SiouxSports.com Forum

Hockey no longer a major sport

jimdahl

I've watched bits of the Lakers/Wolves games and am amazed that the NBA is considered entertainment in many people's minds. I just don't get it. Not that there's a lack of talent, because these guys are true specimens. But, sheesh, it's like 3 quarters of practice shooting then one short game. Still, I find myself cheering for KG and the boys. Ya gotta like that Garnett and the other guy with the sore back-- Cassell right? What was this thread about?

Oh yeah, there's not much about the NHL I would change. I'm very anti- Olympic ice, but these guys are fast enough that the game still keeps pace on the big pond. Perhaps an extra 5ft in width would be enough. By comparison, Olympic ice has ruined college hockey. Get rid of it immediately. It is a complete disaster.

Size of the goal mouth should stay the same. Remove the center line? Maybe, but wouldn't this increase more defensive minded play through fear of the long pass? Goalie pads are aweful big, but then that puck is coming a lot faster these days.

Go back to all-wooden sticks and give the boys in Warroad some business.

Fighting is part of the game. Although, the sissy-boy dances choreographed for crowd rousing are embarrassing. Get rid of 'em. Major penalties for that fakey crap. Matching minors for serious hate-filled bouts. Season DQ for stick swinging.

taz digs hockey in high definition

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I, for one, am glad that hockey is a rough sport. Frankly, anyone that thinks physical play drives fans away is clueless. Don't agree? Just look at the NFL. 'nuff said on that theory.

In addition, from my standpoint as a hockey player, I will say that a little violence is not all a bad thing. People see ugly injuries on their TV's and their politically correct conditioned response is to react with shock, disgust, and - eventually - outrage. All those people are sheep. You will not find a single real hockey player who would say that it is an excessively violent sport. And the players - not the fans - would know. We are the ones who are taking the punishment.

I, for one, am glad that hockey is a rough sport. Frankly, anyone that thinks physical play drives fans away is clueless.

Nobody said that hockey wasn't a rough sport or a physical game. Nobody is saying that it shouldn't be.

You will not find a single real hockey player who would say that it is an excessively violent sport. And the players - not the fans - would know. We are the ones who are taking the punishment.

True, it is not an excessively violent sport when the game is played and officiated the way it was meant to be played. However, I suspect that Mario Lemieux would take issue with your statement---he walked away from the game because he was tired of the constant obstruction and cheap play. Fighting is not part of the game any more than it is in football. It is a violation of the rules that has been tolerated for too long. It is not tolerated in football and usually results in an immediate ejection and ultimately a fine and suspension.

You want hockey ratings to improve? Then HYPE THE WORLD CUP! I've read many articles touting the 1996 game 3 Canada/USA game as one of the greatest games ever played and it wasn't even shown live on ESPN! I watched it on tape-delay and I agree...it's on-par with the 1980 USA/Soviet game. Why is it people trash hockey, yet every winter Olympics, the TV ratings are thru the roof and it's impossible to get a ticket? Showcase the big events and they will come!

I watched last night's Piston/Net game and honestly, how can people tune into this stuff? BORING!

You want hockey ratings to improve? Then HYPE THE WORLD CUP! I've read many articles touting the 1996 game 3 Canada/USA game as one of the greatest games ever played and it wasn't even shown live on ESPN! I watched it on tape-delay and I agree...it's on-par with the 1980 USA/Soviet game. Why is it people trash hockey, yet every winter Olympics, the TV ratings are thru the roof and it's impossible to get a ticket? Showcase the big events and they will come!

I watched last night's Piston/Net game and honestly, how can people tune into this stuff? BORING!

Exactly!! The Canadians broadcast a lot more events all the time, and they do a much better job of doing anyways. They even will talk about the up and coming guys that are a few years away yet. On the networks here in the states, the brodcasters are either washed up hockey players, or guys that are just there until another job opens up. I think if they just started to broadcast a few more games, say like on *Saturday Night*, they would be able to build up a better TV viewership.

Another thing the league should think about is to adjust its schedule slightly so that its not so in sync with the NBA. They could start up a month earlier, and be ready, rearing to go right after March Madness is over, with the Quest for the cup.

I suspect that Mario Lemieux would take issue with your statement---he walked away from the game because he was tired of the constant obstruction and cheap play. Fighting is not part of the game any more than it is in football. It is a violation of the rules that has been tolerated for too long. It is not tolerated in football and usually results in an immediate ejection and ultimately a fine and suspension.

I did not refer to fighting in my post skatesshatrick - I referred to the physical play. Most severe injuries in hockey result from bad checks - not getting punched in the face so fights are an entirely different issue.

As for Mario, I would like to hear it from him. If he actually would say something like that, then my reply would go like this: "Hockey has always been physical, and should stay that way. It is a young person's sport - and we like to play it rough. If you are too old or cannot handle it, then you are welcome to find a different more gentle league."

