1. 1. Who will win this years cup

• Colorado
    • Detroit
    • San Jose
    • Tampa
    • Toronto
    • Philly
    • Other

As one who loves the Flyers more than life itself I am happy to see that Minnesota North Star has picked TB.

BTW, who are the hockey Einsteins around here who picked the gay-ple-laffs to win the Cup in this thread?

The laffs and Belfour are our B*I*T*C*H*E*S.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Btw, if you're looking for the OFFICIAL END OF PRO HOCKEY IN AMERICA look out for that matchup between traditional hockey rivals, the San Jose Sharks and the Tampa Bay Lightning in the Stanley Cup Finals.

I've never been to Florida, but do they watch a lot of hockey there in June? How about that San Jose area? I know it's "hotbed" but for hockey?

Will a Final with these teams get TV ratings above the Little League World Series or will ABC just pull out the old Arm Wrestling Championship from Pomona in 1972?

Look out.

shep

Maybe the ratings won't be there but I think a Lightning/Sharks matchup would be good for hockey for this reason: Teams copy winners. How many teams adopted the Devils' trapping style after they won a few cups? It's boring. The Lightning and Sharks are fast skating, skill teams. Hockey fans would be in for a treat if teams started copying them.

I love the Flyers. Love how they have been playing. But througout the season I found the Lightning to be much more fun to watch.

DaveK, what I said about Francis is that he is another player will a lot of heart as opposed to Kovalev. Who cares what he and Jagr did 10 or more years ago? Even in 94 Kovalev was a putz and almost cost the Rangers a game.

Maybe the ratings won't be there but I think a Lightning/Sharks matchup would be good for hockey for this reason: Teams copy winners. How many teams adopted the Devils' trapping style after they won a few cups? It's boring. The Lightning and Sharks are fast skating, skill teams. Hockey fans would be in for a treat if teams started copying them.

I love the Flyers. Love how they have been playing. But througout the season I found the Lightning to be much more fun to watch.

DaveK, what I said about Francis is that he is another player will a lot of heart as opposed to Kovalev. Who cares what he and Jagr did 10 or more years ago? Even in 94 Kovalev was a putz and almost cost the Rangers a game.

Ruff,

Your points about hockey style are good, I just wonder how many people will even see it.

Those teams don't exactly evoke memories of great hockey traditions.

shep

As one who loves the Flyers more than life itself I am happy to see that Minnesota North Star has picked TB.

BTW,  who are the hockey Einsteins around here who picked the gay-ple-laffs to win the Cup in this thread?

Nice. Just remember, no matter how much you despise the Maple Leafs, they have one thing that the Flyers will never have: Status of being one of the original six. All the rest are just wannabes.

And Belfour is going to the Hall of Fame regardless of his team. We'll see about Esche or Burke.

And just in case you think I'm just a "jaded" Leafs fan, I'm not. I respect the alumni (even if they didn't actually graduate) of UND's hockey program.

My Wings couldn't beat a good Calgary team. It happens. The Leafs couldn't beat a Flyers team riding a hell of a lot of talent up front and a goalie who is getting hot at the right time. The Avs couldn't beat an "inferior" Sharks team (Well, that's what my friends who are Av fans were saying before the series... they're strangely silent now). In fact, with the exception of perhaps the Flyers, all the remaining teams are very similar. Just as well, I'd say only the Flyers now have the distinction of having hype and expectation as stressors now. The Lightening and Flames weren't even supposed to make the playoffs. The Sharks were supposed to be "one and done." Amazing playoffs this year.

It doesn't matter, in the long run, if the general public doesn't see what a could be a great series. Hockey coaches, GM's, scouts will all see it and hopefully copy the style. It would be one of the best things for hockey in attracting new fans. Casual fans like to see goals scored. They don't appreciate a defensive game or a stellar goaltender unless he is making hilight reel saves. And it feeds into the league wanting a kinder, gentler league. The Lightning were one of the least penalized teams in the regular season.

Great hockey traditions have to start somewhere.

BTW, who are the hockey Einsteins around here who picked the gay-ple-laffs to win the Cup in this thread?

Way to make a whole lot of sense there...I've had TB winning since the begining of the playoffs.

A Flames/Lightning Stanley Cup finals would be a great series to watch....no traps, just up and down offensive hockey. Wouldn't do much for the promotion of the sport in America, but I really think it'll be good for the sport in the long run...proving you don't have to run a trapping system to win a Stanley Cup.

Just remember, no matter how much you despise the Maple Leafs, they have one thing that the Flyers will never have: Status of being one of the original six. All the rest are just wannabes.

I'd say the Blackhawks have been in the 'wannabe' chair for an awful long time, and no offense goon but so have the bruins.

