SiouxSports.com Forum

Good news from Wisconsin

PCM

CNN is reporting that missing University of Wisconsin student Audrey Seiler has been found alive and well.

MADISON, Wisconsin (AP) -- A missing University of Wisconsin student was found alive Wednesday, four days after she vanished from her off-campus apartment without a coat or purse, according to a news report.

Madison police would not immediately confirm they had located Audrey Seiler, 20, but officer Chris Paulson told her friends and family that Seiler "is fine," the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reported on its Web site.

I hope I'm wrong, and I'll feel like an a-hole if I am, but something stinks about this case. Sounds like some kind of attention seeking stunt on her part.

There is something about this case that doesn't seem quite right.

There is something about this case that doesn't seem quite right.

I'm certainly glad to see her unharmed and am thrilled for her family and friends. However, a big part of why this story broke nationally was the mystery of what she was doing leaving her apartment through the front door alone at 2:30am wearing sleep clothes, without keys, without closing her apartment, etc... it not feeling right from the beginning was why it was big news.

That all suggests that the alleged abducter was someone who knew her, right? If the cops know the identity of their suspect, why not release a name like most manhunts do? It's not like he doesn't know he's being hunted (the usual reason for not releasing a name). Where's the composite sketch? (they now claim one may come this afternoon). Why release her if her abductor is still at large with weapons in hand? Why not warn the community if this dangerous guy is at large with weapons? How was she walking alone on John Nolen Ave? (released, escaped?) Where was she held captive and why haven't we seen news cameras surrounding that place yet?

This could really go one of two ways -- the Madison police are behaving strangely because they're not used to dealing with highly publicized cases of this nature; or, the Madison police are doing a poor job of covering something up.

The police have to investigate the case as if she was abducted, but I would be surprised if this turns out to more than a cry for attention on her part. This and the Feb. event fit no MO I've ever heard of. She claims her abductor forced out to this place, that she was familiar with, but she doesn't seek help after he leaves? ;) Looks like they are releasing more info at 4:30.

I live in Wisconsin and talk around here is that she made it up. Things don't add up right. Too many inconsistencies.

You'd also think that if they were really worried about the guy kidnapping again, they would have released the sketch sooner. If she is lying, poor guy who looks like the sketch.

Fox Article

She has no history of mental illness. Sounds like it was just for attention. Obviously 'normal' people don't do things like this so they will find something wrong with her, probably borderline. Insanity defense will not work, according to the article she planned the entire thing out a few weeks in advance. She was obviously very aware of her actions. I hope they prosecute her, the biggest damage done is the fact future stories like hers may not draw the media attention for fear of being duped again.

I find myself wondering if it wasn't some sort of "get rich quick" scheme. Maybe she thought that she'd become famous and could sell her life story. I wonder if we'll ever find out what was going on in her head.

I say good...and too bad they are only misdemeanor charges....people who do these kind of things only cheapen real crimes like the REAL abduction and murder of Dru Sjodin...maybe she should have to leave her cushy "mental" hospital and slog around the banks of the Red looking for Dru's body for a couple days...might change her whole "outlook" on life

• 2 months later...

The verdict is in:

• 3-years probation
  • Restitution to MPD: $250 a month during probation. If she gets a job earning more than $20,000 a year, she must pay $400 a month through her probation period.
  • She must not commit anymore crimes during probation.
  • She must continue to seek mental health help.