SiouxSports.com Forum

The Man in the White Cowboy Hat

PHE

Prior to this past year's final game vs. the Gophers I went down to ice level during warmups. There was a gentleman in a white cowboy hat who was emphatically trying to fire up the Sioux. He was clearly a big (and probably long-time) booster of Sioux hockey. He looked like an instructor (insurance class) I had at UND in the early '80s.

Anybody know his name?

YaneA,

That's the name. Thanks. He seems like your classic bleed-green Sioux fan. He's the type who would travel to Anchorage to cheer on the Sioux.

I wonder how many hockey players he had in his classes over the years. Do you suppose they all received A's? ;)

The bus trips are one hell of a trip! I decided to go to Duluth with them as a last minute decision this last season, with the help of YaneA ;). I just needed to see some hockey. As the youngest person on the bus by a little over 70 years, I, as the "Rookie", was told that I had to refill my glass everytime the pitcher of keg beer came around. Then came the mudslides. Oh, did I mention the gambling for quarters? ;) I was smashed by the time we stopped for lunch. Fun, fun, fun people who love Sioux sports, and I was "adopted" by a couple of them. I definitely plan on going again some time and taking some friends with.

I believe Al is originally from Thunder Bay. UND should put a "Al Pearson Highlite Real" together. They should also have his picture in the arena. Al is the only person who's had to sit out more games than Jim Archibauld. Not only did he have to sit them out, he wasn't even allowed to be in the arena. I believe it was the WCHA that suspended him. Watching the POI Police carry him up the Mariucci steps was classic. Al put up a good fight though, I believe it took 3 of Mariucci's finest to get him out. Now that the WCHA has relaxed it's One, Two, Three strikes your out rules, I don't think we'll see opposing fans taking liberties with any of the small, quick Sioux fans. If they do, they will have to answer to Al. ;)

I believe it was the 1999 WCHA Final Five (it was at Target Center) where the cops tried to remove Al from the arena.

I'd never seen cops/security get boo-ed so hard. I was worried .... for them. ;)

The best part: It wasn't just Sioux fans giving security the noise! The CC fans behind them were REALLY giving it to them! That whole end of the arena was watching that more than the game!

Yeah,

I was sitting a couple rows away at the Target Center and it looked like Al told the rent-a-cop to f*** off when they asked him to leave. He was back in his seat shortly after he left... Must have ditched the cops on the concourse ;)