SiouxSports.com Forum

They said that they had the money...

choyt3

Sicatoka.....unless you are on the inside knowing what is going on....dont comment on something you dont know about...and that is all i will say.....dont act like what you think you know is the way it is....thank you....

Hasn't this road been traveled once before but then regarding contracts and qualifications to read them? I seem to recall a conversation between you and PCM along those lines. Wasn't the resultant of that one don't "act like what you think you know is the way it is"?

Do you know I don't have an "inside"? Are you sure?

If it is the way you say, why not blow it wide open to Tom Dennis at the GF Herald? Why just dabble on an internet posting board?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know I don't have an "inside"? Are you sure? Could it be that you and I have a different understanding of the same matters?

If it is the way you say, why not blow it wide open to Tom Dennis at the GF Herald? Why just dabble on an internet posting board?

The question stands.

indulge me on your insight information.

You were the person who came here claiming to have inside information based on having read the REA contract. I asked you in private to "show your cards" and prove to me that you knew what you were talking about. You declined.

I know who the Sicatoka is. I know who he talks to. What he says makes sense. What you say doesn't. Who should I believe?

If this building doesn't prove UND SHOULD WIN EVERY GAME I don't know what does.

Bzzzzt. Sorry, The Answer, but apparently you don't know The Question. Please pick up a copy of the SiouxSports.com home game, practice up and come back when you can provide An Answer that actually relates to A Question being discussed here. :D

• 4 months later...
I think Strinden is just talking about the $110 million plus that was donated for the hockey arena. I don't think they have donated anything at all specifically for the Betty. And it looks as though they don't intend to ask the Engelstads to do so.

Maybe this is old news, but on the news tonight it said the Engelstad family donated all the money for The Betty.

Maybe this is old news, but on the news tonight it said the Engelstad family donated all the money for The Betty.

Don't think that's true. When the arena was announced, REA officials said it would be payed for entirely with revenues from the Ralph and "anticipated" revenues from basketball. We'll probably never know if the Engelstad family kicked in any money for it but they certainly didn't pay for it all. I do know an alumni funddrive payed for the upgrade to leather seats - a nice addition than was not planned for in the original layout.

Two reasons that I believe address the need for a weightroom in the Betty:

1) The existing weghtroom is for hockey, I don't think it was meant to be "shared".

2) Logistically, the hockey weightroom is a long ways from the locker rooms at the Betty.

Reason No. 1 far outweighs anything else - and probably appropriately so!

Don't think that's true. When the arena was announced, REA officials said it would be payed for entirely with revenues from the Ralph and "anticipated" revenues from basketball. We'll probably never know if the Engelstad family kicked in any money for it but they certainly didn't pay for it all. I do know an alumni funddrive payed for the upgrade to leather seats - a nice addition than was not planned for in the original layout.

Yeah...I'm going to believe the media on this one. The Engelstad Family is indeed paying for The Betty. As 'UND Fan' has also pointed out: The Engelstad family built us a tremendous hocky arena. The profits from the arena have helped fund all UND athletic programs - including the very expensive Women's program. Now they agreed to make the payments on a bond issue that will allow the UND BB and VB programs to have room to practice as well as play some games in a first class facility.

I am sure the fundraising is continuing, because fundraising frankly never ends. UND needs $100,00 to finish the weigh room and other "needs."

Yeah...I'm going to believe the media on this one. The Engelstad Family is indeed paying for The Betty. As 'UND Fan' has also pointed out: The Engelstad family built us a tremendous hocky arena. The profits from the arena have helped fund all UND athletic programs - including the very expensive Women's program. Now they agreed to make the payments on a bond issue that will allow the UND BB and VB programs to have room to practice as well as play some games in a first class facility.

I am sure the fundraising is continuing, because fundraising frankly never ends. UND needs $100,00 to finish the weigh room and other "needs."

got any proof that Betty "really" kicked in on her arena??? I don't...Owen Nitz is running Ralph's business end now (MAJOR Vegas TAN and all! - geez..he looks like a Soprano ??? )...he helped out TRF with another check for a "mere" $300,000 and an admonishment to "not ask for any more...". UND got the Ralph and a certain "manager" pushed the Betty forward from there (mostly to make his OWN name in my opinion but that's ANOTHER THREAD :( ) Fact is...we'll never know the true financial picture but the facilities are here., bought and (mostly) paid for...NOW..it's up to US to make them a success!

got any proof that Betty "really" kicked in on her arena??? I don't...

This probably isn't "proof" to you, but go to WDAZ.com click "Sioux Fans Tour the Betty Engelstad Center" (gotta do it quick before the link goes away) and at the end Lori Cowan will state: "The arena was built with a seven million dollar donation to UND from the Engelstad family."

Based on the press release from the Ralph, the Betty is almost certainly financed through profits from the main arena. UND received authorization from the state board to finance the Betty with bonds. Even Betty Engelstad's statement at the dedication reflect that profits from the Ralph made the BB/VB arena possible:

When Ralph and I announced our gift in 1998, we expressed our wish for our gift to benefit the University of North Dakota, the communities of Grand Forks/East Grand Forks, and the region as a whole. It is very gratifying to see how our original gift has made possible, another fine facility for the benefit of the University and the communities. Today, I am humbled and deeply honored to have the newest addition of the Ralph Engelstad Arena complex be named after myself and a sincere thank you for those who made this decision.

From: http://www.theralph.com/new2/Press_Releases/Aug242004.htm

WDAZ's statements were incorrect.

This probably isn't "proof" to you, but go to WDAZ.com click "Sioux Fans Tour the Betty Engelstad Center" (gotta do it quick before the link goes away) and at the end Lori Cowan will state: "The arena was built with a seven million dollar donation to UND from the Engelstad family."

that would be the first time the local media has made a mistake :p:):)