SiouxSports.com Forum

The Betty

The Sicatoka

I know that a couple of months back Earl Strinden (as the face-man for UND Sports Facilities Inc.) was asking for about an extra $500k in donations to finish The Betty off in the same high caliber way that The Ralph is.

Everything I'd read about The Betty to this point said "plastic seating". But look at this picture:

http://www.ralphengelstadarena.com/images/...04/DSC06912.jpg

Aren't those the same leather seats that are in The Ralph? Did they raise the money? That picture makes me think they probably did.

That photo is a part of this gallery:

http://theralph.com/construction/Jun1.htm

The whole construction progress gallery is here:

http://theralph.com/construction/

The project description is here:

http://theralph.com/new2/Arena_Info_Sectio...ioux_Center.htm

When the construction crews are done there, I guess they move across the street to the new Wellness Center.

Man Sicatoka, you must have some awfully good eyes. I can't make out whether the seats are leather, plastic, or made of cardboard. ;)

One thing the Betty should be actively pursuing is the ND Region 2 boys and girls basketball tournaments. Region 2 runs from Hillsboro north to the Canadian border. The tournament has alternated between Mayville State and Grafton high school for the last 10 years or so, but Mayville is too small and Grafton isn't allowed to hold the tournament anymore. The Betty would be the perfect size and location for such an event. I'd imagine the tournaments combined would draw 10-12K and introduce lots of college bound teenagers to the finest athletic facilities in the upper midwest. :(

RD17:

I'm going off of the shape and colors. Plastic seating is normally one color. Those are clearly two and the color alignments are the same as in The Ralph (dark green backs and seats, you can just see the edge of the seat, and black under seat structure pieces). Plus, those seats look thicker than standard plastic. I base that off of the renderings of the arena found on the Icon Architects' page for The Betty.

UND Fan:

I've seen numbers from 3300 to 4000. I wish I knew for sure also. I go off of the same information (web, newspapers) that you read.

I do know that there was a great deal of discussion about the capacity issue before they announced the Betty would be built. It was first proposed that the number would be 3,200. Many, including myself, felt that number was too low. I know many fans and boosters, including Coach Glas, was pleased that the capacity was raised to 4,000. I will try to find out what the real story is.

WOW does that place look nice! It could be a great homecourt advantage for UND if NCC games were played there. Very nice.

I do hope the seating is a little more spacious that at the REA. That arena is beautiful but the seating is horrible. But anyway it is your arena and not mine.

Looking forward to hosting UND at our new field this fall. Hope many make the trip from Grand Forks.

Huskies - I am a UND alum and supporter living in Florida. I have been to the Ralph only a couple of times. I am curious about your comments regarding "more spacious seating". Please explain - are the seats not wide enough, not enough room between rows, etc.

The leg room was the main issue for me. I would compare the width of the seats to the metrodome which is notoriously small seats. REA is much nicer than Marriucci but the seating at UM is nice and roomy.

The main reason I posted was to express my excitment fro UND with the building of The Betty.

The leg room was the main issue for me. I would compare the width of the seats to the metrodome which is notoriously small seats.

Is the issue the width of the seat or the width of the ..... ;) ;) :D

The lower bowl does seem to have better space between both seats and rows. The upper bowl does feel tighter relative to that but the viewing angles are great and for being in the upper deck of an arena you are very close to the game.

But hey, you're at a hockey game! If you wanted to lounge why didn't you stay home in the overstuffed rocker with the remote and watch on Fighting Sioux Sports Network. ;)

Hyslop is about 50 years old, in need of repair and upgrade, and seats roughly 4500.

Somebody explained the size of The Betty to me this way:

You need a big-time college basketball arena?

Play in The Ralph (Kansas at UND -- 13000 plus).

You need a 9100 seat basketball arena?

Play in The Alerus in basketball configuration.

You need a 5500-6000 seat basketball arena?

You play in The Ralph (but only open the lower bowl and club rooms).

You need a 4000 seat arena?

The Betty.

Looking at UND's game attendances over the last few seasons, The Betty at roughly 4000 seats would have handled all but two or three home attendances per team per year. Those games that it couldn't have held were being played in The Ralph anyway.

There's an undercurrent here that kind of surprises me: If any other university in the state or region were getting a new basketball arena, at no taxpayer expense, of the size and caliber of The Betty (and does UND really need bigger when an objective view shows it is very comparable seating-wise to Hyslop and has a $104 MM, 13000+ seat for BB arena hooked to it) there'd be nothing but hootin' and hollerin' over the greatness of it. All I ever seem to read here is what's wrong with it (before it ever opens).

Sicakota - I absolutely agree with your point. We have been blessed in recent years with the Alerus, REA and now the Betty - all at little or no cost to UND. All are first class facilities that add a great deal to the community, the university and to our athletic programs. There is way too much second-guessing and whining going on about various aspects of these buildings - types of seating, where the students sit, why there needs to be a $500,000 fund raising effort to finish the Betty off right, etc.

We should all feel very fortunate and stay away from the whining. My question of a couple of days ago was not meant to create controversy - I was just asking the question as to how many people the Betty will seat for BB - hoping that it was 4,000 rather than 3,300.

Despite these great "game" facilities, we need to figure out how we can fund an indoor practice facility for FB, BB and track. We are missing out on some very good track athletes who would like to get their education at UND but don't attend due to our poor indoor practice and meet facility. Some of these athletes also play other sports, primarily FB. Once we get such a facility (and the answer is not rehabbing the old REA), we will truly have outstanding facilities in all areas. Recruiting should be much easier, practice preparations much better - with the overall results being more wins, more spectators, more excitement. Just what we all want!!!

Look at what I found:

Elizabeth Nichols asked about the status of the old Engelstad Arena.  Roger Thomas said that an architect has been contacted regarding potential uses for the site and to help make the decision as to whether it should be torn down or renovated.  He indicated an indoor practice facility as well as an indoor track are the next items on the agenda.

As I mentioned earlier, I certainly hope that they do not attempt to refurbish the old REA. The price tag to simply repair the roof and other structural problems totaled over a million $. I suppose some of those dollars would be saved by a complete rehab but the cost would be a few million. It would have to be expanded in at least one direction to make it the size necessary for various track event or to have a decent sized FB practice area. With much of the internal structure being concrete, a rehab would be difficult.

It would be much better to knock it down and build the type of facility we need!

Somebody explained the size of The Betty to me this way:

You need a big-time college basketball arena?

Play in The Ralph (Kansas at UND -- 13000 plus).

You need a 9100 seat basketball arena?

Play in The Alerus in basketball configuration.

You need a 5500-6000 seat basketball arena?

You play in The Ralph (but only open the lower bowl and club rooms).

You need a 4000 seat arena?

The Betty.

Where is the logic in this? Where is the home court advantage? How do you sell season tickets to ten different arenas?

It would have made sense just to build a 6,000-7,000 seat arena that was their permanent home. Then if some special occasion justified it, you could play in the Ralph.

Why not 6000 to 7000 seats?

Because UND basketball attendance over the last decade doesn't justify it?

Because the bottom bowl of The Ralph is that already (plus you have The Ralph already)?

Because the 4000 seats in The Betty cost $7.5 MM and the 6000 seats at Gonzaga's new, similar arena cost $23 MM(!)? Those "extra" millions could do a lot for other UND training facilities. (See above.)

I'm primarily a hockey fan. I'm not really fond of the court being put down on the ice frequently. However, it seems to work at the Kohl (UW) and the Schott (tOSU) where they frequently host both hockey and BB.