SiouxSports.com Forum

The Betty

The Sicatoka

When I win the North Dakota lottery, the first thing I am doing is build UND a 75,001 seat, domed football stadium. After that I will build it a 50,001 seat basketball stadium. Then the Betty can become the home of Fighting Sioux volleyball and indoor tennis!!!!!!! Oh, and the UND chess club!

I'm primarily a hockey fan. I'm not really fond of the court being put down on the ice frequently. However, it seems to work at the Kohl (UW) and the Schott (tOSU) where they frequently host both hockey and BB.

What bothers me the most about this whole thing is that the multi-purpose approach to the big arena is 180 degrees different than Ralph's wishes and intentions.

Unless the ralph is absolutely packed to capacity, it is going to be impossible to create a good basketball atmosphere. It is a hockey rink, not a basketball court.

Roger Thomas said in the March Dimensions- "With the development of facilities, staff, and finances, we feel the University will be well-positioned to change levels of competition, if such a move would be in the best interests of Fighting Sioux athletics."

As far as possibly moving to DI some day, the Betty will not help us. It is only going to seat 3,000 and some. That is not a DI facility for a basketball program.

I know that a couple of months back Earl Strinden (as the face-man for UND Sports Facilities Inc.) about an extra $500k in donations to finish The Betty off in the same high caliber way that The Ralph is.

Everything I'd read about The Betty to this point said "plastic seating".

Aren't those the same leather seats that are in The Ralph? Did they raise the money? That picture makes me think they probably did.

Why not tell the public, at the time, what their money was going to be used for?

Why not tell the public, at the time, what their money was going to be used for?

Upon further review, they did.

The money would pay for extras such as VIP rooms, enhanced scoreboards, cushioned seating just like in the Ralph, an improved wood floor that's less stressful on athletes' joints, and a section devoted to the history of UND basketball and volleyball.

What bothers me the most about this whole thing is that the multi-purpose approach to the big arena is 180 degrees different than Ralph's wishes and intentions.

I think you're right. From my best observation, he wanted the best college hockey facility in the world. Nothing more, and more importantly, nothing less. I really don't think he would enjoy watching a basketball game in the main rink. But who am I to say what RE wanted or didn't want...

Are those "drop down" hoops I see?  Are those the main hoops are they just side hoops for practice?  If they are the main ones, isn't that kind of 60's.  Anyone know for sure?

I agree... kind of tacky, IMO.

What you see in the pictures are the "practice set-up" (four BB courts) hoops.

There are renderings showing "game set-up" here:

http://www.iconarchitects.com/projects/rea...enter/index.htm

An interesting FYI:

Gonzaga's current gym is 4000 seats. They are building a "big" new gym: 6000 seats. :D

What you see in the pictures are the "practice set-up" (four BB courts) hoops.

I would have thought they'd put in floor mouted "practice hoops" to avoid the permanent fixture hanging from the ceiling. I suppose set-up and tear-down for practices is easier this way?

(no... I don't mean the ones like the kids have where you fill the base with sand or water) :D:p