SiouxSports.com Forum

2002-2003 Roster

The Sicatoka

I'm personally not going to get too worked up about weight as listed on a roster. I'm guessing the measurements weren't taken by Central Scouting. They could even have been taken like this: "OK, Ryan, what do you want to be listed as?" "How about 220." "OK."

But who knows.

According to the new roster, the returning players gained a total of 140 pounds. This averages 7 pounds per returning player. Obviously, I doubt the roster is 100% accurate as there is probably some exaggerating going on. But if a small player like Palmiscno could put down whatever weight he wanted, why would he report a 5 pound loss? Perhaps the roster is somewhat accurate...or perhaps some players choose to fib on their weight and others choose to report exactly what it is. IMO, not a big deal either way...just something interesting to talk about.

No kidding...Spiewak is up to 200 pounds?! Not to mention the Hale brothers packing on 10-20 lbs more than they were listed the last couple years. I can't wait for the season to start!

Forecheck,

I saw David Hale at the golf course, earlier about four weeks back and he is a big as some of the guys that play line backer at UND, he is an opposing force if you know what I mean. Looks like he had been lifting some weights and getting into playing shape. Gophers beware.

The size increase doesn't suprise me. I know that there are a few players attending a camp that my roommate is one of the speed and strength guys. He also said that Ryan Bayda was there working out with a few guys from UND. So that is good. This camp has produced results. And these guys are skating with quite a few NHL players so that will be some good ice time.

Also, does anyone know what happened with Trevor Bayda???

And these guys are skating with quite a few NHL players so that will be some good ice time.

Completely off topic - last year when I took a tour of the arena, the guide commented that they were hoping that their training facilities would entice an NHL team to camp there and even if they couldn't get one, they expected a large number of NHL players to spend time in Grand Forks over the summer.

I know the Wild are (is?) considering using REA as their training camp in the future but for this summer, were they any pros using the facilities besides recent UND grads? Any names?

Completely off topic - last year when I took a tour of the arena, the guide commented that they were hoping that their training facilities would entice an NHL team to camp there and even if they couldn't get one, they expected a large number of NHL players to spend time in Grand Forks over the summer.

I know the Wild are (is?) considering using REA as their training camp in the future but for this summer, were they any pros using the facilities besides recent UND grads? Any names?

I suppose Grand Forks is a good place to train and get away from all of the distractions of the bigger cities, and the facilities are awesome. I have heard that most pro teams facilities aren't as good as the ralphs. I would love to see the wild up here training. I hoping I get back to Grand Forks this fall in time to see the ex-hibition game...

Passing thoughts reading through the roster:

Porcupine, Onterio. Yagatta lovit.

More players from Alaska or Illinois or Colorado than Alberta. I'd have lost money on that bet a couple of years back. Heck, there are as many from Michigan as Alberta on that roster!

Mr. Greene is wearing #2. That's a tough one to lug around given one of your coaches, and some in the past (Al Hangsleben I believe), who wore it.

There are a lot of 2s on that roster .... 220 .... 215 .... 218 .... 224. No need to ask, "Where's the beef?" ;)

Is Colby Genoway really up to 200 pounds? And Spiewak too? Not one, but two 200 pound centers? Add to that Massen and Ryan Hale each over 215 on the wing ....

All of those 2s make me wonder about team speed at this point. I remember some DU and Wisconsin teams that were big and slow. I hope that's not the case here.

David Hale, Jones, Schneider, Greene: All over 6'0" and 215.

Who would have believed that 6'1" or 6'2" and 196 or 197 pounds or wouldn't get into the group of the four largest defensemen? At 5'11" and 185, Chris Leinweber almost sounds ..... small. ;)

I believe those numbers, at least for the Hales. When I saw them they looked it.

Spiewak came in at 200# and was going to play at that weight.

He felt that it was better for the team to be faster than last year,

so he dropped 5# and plans on playing at 195.

Most of the vets have spent the summer in GF. I think you are seeing the results of the excellent facilities available to them at the Ralph.

Season is getting closer. Can't wait.

All of those 2s make me wonder about team speed at this point. I remember some DU and Wisconsin teams that were big and slow. I hope that's not the case here.

Sicatoka, I have to ask the same question. Of course, Parise might bring some zip, and Brady Murray is going to bring some good speed too. But who else on the roster can fly besides Connelly? I'm not counting Spiewak and Notermann because they are seniors this year and I am talking about the future.

Speed used to kill at UND, but now it starts to look like we want to blungeon the opposition to death. Now, at this point I am not complaining, but it does seem that the complexion of the team is changing.

Speed used to kill at UND, but now it starts to look like we want to blungeon the opposition to death. Now, at this point I am not complaining, but it does seem that the complexion of the team is changing.

Speek kills but you can't have a whole team of speed demons either. Speiwak and Noterman can both fly (Kevin has always been a good skater), Fyling can fly if he can break the line up will be another thing, Cannady seems to be a good skater too. I Think there will be a good mix of speed and Blungeoning the opposition to death will be fun to watch I won't complain...

I don't know if I would put Canady in the same speed column as Notermann, Spiewak, or Connelly, although he does work hard.

I don't see the team slowing down considerably by gaining some more muscle, especially when it seems like it's mostly the big guys just getting bigger. (Hales, Jones, Schneider) I would bet half of Spiewak's weight is in his legs anyway, the way that kid can fly. ;)

I think the people I'm happiest about putting on a few pounds, assuming they are accurate of course, are Fournier (177), Fylling (188), Fuher (196), and Lundbohm (194).

I just can't believe we have to wait until October 22 for the first home game! Last year the first home game was in September. ;)

blurb from the "notebook" section of the Herald today:

Posted on Thu, Aug. 15, 2002

LOCAL CLIPBOARD

HOCKEY

Parise shines

at evaluation camp

LAKE PLACID, N.Y. - Incoming UND freshman Zach Parise tied for his team lead in goals during the U.S. National Junior evaluation camp that concluded last weekend at the Olympic Center.

In four games with Team USA White, Parise had three goals to tie Brett Sterling for most goals. Current Sioux defenseman Matt Jones, on the same team, registered two penalties for four minutes in his four games.

Parise's three goals tied for the most in the tournament among the three teams competing. Parise is a former Fairbault (Minn.) Shattuck-St. Mary's star.

Matt Gens, a St. Cloud State defenseman from Baudette, Minn., had three assists in four games for Team USA White.