SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU schedule

mustangfan

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok,

so please tell me its not true that ndsu has scheduled Montana Tech for football. I realize that we are supposed to be hush-hush about ndsu, and stop being in childish arguments that can go on forever. but with all due respect to the admins on this board, this can not go without some ribbing. look how long ndsu fans have been trashing our schedule for football, and how they have been saying they dont want to be associated with the "crookston's" of d2 football. then they go and schedule an NAIA team? i am at a loss for words, and am really laughing hard inside if this is the case. if it isnt true, then i apologize for even posting on it. NAIA?? lmao!! ;)

OK, threads joined together.

I guess the point I wanted to make is there's a difference between a new thread beginning with "haha xxx sucks", which is a troll thread that would be closed regardless of who "xxx" is; and a legitimate discussion of an opponent's schedule. As I indicated previously, NDSU's schedule is a fine topic for discussion.

FYI, here it is (from the Forum):

Aug. 28 -- Valparaiso (tentative).

Sept. 4 -- at Northern Colorado

Sept. 11 -- Montana Tech.

Oct. 2 -- at Nicholls State.

Oct. 9 -- at South Dakota State.

Oct. 16 -- Southern Utah (Homecoming).

Oct. 23 -- California Poly.

Oct. 30 -- Northwestern Louisiana (Harvest Bowl).

Nov. 6 -- at Weber State.

Nov. 13 -- at California Davis.

It would be pretty silly for me to come on here and defend Montana Tech. But to tell you the truth, after looking at UNC's schedule last year I was afraid our home schedule would be filled with Montana Tech's. Also, it's not uncommon for I-AA teams to play DII and NAIA teams. I believe Montana State is playing two RMAC teams and Idaho State is playing Carroll (same conference as Montana Tech). So overall, I am extremely happy with the schedule as a whole and I think Gene Taylor did yeoman's work getting this schedule together.

Is Valpo a non-scholarship program? I believe they are, but I'm not sure. I imagine the NDSU schedule will be far better next year, but I would have to think that most reasonable Bison fans would have to acknowledge that having a four game home schedule which includes a non-scholarship program and an NAIA school (which plays at the same level as the DAC-10?) is something of a disappointment. The road schedule is fine, but I would think they were at least hoping for some decent dII opponents for home games as opposed to NAIA or Valpo-like opponents.

Valpo is non-scholly, but they are a very good non-scholly. They're usually in contention for the Pioneer League championship and I think they are generally considered to be around the middle of the pack as far as I-AA teams go. I think what helps with Valpo is they have decent name recognition because of their basketball success. I can't speak for other Bison fans, but I honestly wasn't expecting any I-AA games at home so overall I'm happy with the schedule. Also, if the Valpo game works out that will be five home games.

legend334 Posted on: Jan 21 2004, 10:28 AM

Replies: 0

Views: 162  This is so funny I cant even stand it, how big time is NDSU now, one home game....no gate revenue this year BISON....way to go.......

5 home games, 4 against I-AA teams is better than expected. Montana Tech and Valpo scores should be comparable to the Concordia St Paul score.

Valpo is non-scholly, but they are a very good non-scholly.  They're usually in contention for the Pioneer League championship and I think they are generally considered to be around the middle of the pack as far as I-AA teams go.  I think what helps with Valpo is they have decent name recognition because of their basketball success.  I can't speak for other Bison fans, but I honestly wasn't expecting any I-AA games at home so overall I'm happy with the schedule.  Also, if the Valpo game works out that will be five home games.

Sorry, I seem to have lost the ability to count. ;) Regarding Valpo, the good news is that they were ranked higher than St. Mary's by Dunkel. The bad news is that they were ranked 86th out of 121 I-AA teams, and lost 34-0 to one of the few scholarship programs they played (Murray St.).

I wasn't trying to mislead anyone by saying that I thought Valpo was a middle of the pack I-AA team. I was just offerring my opinion and didn't use any of the ratings services you guys quoted. It doen't surprise me Montana Tech is rated close to Crookston, as I figured they would be comparable to a lower tier NSIC team. Legend, I don't know how many times I have to say this. I cannot speak for the NDSU administration or other Bison fans. I personally am very happy with the schedule. This year filling out a schedule is extremely difficult, and I will be disappointed if the schedule doesn't get better in 05. But we should have SDSU, UNC, and UC-Davis at home, which is already a fantastic home slate.

concordia st paul...compariable to valpo and montana tech??? where do you come up with that??? are you kidding me bisonmav???

I did say the scores. NDSU beat Concordia-St Paul 58-24, I would expect a similar score vs Montana Tech and Valpo.

I am happy with the schedule...given the first year at D1AA, it will be a lot of fun and finally I will have some games I can easily attend (Weber and UNC). Montana Tech is just a filler for the first year. It won't be much of a game, but then again this is the first year in D1AA and I find the schedule much better than I anticipated. Good job by Taylor!

well, no need in un-banning JBB for this thread(not that i really wanted you to anyways, or that you really would have). i took the liberty of going to bisonville to comment on it, and who was the first person to reply to me? JBB. i love it, its humorous. feel free to check it out and add your thoughts if you like. its under the football topic, "2004 Schedule". if nothing else, its a good laugh to brighten your day. :lol:

I have to give the Bison fans credit fot one thing...and that is that they can spin anything and make themselves believe that this schedule is a good thing. For anyone who even caually looks in at the bisonville board, this schedule goes against everything they had said in the past. They would be better off just admitting it sucks and move on.

well, no need in un-banning JBB for this thread(not that i really wanted you to anyways, or that you really would have). i took the liberty of going to bisonville to comment on it, and who was the first person to reply to me? JBB. i love it, its humorous. feel free to check it out and add your thoughts if you like. its under the football topic, "2004 Schedule". if nothing else, its a good laugh to brighten your day. :lol:

Yah I saw it and also chimed in. It was tough because I was laughing so much. I guess the boys in fargo won't be saying crookston or montana anytime soon.

I can't believe JBB hasn't came up with one of his anti-NDSU conspiracy theories by UND as the reason why they have stooped to the level of playing NAIA and non-scholarship teams. Somehow Ralphie had a hand in this I am sure. They would die to play Crookston or Moorhead this year...it would have to be a better gate.

And don't forget.."they did beat Montana", 'cuz if you do, they will remind you! :lol:

I can't believe JBB hasn't came up with one of his anti-NDSU conspiracy theories by UND as the reason why they have stooped to the level of playing NAIA and non-scholarship teams. Somehow Ralphie had a hand in this I am sure. They would die to play Crookston or Moorhead this year...it would have to be a better gate.

And don't forget.."they did beat Montana", 'cuz if you do, they will remind you! :lol:

you are absolutely correct teamsioux, Ralph Engelstad, Roger Thomas and the UND hockey program will all be brought up in that topic by JBB at some time. but then after half a bottle of jim beam, his other personality will step in and say "who is UND, and why would i care about a lower-division school?" he is absolutely ridiculous. i wonder how many medications he is on. ;)