SiouxSports.com Forum

Let's Help Bubba Initiatives

UND Fan

So I couldn't understand the reason for this thread till I read this post.

This is informative, but I suspect for those who want Bubba's head (and others) it will make no difference or they will suggest you and your sources are exaggerating.

31 minutes ago, shep said:

So I couldn't understand the reason for this thread till I read this post.

This is informative, but I suspect for those who want Bubba's head (and others) it will make no difference or they will suggest you and your sources are exaggerating.

You are probably correct!

5 hours ago, UND Fan said:

Over the last 2-3 weeks, I have talked with UND brass as well as some high school coaches.  I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that recruits and/or their parents often view a school's fan website like ss.com.  They often put a lot of (too much) weight on what they read on these sites and it actually may have a bearing on their decisions as to where they continue their athletic and academic careers.  Additionally, some opposing coaches may use these issues to use against us in their recruiting discussions with prospects.  A few related thoughts:

Fundraising 

In an effort to convince members to contribute, I have probably made it sound like the FB budget is really hurting.  While there remains many things that the coaching staff would like to assist them and their players, they definitely do not have a bare-bones budget.  There are able to do or provide their athletes with most of what they would like.  

In the future, I will watch my wording better so a recruit or parent isn't alarmed by what they read.

Coaching Discussions 

While the primary purpose of forums like ours is to discuss various teams and their success (or lack of).  This will undoubtedly continue to include discussions related to our coaches, coaching decisions, etc.  It appears that some recruits (maybe especially their parents) read these discussions closely and it may have a bearing on their college decision.  

For anyone who has followed my posts in recent years, you know that I have been quite critical of one of our programs and its head coach.  While I am sure I will continue to comment, I am going to attempt to be less outspoken about our coaches.  The bottom line is:  My comment about a coach on ss.com will have absolutely no impact on UND's decision to retain or dismiss the coach.  However, my comment may influence a prospect to go somewhere other than UND. 

Comments About Players

Similar to the coaching issue above, there are often quite negative comments made about individual players.  This really turns parents off as they don't want their athlete to be subjected to similar comments.  

My bottom line:  I am going to be more careful with what and how I comment on ss.com.  Others may want to do the same.

I fully realize that it may be a small % of recruits/parents who come on these websites but if we would lose one talented prospect because of something I say, that is too many!!

I am not interested in debating any of the above. 

Excellent post.  I agree that we should all tone down our comments about players and coaches, because there's nothing to gain and, potentially, a lot to lose.  Not to say that we should give out nothing but bouquets, but comments can be made in such a way that the point gets across without trashing the person.

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, shep said:

I haven't reviewed the 2019 Recruiting thread, but I think it's been very positive as we welcome young men to our team.

We occasionally whine about the one who got away, but generally we seem good. Right?

Might be talking more about some people shitting on a player from time to time for not making plays they’re capable of or not being good enough in general. I’ll call a guy out of they aren’t playing to their level so I’m guilty of that. Nothing wrong with an honest critique of a player if it’s in line with reality and not a personal attack. Also, parents should know better than to put a lot of weight into what’s on a message board. That’s like basing your self esteem on your twitter profile, not a good idea.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Might be talking more about some people shitting on a player from time to time for not making plays they’re capable of or not being good enough in general. I’ll call a guy out of they aren’t playing to their level so I’m guilty of that. Nothing wrong with an honest critique of a player if it’s in line with reality and not a personal attack. Also, parents should know better than to put a lot of weight into what’s on a message board. That’s like basing your self esteem on your twitter profile, not a good idea.

I agree. Any parent should want their child to be challenged, to learn from their mistakes and accept adversity as a necessary part of life. If some of us get too loud in our critique of the kid for a bad play, I don't see how that could hurt their son.