SiouxSports.com Forum

NDAC's ideas for the future of the Nickel Trophy..

Nodakstud

PS - The Sioux hockey team made the NCAA Division I National Quarterfinals and lost to the eventual National Champion. Trust me, NDSU won't be associated with the phrase "made the NCAA Division I National Quarterfinals and lost to the eventual National Champion" for quite a while.
If there were only 60 football teams then NDSU would have made the national semi's too!

Your going because you are a "football power". Nothing wrong with that, I mean, look how well your football team did this year to show for it. Oh yeah...

Like i've said a number of times before, NDSU is moving up because we're upgrading our whole university. More research dollars, more majors, higher competition for athletics, etc.

I'm not ashamed to say that UND is at that same level and yet is going to be left at the wayside as one of those D2 public schools in in the upper midwest (you know, Moorhead State, MN-Crookston, etc) because they can't afford it/are too scared to put the comittment forth.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there were only 60 football teams then NDSU would have made the national semi's too!
If I remember correctly, you have to MAKE the NCAA playoffs in a sport before you say that you would have make it to the quarter finals.

So you're saying you have enough money to go D1aa but simply choose to ignore your alumni and student body who want to go D1aa? No, that is illogical.

You can't afford it because of hockey. Nothing wrong with that, i mean, look how well your hockey team did this year to show for it. Oh yeah...

At this point I don't think there is a large number of UND alumni and fans that are demanding to go DI-AA. I don't know of any, maybe in 5 years is what I've heard most of the time. Also, I'll bet anything our 2 DI teams will win more national titles in the next 10 years then all of your DI teams. Remember football is DI-AA, not DI, and that is your BIG sport. Right?

Seriously, that story made me a little hot, seeing football players like Digger, Kleinsasser, Phil Hansen, Tony Satter etc raise that trophy is one thing, I think watching five 130 lb kids trying to raise that thing after raising $50 in nickels would make me puke.

Hey now, there are some 225 pound members of the Blue Key Club at NDSU...too bad they are all women....

Seriously, that story made me a little hot, seeing football players like Digger, Kleinsasser, Phil Hansen, Tony Satter etc raise that trophy is one thing, I think watching five 130 lb kids trying to raise that thing after raising $50 in nickels would make me puke.

I definitely agree with you on that point. Seeing all the past/present UND and NDSU football players hoist the nickel above their heads is something we are going to miss, but I don't want to see the nickel and battle for it be cheapened by some stupid contest.

lol, if the roles were reversed all the UND fans would sing quite the opposite tune.

I'm sure, and I would fully expect NDSU fans and admin to take the exact same stance UND has had they won the last game. That only proves how idiotic your Glee Club is in its suggestion to use the Nickel, no real fan who understands what the Nickel really means on either side is in favor of it.

What it "really" means is subjective. The law isn't. The lawful owners of the nickel are the Blue Key and they can do with it as they please.

However, I really doubt it would come down to a court case. If it did, UND would lose.

I graduated from SU, grew up in GF and love both the schools. (The Sioux a bit more of course)

I completely disagree with the Blue-Key Ownership stance.

If ownership is the issue, the state of north dakota and its citizens own it. Therefore, it goes to a place, where everyone can relish in its history. Not prostituted by a group that originally came forth to recognize something very important about the two schools and their past, present, and future.

If the future is uncertain, as it has always been about who would own it the 'next' year, then leave it's future just as uncertain now. I think it would be naive of any of us to believe these two teams will never play again! UND played the Jayhawks because of one North Dakota kid.

This rivalry is special for it's memories and it's hopes don't take away from that and people will never forget what it has meant and still does. They will play again.

I am unaware of any regulations on the Nickels' award conditions, so if you know otherwise please enlighten me on the "UND would lose" comment.

What it "really" means is subjective. The law isn't. The lawful owners of the nickel are the Blue Key and they can do with it as they please.

However, I really doubt it would come down to a court case. If it did, UND would lose.

Even IF ndsu "won" the Nickel in a lawsuit, how proud would your student body be? "Hey guys, we couldn't beat UND in the last football game before we moved to DI-AA, but we got the trophy back in court." ;)

I'm guessing your student body would be very proud of the trophy won in a lawsuit unlike on the field where men won it. Bison Pride :D

Also, didn't a UND grad donate the trophy? Why do Bison fans think the Blue Key owns the trophy? When the Blue Key dissolved at UND our Student Government took over rightful ownership.

I'm guessing your student body would be very proud of the trophy won in a lawsuit unlike on the field where men won it. Bison Pride :D

By the time a court case was resolved, there would not be any students on either campus that would remember or care what a Nickel Trophy is, or a Bison/UND game was like.

That's fine.

The rivalry is going to be over for a long time. Perhaps someday the NCAA will reorganize itself and UND and NDSU will be in the same division again by default.

Like i said, most people in the state of ND have forgotten about the nickel and are very excited to see it's D1 school take on the rest of the D1 nation.

Like i said, most people in the state of ND have forgotten about the nickel and are very excited to see it's D1 school take on the rest of the D1 nation.

It looks like UND and NDSU haven't forgot about it, otherwise the issue would have been dead the day the season was over.

Good luch against D1 apponents, you're going to need it. Also, DI-AA football is not DI. When you are playing legit DI opponents, let me know.

Good luch against D1 apponents, you're going to need it. Also, DI-AA football is not DI. When you are playing legit DI opponents, let me know.

NDSU will be a I-AA school according to the NCAA, and participating in 13 Divison I sports.

UND will be a DII school according to the NCAA, and participating in 2 Divison I sports.

Next DI opponent is Minnesota on 4/21 (I am sure you have heard of Minnesota in Hockey). Only 13 DI schools play hockey.

No, BisonMav, you misintrepret the NCAA classification system. Division I is Division I; the A/AA/AAA only applies in football conversations. Thus, 33 DI schools play ice hockey (including Minnesota, Maine, and Denver, namely a IA, a IAA, and a IAAA). DI-AA is DI, DI small-ball football.

By the letter of the NCAA law, during this transition year, NDSU is still a DII. Yes, they're playing Minnesota in baseball on that date. Seen the UND swimming and diving schedule? Many occurances of a DII competing against DIs.

But then again, I'm forced to ask:

Don't you high-falootin' DI types have better things to do than play here with a lil' ol' DII school?

Next DI opponent is Minnesota on 4/21 (I am sure you have heard of Minnesota in Hockey). Only 13 DI schools play hockey.

We played Kansas, you know Kansas basketball a couple of years back. We didn't consider ourselves D1 in basketball after that however. BTW what DI powerhouses will your basketball be playing next year? Still selling Fargo the idea that Duke is coming to town? :D

No, BisonMav, you misintrepret the NCAA classification system. Division I is Division I; the A/AA/AAA only applies in football conversations. Thus, 33 DI schools play ice hockey (including Minnesota, Maine, and Denver, namely a IA, a IAA, and a IAAA). DI-AA is DI, DI small-ball football.

By the letter of the NCAA law, during this transition year, NDSU is still a DII. Yes, they're playing Minnesota in baseball on that date. Seen the UND swimming and diving schedule? Many occurances of a DII competing against DIs.

Don't you high-falootin' DI types have better things to do than play here with a lil' ol' DII school?

Thus, 33 DI schools play ice hockey (including Minnesota, Maine, and Denver, namely a IA, a IAA, and a IAAA).

And UND isn't one of them. They are a D2 school who play in the scholorship-giving division of ice hockey.

Thus NDSU will be a Divison I school, and I-AA in football.