• Tampa
    • Toronto
    • Philly
    • Other

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually it may not be as bad for hockey as you think. Remember Tampa plays a offesive style similar to the Sioux. If an offensive team wins the Cup, it'll prove to a lot of young coaches that you don't need to run the trap, or a variation thereof, to win the Cup, thus opening up the game and creating more scoring. Which in turn makes the game more exciting and more people will watch. :D

I have been saying this all along. Tampa and the Sharks style would be more entertaining for hockey in the long run. Winning with this style will bring other teams into the fold.

Winning will have a positive aspect on attendance and popularity in the South. If they don't win they still need to play entertaining hockey with great effort. Fans appreciate effort by the players, the GM and the owner in providing a winning team, or one that looks like it can.

I'm cheering for Calgary now since they have a couple of former WCHA guys in Commodore and Leopold.

That's true.

Here is the breakdown of all four teams as far as ex-college athletes on their playoff rosters. It's interesting to note that University of Vermont has the most alumni in the playoffs currently with 4.

San Jose:

Total Ex-College athletes on Playoff Roster: 3

Hockey East: Niko Dimitrakos (UMaine) and Jim Fahey (Northeastern)

WCHA: Tom Preissing (CC)

Calgary:

Total Ex-College athletes on Playoff Roster: 4

Hockey East: Chuck Kobasew (Boston College)

ECAC: Craig Conroy and Chris Clark (both from Clarkson)

WCHA: Mike Commadore (UND) and Jordan Leopold (UMinn)

Among the other two teams: Here is the breakdown.

Philadelphia:

Hockey East: Tony Amonte (BU)

ECAC/Hockey East: John LeClair and Patrick Sharp (U. Vermont)

Tampa Bay:

CCHA: Dan Boyle (Miami)

WCHA: Ben Clymer (UMinn)

ECAC/Hockey East: Martin St. Louis and Eric Perrin (U. Vermont)

That's true.

Here is the breakdown of all four teams as far as ex-college athletes on their playoff rosters. It's interesting to note that University of Vermont has the most alumni in the playoffs currently with 4.

San Jose:

Calgary:

Philadelphia:

Tampa Bay:

you said there are 4 ex college players on the flames but you typed 5 which is right

That's true.

San Jose:

Calgary:

Philadelphia:

Tampa Bay:

Isn't Jeremy Roenick a former Hockey East hockey player (BU I think)?

Isn't Jeremy Roenick a former Hockey East hockey player (BU I think)?

Roenick is from Boston, but I don't think he played any college hockey. He started playing with the Blackhawks soon after high school, 18 or 19. I think he played in the NHL straight out of high school, he may have spent part of a season in the AHL or Major Juniors.

I voted for Phily that's only cause I am supersticious. At one of my games in the lobby of the arena there was one of those stupid little 50 cent toy machines but it had little guys holding staley sups in it. I really wanted a devils one cause they are my favorite team. (because David Hale plays for them) but i got a little Flyers guy holding the cup.

I voted for Phily that's only cause I am supersticious. At one of my games in the lobby of the arena there was one of those stupid little 50 cent toy machines but it had little guys holding staley sups in it. I really wanted a devils one cause they are my favorite team. (because David Hale plays for them) but i got a little Flyers guy holding the cup.

I like things like that happening especially if it's my team left holding the cup. They played like they should have last night. It may signal the end of Khabibulin's hot streak. That first goal was not a good one.

Do you hear the birds in Tampa going off? I do, it's called Philadelphia playing CHEAP hockey.

WOW! Go Primeau go! I thought Brashear was cheap. GO LIGHTENING GO! Sorry JR, but you gotta play on a classy team before I can root for you for anything.

TB- Class

Ph-LACK

It was good to see that Hatcher got the 3 game suspension for the cheap elbow he gave in game 6 against the Flames.

You want to talk about cheap and no class, that guy is the poster boy.

Yeah he was cheap, but there are players in the league who are much more cheap than Hatcher. Only thing that seperates Hatcher from others are simply better at getting away with it. Good examples of cheap players are Brashear, Parker (ANA), Worrell, and (surprisingly enough) Keith Primeau. I didn't know until yesterday that Keith was that cheap. Surprise surprise.

I was angry when I wrote that post yesterday. Not all of the FLyers have no class. Just a good deal of them are. In fact, the TB/PHI series is turning into plentiful examples of how hockey isn't supposed to be.

I think that if the whistle is blown and a punch is thrown at the beginning of the game (the so called scrum after the whistle), the refs should feel free to send as many as are necessary to the box, no warnings aside. If scrums continue, 4 minute double minors are assessed with 10 minute misconducts and majors following. After the whistle is dead time. You make line changes or get reset for the drop of the puck. If there is any extracurricular activity, the players can reflect on how much they dislike each other from within the penalty box. END RANT

I don't know how you can say the Flyers are cheap and the Lightning are not. Taylor left his feet which in the rule book is charging, when he helped sandwich Pitkanen into getting a concussion.

In Game 4 Lecavalier went to the penalty box because he knew he should have. The refs have been awful. It's why things get out of hand and players get hurt.

Brashear and Roy get penalties as often for their reputations as for actually doing something.

For as much as Primeau may dish out roughness he takes an awful lot in return which is not called because of his size.

True enough about Taylor. In my rant, he would have been taken out of the game too. I am not really a fan of any of the teams left in the playoffs, my team is already out. I'm just saying that these are the playoffs, the ONE time in the season where pro hockey gets the coverage it deserves. We do not need to waste this coverage by endless scrums every time the whistle blows.

And Eskimos, he WAS cheap. If you noticed, Detroit is not one of those teams playing currently. So unless you are referring to how well Derian tips at restaurants, the proper tense would be past tense. :D

Calgary is cheap, and they are going to play for the cup. Cheap teams win in the WCHA as well. Unless hockey in general tries to enforce the rules as they are written, this will happen. Does this help or hurt hockey?

I'm not sure that cheap teams necessarily gain an advantage, but I agree that less skilled teams gain an advantage, particularly in the playoffs when the refs let a lot more go than they do during the regular season. Lou Nanne talked about this the other day during an interview with Dan Barreiro on the Fan. I get frustrated watching the more skilled teams lose the advantage that they have in skill and speed because the refs will not call the interference, hooking, clutching and grabbing. Wayne Gretzky would not score nearly as much in today's NHL because he would not be able to fight through the constant mugging and interference. Unfortunately, it has trickled down to college hockey.

I think it hurts hockey. Yes, there is more parity, but who wants to watch 1-0 or 2-1 hockey games with 18 shots on net?? I would rather see the stars and the skilled teams like Detroit, Ottawa and Colorado, not the Sutter style of play.

I don't see Calgary as being a very cheap team. They have outshot the Sharks, or been close the entire series. They don't use a neutral zone trap very often and Iginla is probably the best player in the league. All the teams clutch and grab, Detroit and CO do it just as much as the rest.

I was kinda hoping for a Philly - San Jose series just to see the Primeau brothers fight again. Watching their mother cry on ESPN was priceless.

Anyone else catch the 91 North Stars - Oilers game on ESPN Classic? After seeing that it shows how much the game has changed, Mike Modano was flying all over the ice without a 230 lb goon on his back. It was a great game to watch again.

I was kinda hoping for a Philly - San Jose series just to see the Primeau brothers fight again. Watching their mother cry on ESPN was priceless.

That won't happen, and if it does happen, She'll grab the both of them by the ear and make them say they're sorry!! :lol::sad:

redwing,

It sounds as if you know very little about Keith Primeau. I suggest you watch him in person or throughout the course of a season. He is anything BUT a cheap player.

You want cheap? How about that bearded little crybaby midget, Mary SanLouis intentionally slashing at Alex Zhamnov's bare hand. If this happened to someone int he green/white you guys would be going nuts.