No, it was that annoying little smarta$$ dog from Duck Hunt...he kept laughing and laughing, Mario had had enough. Luigi did recently sign a huge contract though...anyone remember how much that was for? :sad::lol:

$200,000 a year plus an endless supply of spaghetti and calzones. :lol:

:lol: Once again, I find myself wondering how hockey can be considered a second-tier sport to watch and attend. Did anyone see last night's Pacer/Piston game? 23-11 after the first quarter, and with 45 seconds left in the half, the score was 27-22. That's right...the Pacers had racked up all of four (yes, that's the number 4) points in the entire second quarter. Only two three pointers by them in the last 45 seconds put them into double-digit scoring in the quarter. Points by quarter:

Indiana: 1st 23. 2nd 10.

Detroit: 1st 11. 2nd 16.

Is anyone else wondering how this is even watchable? I was a HUGE NBA fan back in the days of Magic, Larry, and Dr J. What the NBA has become thanks to Michael Jordan is crap. It's more rigged than wrestling. Referees asking the scorer's table how many fouls Shaq has, Kobe taking four steps to the hoop without a call (except for the fall on the defense after he made the shot), the Wolves TRYING to foul Shag and send him to the free throw line but the official all but ignoring the play and telling Mark Madsen "let him go". He had him in a bear hug for crying out loud! If they want to foul Shag 50 times a game, make the damn call. There are RULES and they need to be enforced whether you like them or not. At least in the NHL (in the Stanley Cup Finals, no less), the official has the GUTS to call an obvious 5:00 penalty on Calgary for a cheap shot on Lecavalier with less than 5:00 left in the game. Tough call for the Flames, but maybe their goon should have used his head.

Every time I hear that the NHL is a second-rate sport, I just cringe. The NBA is a joke. And these playoffs are proving it once again. Yet announcers like Craig Sager fawn over Kobe and his "courageous" effort, comparing him to firefighters, cops, and the military in his dedication and drive. ARE YOU FREAKING SERIOUS, CRAIG? It's basketball. Even if he's not guilty of rape, he's guilty of cheating on his wife. Hardly a role model in my eyes. Unfortunately, I guess I'm just too conservative these days. The thug-life NBA...it's FAN-tastic.

Give me the NHL any day. I only wish the season was year-round so I wouldn't have to stomach the intermission known as baseball season. :sad: My rant is over. Next?

should we clap? good points made tho. basketball is pussy every time you look at someone funny its a foul, and baseball is like watching paint dry but worse. after watching hockey the others sports cant compare. but has any one been watching lacrosse on tv thats a decent sport too bad its not around here.

should we clap? good points made tho. basketball is pussy every time you look at someone funny its a foul, and baseball is like watching paint dry but worse. after watching hockey the others sports cant compare. but has any one been watching lacrosse on tv thats a decent sport too bad its not around here.

The good thing about basketball right now is that 4-7 games from now it will be over. Then all we have to be bothered by is the 3 weeks of basketball reviews and replays on Sportscenter.

The good thing about basketball right now is that 4-7 games from now it will be over. Then all we have to be bothered by is the 3 weeks of basketball reviews and replays on Sportscenter.

Are you kidding. The media spotlight on basketball players is just beginning. Now that they aren't kept a close eye on by coaches, agents, managers etc... We have to endure months of who was arrested for smoking dope, hangin with their gangster friends, selling smack. Not to mention who's making a rap album, who's banging J-Lo, who's giving acting a try. Plus the Olympics are this year so we get the "bonus" coverage of who's going to Athens plus previews of the Slovak's, Austrailian, Brazilian, Chinese, Canadian etc... teams and how they fair against the 04 "Dream Team", assuming they can find 10 NBA stars not in jail or promoting themselves.

Although hockey seems to be catching up- the Blues player trying to hire a hitman. What Russian player is banging Annika etc..

Once again, I find myself wondering ....

Give me the NHL any day. I only wish the season was year-round so I wouldn't have to stomach the intermission known as baseball season. :sad: My rant is over. Next?

And people in choir cry "Amen, Brother Mafia!" :lol:

Are you kidding. The media spotlight on basketball players is just beginning. Now that they aren't kept a close eye on by coaches, agents, managers etc... We have to endure months of who was arrested for smoking dope, hangin with their gangster friends, selling smack. Not to mention who's making a rap album, who's banging J-Lo, who's giving acting a try. Plus the Olympics are this year so we get the "bonus" coverage of who's going to Athens plus previews of the Slovak's, Austrailian, Brazilian, Chinese, Canadian etc... teams and how they fair against the 04 "Dream Team", assuming they can find 10 NBA stars not in jail or promoting themselves.

Although hockey seems to be catching up- the Blues player trying to hire a hitman. What Russian player is banging Annika etc..

Ok, but that's amusing to watch Sportscenter downplay all of that. As far as J-Lo is concerned, she's a... well.. nevermind.

And Anna isn't banging a Russian. She's banging a perverted latin singer :sad: