SiouxSports.com Forum

NDAC's ideas for the future of the Nickel Trophy..

Nodakstud

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bisonguy,

You keep telling yourselves that if it makes you feel better. While I watch D1 football and teams like Nebraska and Florida St. on Television. As far as the other programs at NDSU, Good Luck, I could actually see myself attending some of those events. :D Unfortunately I think it will be short lived for some of the lesser sports(especially men's)--seems to be a trend in 1AA programs that many varsity sports seem to disappear over time. ;)

Bisonguy,

You keep telling yourselves that if it makes you feel better.  While I watch D1 football and teams like Nebraska and Florida St. on Television.  As far as the other programs at NDSU, Good Luck, I could actually see myself attending some of those events. :D  Unfortunately I think it will be short lived for some of the lesser sports(especially men's)--seems to be a trend in 1AA programs that many varsity sports seem to disappear over time. ;)

Keep telling yourself that 1+1=2 if it makes you feel better. Oh wait...it's a fact, just like D1 having 3 subclassifications (1A for 85 full scholly football, 1AA for 65 scholly football, and 1AAA for no football).

I'll be the first to agree that 1AA is not the highest competition level in D1 football. That's just what we were looking for. It should also show you something that the NCAA takes football so seriously that it would divid D1 in order to accommodate different athletic programs for their level of football. Not so with ice hockey (either you're a scholarship team D1 or a non-scholarship team D3).

It should also show you something that the NCAA takes football so seriously that it would divid D1 in order to accommodate different athletic programs for their level of football. Not so with ice hockey (either you're a scholarship team D1 or a non-scholarship team D3).

It takes football so seriously it doesn't even sponsor a championship at the highest level. :D

Not so with ice hockey (either you're a scholarship team D1 or a non-scholarship team D3).

WRONG. Harvard, and the other Ivys, all DI schools, do not offer hockey scholarships and they play DI hockey.

And the DI-AA football scholarship limit is 63.

It should also show you something that the NCAA takes football so seriously that it would divid D1 in order to accommodate different athletic programs for their level of football.

Really? Were you aware that one third of all the schools that play I-AA football don't offer scholarships?

Patriot League

that's a debate unto itself, non-scholarship but they do give financial aid based on athletic ability, according to some news articles Colgate (who made the championship game) gave the equivalent of about 55 scholie in aid to athletes.

that's a debate unto itself, non-scholarship but they do give financial aid based on athletic ability, according to some news articles Colgate (who made the championship game) gave the equivalent of about 55 scholie in aid to athletes.

The Ivy League schools do the same thing, it is called a Grant-In-Aid, and a student-athlete signs one much in the same way they sign a letter-of-intent. However, in the NCAA's eyes, it is not an athletic tender, it's like an academic scholarship. So, by law, they are a non-scholarship league.

WRONG. Harvard, and the other Ivys, all DI schools, do not offer hockey scholarships and they play DI hockey.

And the DI-AA football scholarship limit is 63.

Interesting, so you're confirming that a D1aa football school is, in fact, a D1 school. Thanks for clearing that up.

However, what i meant to say was that ice hockey has 2 divisions: 1 where you can offer scholarships and 1 where you can't.

I was wrong, I think. I got to wondering about the Patriot and this is what I found. Patriot League rules If you go to page 36 toward the top it says football players cannot receive aid above need-based aid. But then it says (at least how I understand it) that if a football player does receive aid above need, it has to be reported bi-annually.

So I apologize for that error, but since we're way off topic nobody probably cares that much anyway.

Interesting, so you're confirming that a D1aa football school is, in fact, a D1 school. Thanks for clearing that up.

Look back; did I ever say it wasn't? What I said was DI-AA is "DI small-ball football."

Good golly, even MSU-Mankato and UM-Crooston offer football scholarships, but, more than a quarter, approaching a third, of DI-AA "football" schools don't give athletic scholarships. There's a "competitive upgrade" indeed. :D

What the Patriot League does with grants-in-aid is the same as what the NE 10 does in D2 and what D3 schools do. It's still non-scholarship football. Some of the NE 10 schools give out alot of money with grants-in-aid like Colgate goes, but no one is going to accuse that conference of being a powerhouse.

Take note of the 1st 2 sentences of the 2nd paragraph, evidently it is UND's fault :D .  Other then that, it is right on.

UND ended the rivalry because NDSU football is moving to Division IAA.

Note to the Forum's editorial board:

ndsu_killed_it.jpg

Man, do you guys ever get the feeling that NDSU is as desperate as a one-legged sailor with a 1 hour shoreleave to get laid to play you guys again??? ;):D;)

I should say NOT........

UND ended the rivalry because NDSU football is moving to Division IAA.

Profound quote :lol:

Sorry DaveK, the nickel only belongs to the Sioux in the context of the rivalry game. That game is no more so the nickel defaults back to the original owners: the Blue Key. Since the BK only exists at NDSU, they will decide what to do with it.

You wish. :D

Sorry DaveK, the nickel only belongs to the Sioux in the context of the rivalry game. That game is no more so the nickel defaults back to the original owners: the Blue Key. Since the BK only exists at NDSU, they will decide what to do with it.

BAAAHHHHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! :D;);) What a dreamer...

You might need to saddle up and come and get it, cuz it belongs to UND period and, in the words of Charlton Heston "Out of our cold, dead hands..."

Maybe the solution to this is for the NDSU football team and the BK Club to make up a new trophy, say the Chicken.... Then they could play flag football for it twice a year....