SiouxSports.com Forum

Following UND's recruits

jk

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kyle Radke is having one heck of a postseason with Grande Prairie. His team lost 4-3 in 2 OTs last night to Ft. McMurray, and now leads the series 3-1 in games. Radke had a 1-2-3 line last night, and has contributed regularly to the scoresheet. Also having a strong postseason is his teammate Scott McCullough, a CC recruit.

While listening to the Nanaimo/Salmon Arm series, I kept hearing a Nanaimo player named "LaFabe" feature prominently in the play. It turns out that Blair Lefebvre has a 1/83 birthdate, which makes him nearly three years older than Drew Stafford. Lefebvre's linemate Mulock is also a 1/83. While all junior teams have older players, including Salmon Arm, it is notable that the two key players on Salmon Arm's top line have 5/85 (Zajac) and 3/86 (Chucko) birthdates.

All is fair as long as it is within the rules, so congrats to Nanaimo on the BCHL championship. But it helps to explain to me why Salmon Arm had such trouble with Nanaimo.

It also is a reminder of just how young Drew Stafford is. He will again be the youngest player on UND's roster next season. The next youngest players will be Zajac and Radke, who share the same birthdate - 5/13/85.

The next youngest players will be Zajac and Radke, who share the same birthdate - 5/13/85.

Better yet? Matt Greene's DOB: 5/13/83. There are three "May 13th" birthdays on one roster.

And as far as "young guys," that stallwart, dependable defenseman, the long-in-the-tooth, go-to guy, the senior this fall, Matt Jones, doesn't turn 21 until August. Robbie Bina and Matt Greene are older.

Thanks, Bubz. I'm anxious to see how Spirko adjusts to the size and speed of the WCHA's players.

Also, Grande Prairie won the AJHL playoff title last night, scoring three goals in the last ten minutes to win the game 4-2, and the series 4-1. CC recruit McCullough was named playoff MVP. Congrats to Grande Prairie and Kyle Radke and good luck in the Royal Bank Cup.

Game 2

Slav = PP GWG

Storm beat the Muskies 5-2, in one of the most dirtiest games of the year tonight.

Sioux City 22 minutes on 11 Tri-City 20 minutes on 10, but Croft didn't call $#!+. I know play-off hockey is a little lax on penalties, but this guy has no clue.

Ref Ian Croft, hopefully he never makes the next level.

Game 1 article

GP's Doyle Cup schedule (a funky way to schedule a series):

The Doyle Cup championship between the Grande Prairie Storm and Nanaimo Clippers will open in Grande Prairie on Tuesday, April 20. The best-of-seven series will continue in Grande Prairie for Game 2 on Wednesday, April 21. A third game will be played in Grande Prairie on Thursday, April 22 if the first two games are split. After the two, or three, Grande Prairie games the series switches to Nanaimo for all remaining games. All games in the series will be played at 7:30 p.m.

The Storm defeated the Fort McMurray Oil Barons in five games to win the Alberta Junior Hockey League championship while the Clippers took out the Salmon Arm Silverbacks in the same amount of games in the British Columbia Junior Hockey League final.

Because the Storm is guaranteed a spot in the Royal Bank Cup May 8-16 in Grande Prairie, the Clippers receive a spot in the national tournament no matter what the outcome of the Doyle Cup.

While listening to the Nanaimo/Salmon Arm series, I kept hearing a Nanaimo player named "LaFabe" feature prominently in the play. It turns out that Blair Lefebvre has a 1/83 birthdate, which makes him nearly three years older than Drew Stafford.

Thought I would pass on that Mr. Lefebvre committed to UMD over the weekend. Congrats to him and to UMD.

Don't know if this qualifies as a "recruit" but I hear that former Mr. Hockey from Grafton, Drew Sando, is going to walk-on next year.

Anyone confirm that?

I have not heard anything. Sando did have a good year considering he was on the worse team in the USHL - Sioux Falls. 26 pts in 55 games and a -15. The -15 was actually better than most of his teamates, Sioux Falls only won 15 games all year. Next year is already going to be crowded, but a little competition for playing time never hurts.

Spirko and the Tri City Storm advance to the Clark Cup finals.

TC beat Sioux City 3 games to 1

Slav had an assist in the 2-1 loss on Thurday.

The Storm beat the Muskies 2-0 on Friday to wrap the series.

Thurs., April 29 -- Waterloo at Tri-City, 7:05 p.m.

Fri., April 30 -- Waterloo at Tri-City, 7:05 p.m.

Tues., May 4 -- Tri-City at Waterloo, 7:05 p.m.

** Wed., May 5 -- Tri-City at Waterloo, 7:05 p.m.

** Fri., May 7 -- Waterloo at Tri-City, 7:05 p.m.

In other action, Nainamo defeated the Storm last night 3-0, to take a 3-1 series lead with game 5 tonight. In the game Nainamo captain Olson was given a match penalty for biting a Storm player in an altercation (Clements). Nainamo coaches are claiming that the bite was self-inflicted. Interesting.

http://www.gpstorm.com/