past or present, not the Herald or any of it's staff.

you guys can all be such morons sometimes. the herald got tip from a "source", which they are not going to name, otherwise this "source" wont be available to them in the future. pcm, you should know that.

this "source" told the paper they are gonna name hakstol the coach. obviously rt can't go saying that its correct, otherwise it would violate UND policy. he had to tell hakstol under the table that in five business days, he's gonna be the guy.

now quit getting so worked up and realize hakstol is the next coach. don't go into denial now, like everyone does about everything on this board.

now quit getting so worked up and realize hakstol is the next coach. don't go into denial now, like everyone does about everything on this board.

You are right, I was in deep denial. I convinced myself that sooner or later you would post something, anything sensible and worth reading, but, alas, your posts make it painfully clear that you are not capable of doing so.

btw, there is humor in the irony that other people getting "worked up" bothers you, yet other people getting "worked up" clearly gets you worked up. You have become what you despise.

What would we do without the always calm, senible and reasonable "deeks pizza" to keep us from getting all worked up?

Just so you know, DP, I depise it when any form of media uses an anonymous source to break a story. Using the tactic to scoop everyone else on the new UND hockey coach story seems rather silly to me.

I'm speaking as someone with a degree in journalism and who worked professionally in the field. But where would I be without you and others on this board to tell me what I should know? :)

NEWS FLASH!! I have an "unnamed source" who has identified the Herald's "unnamed source" - it was Scott Hennen. I won't reveal my "unnamed source"...oh what the hell...it was my father in law...who bumped into Hennen over the weekend and I'm sticking by my story. There you go!!

but couldn't they just go "national" and save the bother of going "interal" first??? Any internal candidates would be welcome to apply to the national search. That's what I'm saying about the "internal" decision...it's basically a shortcut for what appears to be inevitable...

Actually, they can't skip the internal part. The job can be posted both internally and externally (national search) at the same time, but it would have to be posted for at least 30 days. UND policy. All current (full-time non-probationary) UND employees get first crack at UND jobs.

I totally agree that choosing to do only internal was a nod in Hak's direction, but it couldn't have been skipped completely.

A lot fo UND fans think Sandelin should get the nod. Let's say Sandelin was still an assitant coach at UND under Dean? I doubt people would say he should get the position then, but now that he was offered the job by Duluth people see that as being a step up. Nothing proves to me that Sandelin is any better than Hakstol. Perhaps Hakstol would have gotten a job offer by a WCHA team and taken them to the top, but instead the pieces fell into place when Dean stepped down.