SiouxSports.com Forum

HOCKEY JOB STAYS INTERNAL?

sioumann

I wouldn't object. Blais recommended Hakstol and I think he would do a great job. Hakstol knows the chemistry of the team and I'm sure has strong relationships with most of the players. Hakstol worked under Dean, allowing him to see how Dean coached the team and know some of the drills Dean had the guys work on. He has done a great job recruiting and I think he would do a great job coaching as well. I think Hakstol would be the best choice with Berry under him and another guy- possibly one of the Sioux alumni they are looking into.

On another note, Sandelin is doing well in Duluth so the chances he'll want to leave may be small (but at the chance to coach UND- who knows).

I have nothing against Hakstol, but I think the process should be opened to outside applicants. The job is too important to hire the person who happens to be the most the convenient at the moment.

i have heard a few big names for the third spot, in hopes of someday getting bumped up....and people coming back to their alum...but nothing concrete yet...when it is i wil post it...dont want to spread anymore here say than is already on here!!! I would like to see the job opened up as well too, i think if sandy would take it he would be the best for the job, purely my opinion..he still recruited a lot of these guys so their is still ties to UND...no offense to Hak...just think Sandy would be a better Head coach....

I have nothing against Hakstol, but I think the process should be opened to outside applicants. The job is too important to hire the person who happens to be the most the convenient at the moment.

Very well put and expresses my sentiments exactly. I would add that I prefer Steve Johnson or Scott Sandelin, assuming Sandelin is interested. The intent is not to be negative toward Dave Hakstol, who is a viable candidate, but to compare him with the other candidates. Here are some reasons:

1. Dave Hakstol was a head coach only a few years in the USHL and did not have very great success. His track record in the USHL was no better than Tarek Howard or Scott Koberinski.

2. Hakstol is reputed to be a good recruiter, but turned off a few local recruits, including Danny Irmen. I believe that the Shattuck connection was more of a function of Dean Blais than Hakstol. He seems to be a good guy, but I have heard that some former players did not care for him as much as Sandelin.

3. Steve Johnson has been very successul in the USHL, having won the Clark Cup and Lincoln is generally one of the top teams. He also has more head coaching experience.

4. Steve Johnson is not only a former All-American for the Sioux, but is a local guy. That may not be a huge factor, but it is certainly worthy of consideration.

5. Steve Johnson has been important in recruiting as well, as Lincoln was/is a Sioux connection with Bochenski, Fournier and others.

6. Steve Johnson is very popular with his players and former players. In fact, I heard from a very reliable source that Ryan Potulny would have gone to UND had Steve Johnson been the coach.

7. Scott Sandelin's track record speaks for itself--great recruiter, assistant coach, and turned around a poor program in Duluth. Also, a very good guy that is very popular with his players.

UND cannot afford to screw this up. UND needs to be very successful (e.g. win) and REA needs to be filled to capacity to remain a viable program. Yes, Dean Blais endorsed Hakstol, but Dean is no longer directly involved with UND's program. It also is not surprising that he endorsed Hakstol because Blais is very loyal and what else is he going to say?

If Steve Johnson or Scott Sandelin were the coach, I have virtually no doubt that the Sioux program will continue to be one of the best in the country for years. I do not have that same level of comfort with Dave Hakstol at the helm. Personally, I think it is too risky.

well put skate, that is what i wanted to say, just not that long...if Sandy wants the job UND has to give it to him, REA being sold out is TOO important to UND athletics budget although now any surplus from REA will go to pay the bond back for the Betty...so UND better fill it up for both venues or the future wont be so bright!!!!

Nice post, skate. I have just a few comments.

First, Johnson's local ties are not much more than trivia to me, in terms of who is the best choice as head coach.

Second, I would view Johnson as just as much of a risk as Hakstol. Hakstol wasn't a proven head coach in the USHL, which Johnson is, but Hakstol is a proven Division 1 recruiter, while Johnson's skills there are as yet unproven. Hiring Sandelin would be the least risky move. (However, it's worth noting that UND's recruiting has been better under Hakstol than under Sandelin (IMO); that may have something to do with the building.)

I would like to see Sandy get offered the job but I don't think he will take it. He has a good thing going right now in UMD. Also Sandy (and I believe his wife) are from the "range" area and they really like it there. Besides Scotty just built a new house there.

With Scott as head coach and Dave and Brad right where they are would be a formitable combination. I just thinks its wishful thinking.

Its been said many times before how loyal Dean is and thats why he had to

recommend Dave as head coach. If not it would have been a real slap in the face.

I would like to see Sandy get offered the job but I don't think he will take it. He has a good thing going right now in UMD. Also Sandy (and I believe his wife) are from the "range" area and they really like it there. Besides Scotty just built a new house there.

So why doesn't Scott just say "not interested" and end all speculation, rather than "no comment"?

So why doesn't Scott just say "not interested" and end all speculation, rather than "no comment"?

Sweeny reported that Sandy hasn't expressed interest because there is not an opening available at this time. (paraphrased)

IMO, it seems like he would express interest if there was an opening available. At least that was my take on the broadcast...

*EDIT

Aside... John Marks was on with Tim & Swyg this morning pleading his case as well. He definitely wants it.

I agree again with you PCM.

I would like to see several candidates get a chance at applying for the position. I think it is the only fair thing to do.

Yes, the Marks interview was very interesting. He sure was campaigning for the job. Seemed very excited to move back to the area if the chance arose. His wife is from the area and his son really wants to move to an area that provides more opportunities to play hockey. Sounds like he is a stud goalie.

Sweeny reported that Sandy hasn't expressed interest because there is not an opening available at this time. (paraphrased)

IMO, it seems like he would express interest if there was an opening available. At least that was my take on the broadcast...

Sandelin sure was leaving his options open it sounded like to me by the quotes from Sweeney. He basically said that the UND job was not worth discussing because no one knew if the job would be opened up, so why waste time talking about it. He then continued to say that if it did open up, he would then see at that time if it interested him. IMO, that says he is very interested, otherwise he would just come out and say he is staying at UMD.

Of the names being tossed about only two of them have won championships as head coaches, and only one of them was at a level higher than NCAA play:

Steve Johnson, in the USHL

John Marks, in the ECHL

My opinion is, that if they make it a national search and Sandelin declines, I believe Marks should get a good solid look.

He has been in the ECHL for a few years now and has won at least one championship with them as Head Coach. His head coaching in a professional setting is a valuable asset to have. Also, although I am not sure, isn't he holding a front office job with the ECHL team as well?

With that in mind, the adage "If you want to go to the NHL, go to UND" could be more a reality (more than it already is) if there is a head coach who knows the ins and outs of what the NHL and pro hockey look for in a recruit.

Any way you cut it, I don't think there are any candidates that wouldn't make a solid prospect except for Berry. He is a solid associate head coach prospect, but lacks the experience to be head coach.

Of the names being tossed about only two of them have won championships as head coaches, and only one of them was at a level higher than NCAA play:

Steve Johnson, in the USHL

John Marks, in the ECHL

Interesting. I don't know much about Marks except he was a Sioux assistant "back when".

Have you notice that. For a guy thats not moving he sure hasn't take himself out of the mix. So which makes me think he might be interested.