Save your wannabe statement for the Winnepeg Coyotes and the like.

A Flames/Lightning Stanley Cup finals would be a great series to watch....no traps, just up and down offensive hockey. Wouldn't do much for the promotion of the sport in America, but I really think it'll be good for the sport in the long run...proving you don't have to run a trapping system to win a Stanley Cup.

That poor cameraman is going to get a stiff neck from turning back and forth to follow the play. :D

San Jose and Tampa Bay are the two toughest teams this year. I thought the Av's would have a chance, but much like other teams we all know( in every league), they are powerful offensively but lack in defense. I don't know if they could have won with Roy in net, although I've heard this a million times, simply because they have a lot of struggling offensive players, and many lines of defensemen that can't get find the chemistry.

So, as I love to watch hockey and will never "hop" on the bandwagon, I will watch the rest of the year and honor the play of the winning team.

I love the Av's, much like I whole heartedly watch the Vikings and the Sioux, but I watch and follow out of tradition and pride, not because I want to be the "ultimate fan".

ONE THING I CAN SAY THIS YEAR IS THIS......THE NHL HAS MORE TALENTED PLAYERS NOW THAN I'VE EVER SEEN.....AND THE WAY THEY PLAY IS SECOND TO NONE!!!

I still don't like (similar to the WCHA) the 'clutch and grab' style I've seen! I think the ref's need to have a psych-eval during the preseason to weed out the pushovers!

That said......Good Luck to all fans of the NHL.....and let's hope the "lock-out" does nothing but good!

I dislike Kovalev because he is selfish and puts himself before the team with his actions. In the game against the Bruins it was bad enough he stopped trying to make the play but then he ran into his teammate preventing him from making the play. Then blamed his teammate instead of taking responsibility himself. I have no use for someone like that.

A player's skill means nothing if he has no heart, no work ethic and is not a team player.

I'd say the Blackhawks have been in the 'wannabe' chair for an awful long time, and no offense goon but so have the bruins.

Save your wannabe statement for the Winnepeg Coyotes and the like.

I guess I should have been more specific. Toronto, Boston, Chicago, New York Rangers, Montreal, and Detroit were the original six members of the NHL. Even if Chicago or Boston never win another Stanley Cup or even a playoff game, they're still one of the original six. Therefore, my use of the term 'wannabe' is not a reflection on how good the teams are currently, but the status of seniority and prestige that goes with being one of the originals.

Just remember, no matter how much you despise the Maple Leafs, they have one thing that the Flyers will never have: Status of being one of the original six. All the rest are just wannabes.

Sounds like a fan who is mad his team is out of the playoffs.

I'm sure the Flyers, Lightning, Sharks, and Flames care more about winning a cup than being an original six team.

Sounds like a fan who is mad his team is out of the playoffs.

I'm sure the Flyers, Lightning, Sharks, and Flames care more about winning a cup than being an original six team.

Nope, disappointed, but it wasn't all that surprising that Detroit didn't win it. Sure, they won during the season but they didn't have the look of a championship team. I knew they wouldn't win the Cup when they had trouble with Nashville.

Of course, you're all going to think of this as making excuses, but I don't care.

With all due respect to everybody on this here board, i'm going with the Lighting because i'm from the Tampa Bay Area & I would love to see Calgary in the end because of Mike playing for them. Hey Ruffian thanks for the email & I will get back with you later on. So the battle for the cup begins today & I hope to see everybody there. In closing. GO LIGHTING

SIOUX FAN SINCE 1973

With all due respect to everybody on this here board, i'm going with the Lighting because i'm from the Tampa Bay Area & I would love to see Calgary in the end because of Mike playing for them. Hey Ruffian thanks for the email & I will get back with you later on. So the battle for the cup begins today & I hope to see everybody there. In closing. GO LIGHTING

SIOUX FAN SINCE 1973

Tampa Bay vs. Calgary/Sharks

Calgary or the Sharks, it makes no difference to me. On one hand, I'd prefer the Flames because of Commie and the fact that the team to knock out the Wings should go all the way. On the other hand, Nabakov has been, IMO, the best goaltender in the playoffs thus far (Kiprosoff a close second). Either way, I'd be happy.

Tampa wins it all.

i hope philly wins it all. if tampa wins thats bad for hockey. hockey in florida wow

Actually it may not be as bad for hockey as you think. Remember Tampa plays a offesive style similar to the Sioux. If an offensive team wins the Cup, it'll prove to a lot of young coaches that you don't need to run the trap, or a variation thereof, to win the Cup, thus opening up the game and creating more scoring. Which in turn makes the game more exciting and more people will watch. :D