SiouxSports.com Forum

They said that they had the money...

choyt3

Sine the Betty was announced, all that I have heard is that it will be paid for by profits by the Ralph on a bond/loan/whatever that legal word is, that it will be paid for. From the get go, all I have heard is that it will be paid for by profits from the ralph and that they set aside up to 7 million for the arena. After that it is up to the school to finish it. Up until this last week I had not heard a single word about Betty Englestad paying for anything until the bison fans started spreading that rumor. As far as I have ever seen, it is being paid for by the Engelstad Corp(profits from the ralph). I know that there have been news stations that have "said" Betty paid for it, but since I heard about it from the get go, all I have heard is that it was paid for by profits from the Ralph.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if REA is making so much money for UND athletics, why did UND athletics have such a huge budget cut to MOST of their programs??? where is all this money going?? I thought that building this arena three years ago was going to take care of all of UND's athletic budgets....instead budgets are lower than they were in 1992!!! explanation???

if REA is making so  much money for UND athletics, why did UND athletics have such a huge budget cut to MOST of their programs??? where is all this money going??  I thought that building this arena three years ago was going to take care of all of UND's athletic budgets....instead budgets are lower than they were in 1992!!! explanation???

From the IAC minutes:

Areas that impacted the growth in expenses are increases in tuition, the number of scholarships, game management (guarantees), and league fees for women’s hockey.  ...  Ray Diez said travel expenses would also be higher.

Consider just the guarantees required for four out-of-conference football games: probably in the neighborhood of $50 K/game. Just four years ago with a ten-team NCC, only one OOC game was required. The upgrade in OOC football competition and smaller NCC is costing in the neighborhood of $150-200 K this season, as fans demanded no more Moorheads, Bemidjis or Crookstons, which could be "bought" at $5K game. Basketball also has some of the same issues with the smaller NCC, and decent OOC games were a must this year with the opening of the Betty. The smaller NCC has also increased the travel budget. Throw in more and higher scholarship costs (16% tuition increase) (probably $250 K) and women's hockey league fees (no idea), the total expenses increase over a year ago are probably approaching a half a million.

If attendance at the Betty is high, and the World Juniors pays big dividends to the REA, the purse strings will probably open up more for non-revenue sports.